Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Scared to do Ranked...

Just like the title says, I'm a little scared to start ranked out. I just feel like I would lose my starting 5 and get sent to the bottom of ELO hell...

Normally I play support or jungle since I tend to pick last for the team. I'm a pretty decent jungler and a beast support, but I usually get paired with the 20hp diving Graves or miss arrow from melee range Ashe at bot. Whenever I gank on my jungling champs (Voli, Jax, and Xin (tried Lee Sin just didn't like the feel on him)) I can ever secure the kill, but I usually send them back to base. I can do solo top rather well, but I play bot or jungle so often that I usually overextend myself way too far and get ganked. AP mid is my worst role, but I'm decent with champs that don't have too many skill shots, like Cassi (played Lux once and epic failed so hard...).

I guess I'm asking if it's possible to get to the decent ratings (1450+) with relying on other people playing support? Or can I be a semidecent jungler and hope the lanes don't suck and push constantly so I can get the assists/kills I need?

Also, any tips on how to land skill shots better? I already smart cast, and try to predict movements but the only one I consistently land is Morg's Q because it's wider than most other skill shots.

P.S. First post! Long, long, longggggg time lurker

Deleted
    If you want to succed in ranked you can't rely on other people carrying your team. I've only played a couple of matches yet but all of those have included trolls on my team.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by malfecient View Post
    Just like the title says, I'm a little scared to start ranked out. I just feel like I would lose my starting 5 and get sent to the bottom of ELO hell...

Normally I play support or jungle since I tend to pick last for the team. I'm a pretty decent jungler and a beast support, but I usually get paired with the 20hp diving Graves or miss arrow from melee range Ashe at bot. Whenever I gank on my jungling champs (Voli, Jax, and Xin (tried Lee Sin just didn't like the feel on him)) I can ever secure the kill, but I usually send them back to base. I can do solo top rather well, but I play bot or jungle so often that I usually overextend myself way too far and get ganked. AP mid is my worst role, but I'm decent with champs that don't have too many skill shots, like Cassi (played Lux once and epic failed so hard...).

I guess I'm asking if it's possible to get to the decent ratings (1450+) with relying on other people playing support? Or can I be a semidecent jungler and hope the lanes don't suck and push constantly so I can get the assists/kills I need?

Also, any tips on how to land skill shots better? I already smart cast, and try to predict movements but the only one I consistently land is Morg's Q because it's wider than most other skill shots.

I feel quite like you, on the part of doing ranked games... However i must say that if you can land Morgana's Q, then you should be able to hit with almost anything... It moves very slowly, so it is easy to dodge... I don't really play ranked, but i am lvl 30, and i in 4/5 games i end up with a score like 16/5/?

I always do good on Lee Sin for some reason, his jungling is easy and safe, if you know how to do it...

Again, if you don't play ranked just because you are afraid of getting a bad Elo ranking, then you should just go ahead... Really it would be more stupid to never try ranked, rather than never do so because you are afraid of getting a bad rank...

We are all different, and most champions can do well if you play them well, so you know better than i what champions you can pick... Really i can't help much on this topic, you are the only one able to do anything here...

Morgana can be a beast in ranked, so if no one has picked AP mid, you could try her out there... Just play passively and farm early game, and then when you are well farmed go stomp the enemy team...

Good luck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanaki View Post
    Morgana can be a beast in ranked, so if no one has picked AP mid, you could try her out there... Just play passively and farm early game, and then when you are well farmed go stomp the enemy team...
    Morgana counters everyone xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by malfecient View Post

Here's the thing: Don't play ranked yet. You will just fail, giving both you and other people horrible experiences. Keep playing draft, learn a few champs in every role, and come back when you are comfortable. It's the best for everyone, to be honest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasios View Post
    Here's the thing: Don't play ranked yet. You will just fail, giving both you and other people horrible experiences. Keep playing draft, learn a few champs in every role, and come back when you are comfortable. It's the best for everyone, to be honest.
    Or just play ranked as we're already deep into Season 2. Your rank will reset soon enough.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

If you have any friends you can do ranked with (duo queue), that makes the whole experience a LOT better.

Otherwise, unless you feel good enough to handle ranked, just do some regular PvP and then give it a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do it during the day on weekdays, avoid weekends.

Deleted
    Don´t play ranked.

There is basically no reason to play ranked games imo, you will just get fed up with it and rage+ quit the game. It´s just gonna be a bunch of games were you may play well, but in most cases that wont matter since other lanes will ALWAYS be feeding.

