Question to Mesmers

People who leveld post-15 as mesmer - how did you go about your PVE fights?

I had a staggering issue of survival. Even more alarming was how difficult it was to get credit in aoe fights. I only made it to about level 5.

All in all I really enjoyed the mesmer playstyle, but dying so much, and so quickly was kind of frustrating. I didn't find any real survival abilities outside of Sword's 2. I'm sure I just didn't fully understand the class, so here I am asking what others did.

I preferred the staff and greatsword myself. Chaos storm (staff 5) along with the other skills made it feel pretty good in aoe fights with the 1 skill being a bounce.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    People who leveld post-15 as mesmer - how did you go about your PVE fights?

I had a staggering issue of survival. Even more alarming was how difficult it was to get credit in aoe fights. I only made it to about level 5.

All in all I really enjoyed the mesmer playstyle, but dying so much, and so quickly was kind of frustrating. I didn't find any real survival abilities outside of Sword's 2. I'm sure I just didn't fully understand the class, so here I am asking what others did.
    I played staff/greatsword. With staff I would shoot a mob once, then pop 2/3 which summon clones which attack the mob and run around in circles until it died. If it was AoE I used chaos storm which is amazing. Debuffs all enemies in it, buffs allies in it and does good damage. I'd also run my clones in and blow them up for extra damage.

Greatsword does damage the further away an enemy is on 1, 2 throws your sword at enemy and it bounces between enemies and allys and summons a clone. 3 is a decent sized hit but makes you stop to cast which results in mobs catching you. 4 summons a berserk that cripples so that was good and 5 is an aoe frontal cone knockback which I used with chaos storm and clones.

You will notice, once they fix it that clones should pull mobs. For example on staff, 2 makes you roll and summon an add but mobs will just ignore it and chase you which I was told is being fixed.

I also used decoy (summons clone and makes you invis) as well as the invis line (you drop a line on the ground and anyone who runs through it gains invis) to drop mob aggro.

Once you learn the mechanics of running around and dodging as you play for a bit longer living becomes easier. I didn't die much unless I got one shot killed (freaking cannons, trebuchets or boss mechanics) or got ganked by 3 mobs and/or multiple players but I used invis to hide like I said.

Deleted
    There is whole thread about mesmers: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...cussion-Thread

Here are my toughts about mesmers:
    Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    I just love playing this profession. This is what melee-caster hybrid should be.

I have been playing spesially sword&sword, sword&pistol and scepter&focus. I have been using sword&sword for sigle target, sword&pistol when I do not know what to expect and scepter&focus for kiting stuff (high level mob trolling) ^_^

I use illusionary leap to get fast to the target's range (since illusions seems to move faster, note: works only if you cast it when you are close enough, is you cast it too soon the timewindow to leap will close before illusion is on the mob). After cripple is wearing off from target and some damage is done/taken I roll off or use blink to get distance and create new illusion( that I will use to leap back to target).

I have also used staff and 2h sword, both have their uses on huge AoE zergs. But I really prefer one hand weapon playstyle, less "spam and run".

Torch skills are still on progress. I forgot to buy it, since I didn't have enough karma at that point

Don't mess with my illusions (this toon was tiny... like,10-years girl old tiny and it could have been made even tinier >_>)
    [COLOR="red"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    The glow comes from main hand sword skill number 1 after you have used it first time.... aka Mind Gash is ready. On that screen I'm using sword&pistol. Sword&sword was my faforite after I undertood how and when use Illusionary Riposte. I really liked how I could swap from close combat to "pure caster". I did pvp with sword&sword and swaped to staff or 2H sword when the enemy was too harsh for swords.

Here is one rare situation on low level where I used scepter&pistol. That mob was really annoying, I died there when trying to kill it with 2H sword or sword&sword. So I used this unusual combination to have plenty of illusions. As you can see I also took bink instead of signet/mantra. I just needed to keep distance. ^_^