Computer gods and demigods, give me your advice!

So I'm planning to buy a new computer, a desktop computer after my laptop. I need to run games like Skyrim with good FPS, and still run incoming newer games, perhaps like Guild Wars 2.

So, the only thing I'm confused about is the graphic card. I want your advice, and I'm asking this simple question. I saw this already built computer, which has the card named Nvidia Geforce GTX550 with 1Gt GDDR5. I can't find it alone, there is these cards that is named all the same but "GT550 Ti". While I checked the other computers, there was the Ti marks on the same shop, but not in this Nvidia one. So, is it the different device or is it some different at all, with performance?

And what could be quite "cheap" and good performance offered for my game plans?

Deleted
    I don't see people recommending the 550 a lot, and when it does get mentioned it's not really positive.

I have a 560ti, and with the latest drivers ( these gave a performance boost for some games ) I can run Skyrim with everything set to Ultra with 40-ish fps, which is playable.

The card would cost around 200 euros right now.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is likely the same GPU, I would steer clear of it, try to get a rig with a 560 Ti, as it can run Skyrim pretty damn smoothly.

For the record, I run 1920x1080 Skyrim with nearly max settings with high res texture pack and my fps is almost always capped at 60 fps. Skyrim is extremely NVidia friendly, however if you can wait/save up money, I'd really suggest seeing how the GTX 670 or 660 Ti do, but the 550 Ti is not at all a GPU I would suggest for any serious gaming, however if the resolution is 1680x1050 or less, you may be able to get away with it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    My spare machine is running a 550, main a 560. While the 550 isn't too bad - it runs most games on max or close to on an i5 at over 40fps, but it won't last more than a year or so with new games. the 560 and 570 have a bit of staying power however.

I'm quite tempted myself to keep an eye out for the 660. Apparently the 680 is simply a rebranded 670. Hmph. They've now announced a 690 too.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 690 is a dual GPU though and likely will have a very small supply and it's a true enthusiast level card, unless you're planning to run NVidia 3D surround on 3 monitors 5760x1080 I believe it is, don't even bring it up. :P

Still, the 680 is about equal to 7970s to an extent, the less VRAM means it tends to fall behind at larger resolutions on VRAM heavy games, though.
    "A flower.

Okay, I expected that and read about GTX550 too, not very recommended. But say, how about computer with these stats:

- Intel® Core i7 2600K - 3.4GHz - 8MB
    - Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    - Samsung EcoGreen F4 2TB - 5400RPM - 32MB
    - MSI GeForce GTX 580 OC 1536MB GDDR5, 800Mhz), 2xDV

And ask more if you want to.

And yes, I'm quite a beginner in these things, so I need quite much help
    Last edited by Ishimada; 2012-05-01 at 10:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmad View Post
    Okay, I expected that and read about GTX550 too, not very recommended. But say, how about computer with these stats:

- Intel® Core i7 2600K - 3.4GHz - 8MB
    - Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    - MSI GeForce GTX 580 OC 1536MB GDDR5, 800Mhz), 2xDV

And ask more if you want to.

And yes, I'm quite a beginner in these things, so I need quite much help
    If you're not a video editor, going for a 2600k is pointless.
    For gaming a 2500k is fine. Saves you some money too.

I wouldn't go for a EcoGreen hard drive. Just go for a Spinpoint F1 7200RPM if you can.

Graphics card is a bit high end compared to the other one. This will mean that it'll be way more expensive, but you'll get better performance out of it as well of course

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nobody talks about the GTX 550 Ti because it's a terrible product. For the same price you can get a Radeon HD 7770, or a little more gets you a Radeon HD 6850.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    If you're not a video editor, going for a 2600k is pointless.
    For gaming a 2500k is fine. Saves you some money too.

I wouldn't go for a EcoGreen hard drive. Just go for a Spinpoint F1 7200RPM if you can.

Graphics card is a bit high end compared to the other one. This will mean that it'll be way more expensive, but you'll get better performance out of it as well of course
    Well this is ready-packed computer, THOR Veor from Finnish online shop, so it got my interest. And money isn't really very big problem, so is this core fine at all for my plans?

And yes, I have some plans on video editing in future, so it isn't a problem or any over my thoughts.

10+ Year Old Account
    This part would slow down the computer horribly.

7200RPM HDDs or SATA III SSDs.

Having a 5400RPM HDD as your main boot device and loader would be extremely anti-productive compared to having a 580 (old and now obsolete GPU for the price) and i7-2600K.

I suggest:

i5-2500K
    same RAM
    SATA III SSD or 7200RPM 1TB HDD
    HD 7970
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    This part would slow down the computer horribly.