I don´t know a single person who has had a positive experience in solo queue.
    Last edited by mmoc704a8b6868; 2012-04-30 at 03:59 PM.

Rule #1 and the only rule... There is no elo hell... Anything below 1600 is easily carried. If you believe your good, then play as a carry not a jungler.. Junglers are rarely able to carry a game... Either pick a really strong mid champ that can carry such as cass or just go ad...Other than that you have to rely on your team, which isnt always the best idea... And if try hard enough, you can carry with anything... Nothing more fun than carrying with a Galio and getting a penta with your ult :3

Adding this: Like i said 1600 n below is easy to Solo carry.... Anything higher i would suggest duo'ing with another good player... You dont always win but your chance to win goes up by quite a bit.

To be honest I just started because it's the end of the season so its 'Meh" and my normal games are just making me rage (12 straight losses where I easily had more kills than carries as tanks/supports.. without trying to take them. Dying to singed poison and stuff -_-). Anyway, My first 3 games so far have all been victories because I play carry/Tanky-carry champs. Ashe, Fiora and J-4 so far have gotten me three wins and mostly the same champs get banned. Honestly if you're a decent player give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Solmyr13 View Post
    To be honest I just started because it's the end of the season so its 'Meh" and my normal games are just making me rage (12 straight losses where I easily had more kills than carries as tanks/supports.. without trying to take them. Dying to singed poison and stuff -_-). Anyway, My first 3 games so far have all been victories because I play carry/Tanky-carry champs. Ashe, Fiora and J-4 so far have gotten me three wins and mostly the same champs get banned. Honestly if you're a decent player give it a shot.
    season 2 is ending? any source to confirm this? i thought a season usually lasts around a year.

There is no point is being scared of ranked. If you refuse to do it you want even have an ELO so you may as well make some effort. Also, at any ELO there are horrible players and leavers and your team is entirely luck of the draw.

A friend of mine who has terrible all negative stats in ranked managed to place at 1340 ELO after he was carried every game.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpoker View Post
    season 2 is ending? any source to confirm this? i thought a season usually lasts around a year.
    People are just assuming. Riot has not said when the end is yet, though we can assume its about 4-5 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Learn to jungle very well.
    I don't know how to jungle but I tried it once. Played with Udyr. Went blue, killed blue, killed wolves, went to counter jungle, got first blood, got enemy's red, ganked lane, got fed and farmed and we won the game cause of me.

Just learn to do something VERY good so that you can carry your team if needed. Also, a pro tip is: don't rely on kills. Farm creeps, it's the best option.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Learn to jungle very well.
    Just learn to do something VERY good so that you can carry your team if needed. Also, a pro tip is: don't rely on kills. Farm creeps, it's the best option.
    I guess if you can't figure out the concept of last hitting...jungle or GP/5 support.

What I mean is...that isn't a pro tip...its a basic objective.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    I guess if you can't figure out the concept of last hitting...jungle or GP/5 support.

What I mean is...that isn't a pro tip...its a basic objective.
    And what I meant is: I've seen alot of people turret diving or something just to get a kill. But they don't understand that they give gold to 2 people, not 1...

doesnt matter if u dont play its just as bad as playing and losing .. either way its not helping ur elo in anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    And what I meant is: I've seen alot of people turret diving or something just to get a kill. But they don't understand that they give gold to 2 people, not 1...
    tower diving is not bad. Got enough kills by towerdiving at level 3-4. The problem is that you have to be fast and if you fail retreat asap or you'll die. Additionally if you look at bot lane (usually the only 2vs2 lane), it would be worth losing the support for getting a kill on the enemy AD carry

Can I chime in quickly on what you said at the end on skill shots?

I used to have a problem with them, then I started doing something called 'No hesitation'. Lets say Im playing mundo. I turn my cleavers onto smartcast and when I throw them I don't even think about it or think about where my mouse cursor is. Or when I play Ashe I don't even look at the arrow I just press R and click on the minimap. The reason for this is that when I think about it I always over think about it. If I dont smartcast my cleavers, I will be trying to line them up, or if I smartcast them and think about it. Instead, by not hesitating for even a milisecond and just throwing it, I find I land nearly all of my skill shots these days.

However, you mentioned lee sin and this is one I have to talk about. Every time someone opens Q on a gank I die a little inside. Because it will miss from the bush 90% of the time. It is far easier to either ward jump in, or W to a minion, then E (2hit) E to slow them, and then melee range+slow you will always land your Q. And, since you are using it later in the gank when they have lower health, it makes it do so much more damage. If you are pro and can land your Qs from a bush right on the edge of range go for it. But if you miss it's totally wasted time.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?