Skinng and making money?

Hi guys, i am a lvl 85 mage and have enchanting and tailoring maxed out. I was wondering if it would be smart to drop tailoring and pick up skinning as i heard it is a great money maker selling straight raw materials. Anyone can give me some info/advice it would be much appreciated, thank you!

Depends purely on how well leather sells on your server, or any raw mats that is. Personally i would stick with the tailoring and enchanting, make stuff with tailoring, disenchant------------> sell on ah.

I wouldn't do it. It costs a lot of gold to level a profession, so you've already made quite an investment. And once you're at the max, you really get the monetary benefit of crafting. Leather depends on the value on your server, and your ability to farm continuously.

I would compare the profitability of high level items you can craft, bags, and spellthreads. Cloth Scavenging alone makes you a better farmer than people with other professions. These are in much higher demand than leather.

Keep tailoring. Come MoP, everyone is gonna need bags as they level their monks and Pandaren. Prices will spike. If you're gonna do skinning, do it on an alt. IMHO, it's never worth dropping a crafting profession over a gathering one, unless it no longer suits your character/spec. But Tailoring and Enchanting will always benefit a mage.

The addon I link to in my sig helps me compare prices so I know how much gold each profession will make me.

If people are making monk/pandas they prbly already have bags ready.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    If people are making monk/pandas they prbly already have bags ready.
    Some, but definitely not all. Not everyone will make a new toon on day 1. The demand will always be there, and crafting bags, gear, enhancements will always result in quicker gold than farming if, and only if, you know your economy well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snolove View Post
    Hi guys, i am a lvl 85 mage and have enchanting and tailoring maxed out. I was wondering if it would be smart to drop tailoring and pick up skinning as i heard it is a great money maker selling straight raw materials. Anyone can give me some info/advice it would be much appreciated, thank you!
    Stick with Enchanting and Tailoring. They're the best professions for a Mage AND you'll make more money with them when MoP hits.

Awesome thanks for the help guys!

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I'd stick with enchanting/tailoring if I was you. Bags are always great sellers, specially with an expansion around the corner.

Skinning does make me a decent profit. When I get bored, I farm some leathers and turn 'm into Heavy Savage Leather and those sell off in stacks of 10 for 350-450g. You can prob sell the regular leather too, on my realm it's about the same price. I just prefer selling Heavy ones.

^ what he said

Check some other posts in the forums about tailoring.
    Tailoring is good and you can farm loads while getting some potion of treasure finding!