7200RPM HDDs or SATA III SSDs.

Having a 5400RPM HDD as your main boot device and loader would be extremely anti-productive compared to having a 580 (old and now obsolete GPU for the price) and i7-2600K.

I suggest:

i5-2500K
    same RAM
    SATA III SSD or 7200RPM 1TB HDD
    HD 7970
    - Intel® Core i5 2500K - 3.3GHz - 6MB
    - Corsair 16GB XMS3 1600MHz
    - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB - 7200RPM - 32MB
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB GDDR5 732Mhz

Found this one, even cheaper than the first one. Better?
    At least, I will update my computer as soon as it gets too slow for me.

10+ Year Old Account

Certainly better, however the GTX 570 is still kind of... bleh old school. It's a good card, but I'm sure you'll be overpaying for it by a good amount.

How much are you paying for this rig? I'd love to get one of the Finnish folks in here who would know better how much you'd be being overcharged.

Had you shown me this rig like 4 months ago, I would have been like zomg buy it, however a whole slew of next-gen cards from both companies have been released.

How long can you wait for the new computer?
    "A flower.

Deleted

Much better. The 570 is a fine card as well.

With the money you're saving you could perhaps buy an SSD, this will increase boot times ( or well, decrease the time it needs to boot ) and overall system performance as well
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-05-01 at 10:35 AM.

Certainly better, however the GTX 570 is still kind of... bleh old school. It's a good card, but I'm sure you'll be overpaying for it by a good amount.

How much are you paying for this rig? I'd love to get one of the Finnish folks in here who would know better how much you'd be being overcharged.

Had you shown me this rig like 4 months ago, I would have been like zomg buy it, however a whole slew of next-gen cards from both companies have been released.

How long can you wait for the new computer?
    I'm paying as a monthly bill, 99€ / month for the more expensive, and cheaper is 83€ / month for 12 months. And when I need to, I replace the graphic card. So the last one is better, I guess I'll order that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz
    Much better. The 570 is a fine card as well.

With the money you're saving you could perhaps buy an SSD, this will increase boot times and overall system performance as well
    I appreciate your advice, both of you. So anyway, when I need to replace my graphics card, I join again to talk here.

Thanks for both!

15+ Year Old Account
    If it's this pre-built you are talking about, then, holy shit! That's going way below it's actual price. It's so cheap that I'm actually wondering what's the catch o_O. For the record that's 2600k build with gtx 580, 120gb SSD, windows and decent case and PSU for 1100€ / $1100. Worth more than 1500€ in components.

It's not an ideal build however for that price it's crazy awesome

Edit: Maybe it's not showing the price correctly for me. 44€/month - 1099€ total?
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2012-05-01 at 10:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question is... what chipset do the motherboards have? >_>

Oy! The THOR Veor has a P67 mobo... but it's an MSI mobo, not one I'd trust based on their reputation in the mobo market during Sandy Bridge's time.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oy! The THOR Veor has a P67 mobo... but it's an MSI mobo, not one I'd trust based on their reputation in the mobo market during Sandy Bridge's time.
    That's still not enough to justify 400€ drop in price :P The MSI mobo is just fine and working board and especially at that price, that deal is a bargain.

I think what we are seeing here is the effect of ivy bridge on the prebuilds. They can't really sell the invidual chips below the retail price but when they put them inside pc's they can sell it however low they deem profitable. They will have to clear the older generation stock one way or another especially as Sandy has lost is "newest generation" sellpoint value in prebuilds.

What that means for you if you are shopping for a prebuild? You are practically getting a 1500€ pc for 1100€ because it's not the newest new anymore but which, due to the lacking performance of the newer generation, is still perfectly viable computer and extremeally close performance wise.

Question is... what chipset do the motherboards have? >_>

It's not Veor which I'm buying, it's the Jords version. But the same motherboard P67A. I still get 2 years warranty. But I've ordered this one, and I give my trust to it. If it's going to live at least longer than my older desktop PC then I'm happy!

---------- Post added 2012-05-02 at 08:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post

Edit: Maybe it's not showing the price correctly for me. 44€/month - 1099€ total?
    It's showing 36 month payment time first So it's 99 €/month for 12 months I guess.
    Last edited by Ishimada; 2012-05-02 at 08:03 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The jords version is more finely optimized as is but Veor actually gave more for your money. Jords is 900€ which is roughly 200€ less in total. You'll lose about 350€ worth of components though (i7 2600k downgraded to 2500k, no SSD, gtx 580 downgraded to 570).