Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Hmmmm, full inventory, you sure about that? Did it happen to be full of crafting items? Did you know you can right click on any crafting item, and it will be sent straight to your bank's special super-organized crafting item tab, which has a spot for every crafting item in the game?

A bank that, at least for the Charr's Black Citadel, is rrrrrrrrright next to all of the crafting stations?
    Actually, a lot of the blue quality crafting items weren't allowed to go in there, so I don't think it's complete yet. Tiny Fangs, for example.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Sshhh, im trying to exploit limited inventory space.

Plus that costs me a whole 20 copper.

I'm OCD about certain things, I like having a lot of free inventory space. I'm out doing DEs and I pick up light armor I can't wear, I'd like to be able to send it to my alt. Sure it won't be an issue later when I have more than 30 bag slots, but it's a pain when my inventory is constantly full. Dunno bout you, but my inventory was full of a LOT of crap that looked like "I can't use this, but it's probably useful... I'll hold on to it." Not talking about grey items obviously. I want to mail it precisely because I'm not logging on another alt - I'm too busy being the hero of the Norn to head back to town.
    Salvage, send salvage to bank, move on.
    The game design encourages not having to go to vendors too often.. you can't expect it to give you unlimited inventory space and packrat everything all of the time. Very few RPGs do that, and no MMORPGs that I can think of. Being able to instantly get rid of anything in your bags by either trading post or crafting bank = more than any other MMO that I can think of off the top of my head, as far as 'unlimited inventory' goes.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Actually, a lot of the blue quality crafting items weren't allowed to go in there, so I don't think it's complete yet. Tiny Fangs, for example.
    True... I found more than one NYI crafting item as well. A blue magma-somethingorother comes to mind, it was so shiny, I found only one, and I wanted to know what I could craft with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tatsurei View Post
    Unless it changes for launch, you don't have to "find a mailbox" you can mail an item from anywhere.
    Ahh, gotcha. I didn't know that!
    Religion isn't the absence of reason. It's merely the presence of faith.
    Heroes of the Storm : all day erryday

Deleted
    Considering the awful system in GW 1 of needing to meet someone in person, I'll take mail boxes lol. Having to resort to either Spamadan or a site like GW Auctions is horrible, the latter really meaning you need to coordinate with people (which is fun, as I'm from England and the vast majority of traders are running on a different time scale and the European districts aren't nearly as active).

IMO, the further away they get from trading in GW 1 the better

Hmmmm, full inventory, you sure about that? Did it happen to be full of crafting items? Did you know you can right click on any crafting item, and it will be sent straight to your bank's special super-organized crafting item tab, which has a spot for every crafting item in the game?

A bank that, at least for the Charr's Black Citadel, is rrrrrrrrright next to all of the crafting stations?
    Hah I did not, thought you had to be AT the bank to use that function. Well that would've helped. I was carrying around a lot of other crap though, so my complaint still stands. Especially my Warrior who had about 14 different weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Salvage, send salvage to bank, move on.
    The game design encourages not having to go to vendors too often.. you can't expect it to give you unlimited inventory space and packrat everything all of the time. Very few RPGs do that, and no MMORPGs that I can think of. Being able to instantly get rid of anything in your bags by either trading post or crafting bank = more than any other MMO that I can think of off the top of my head, as far as 'unlimited inventory' goes.
    The problem was that visiting a vendor was pointless, I salvaged whenever I could, but the majority of space was filled with armor/weapons that I both could and could not use, and various armor upgrades and quite a few crafting materials that did not go into crafting storage. I suppose it didn't help that my primary goal was to try out all 8 professions in the limited time I had, so I didn't get rid of anything useable.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-05-01 at 07:43 PM.

GW2 method is much better than trading. Wife and I were both playing in different areas. She had a couple of extra bags and asked me if I wanted them. She sent them via mail right from where she was and I got them instantly. Forget that it is called "mail". It was an instant transfer of an item from someone that wasn't even next to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dpcn111 View Post
    GW2 method is much better than trading. Wife and I were both playing in different areas. She had a couple of extra bags and asked me if I wanted them. She sent if via mail right from where she was and I got it instantly. Forget that it is called "mail". It was an instant transfer of an item from someone that wasn't even next to me.
    Yep, I sent items off to guildies a couple times, too. Was great!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am completely convinced that there is no trading system to prevent ectos or something similar from replacing gold like in the first. (Even though it was needed because of 100k cap)

I'm seeing so many people complain about this and I want to share my thoughts on the fact that GW2 does not have item trading like in a standard MMO, and perhaps get some discussion going.

Consider this: Do you “trade” IRL as well? What, did you give ANet a dozen apple pies when you bought GW2? :P
    No? Everything you obtain or get rid of IRL is done through currency. When you want to buy a cheeseburger, you give somebody money. Money which you may have earned by working at, for example, JC Penny's selling clothes. Instead of trading clothes to somebody in return for a hot meal, you traded around currency, which is universally important to everybody.

Because of this, I hope a trade system never happens. Then gold is actually an important currency that everybody will use for everything. Even in WoW gold is slowly becoming a proper commodity, instead of people trading items - by this I mean that, more often than not, you're going to be offering gold for something you want. Have you ever heard of GDKP runs?
    I very much look forward to player economy being controlled by REAL supply and demand.

Consider this scenario: You want the axe that your guildie has. You offer him gold for it, and it’s enough gold that he’s like “Sure, that sounds fair” and he CODs it to you in the mail.
    Later that same night he decides he wants your Shield, and you COD it to him for a similar price. Or maybe instead of going to YOU for that Shield, he takes that gold to the marketplace. Or maybe a non-guilded buddy offers him a Shield for a lower cost than what you gave him for the axe. Or maybe in a dungeon with random people later, somebody links a kick-ass helmet that he offers gold for. Or maybe he doesn’t use that gold for gear at all, but ends up using it to buy cash shop currency from somebody else so that he can buy another character slot.

See what I’m getting it? Trading is a thing of the past. There’s a reason everybody does things for money IRL, and it's currently my hope that ANet does not implement a trading system. I honestly think they're doing this intentionally so that gold is actually used as a currency.
    Dude you are so bad at analogies. Please quit making them.

Nobody trades in real life so you shouldn't trade in a fantasy based mmo? #areyoufuckingseriousrightnow

Quote Originally Posted by Aelreth View Post

Nobody trades in real life so you shouldn't trade in a fantasy based mmo? #areyoufuckingseriousrightnow
    The point is, an economy is based around currency. You can still give friends (or strangers if you want..) items, just not in exchange for items, via mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account

Somebody took a whizz in your cheerios this morning....

In all seriousness, an analogy is failed if the point doesn't get across. My point being that it appears that ArenaNet is intentionally designing this game so that the economy is actually based around gold.

I'm convinced it's the reason the economy in WoW is so crazy, and always has been... because gold isn't the end-all be-all of the economy, thanks to players simply trading goods directly. If you can trade goods directly, monetary currency loses value.

In all seriousness, an analogy is failed if the point doesn't get across. My point being that it appears that ArenaNet is intentionally designing this game so that the economy is actually based around gold.

I'm convinced it's the reason the economy in WoW is so crazy, and always has been... because gold isn't the end-all be-all of the economy, thanks to players simply trading goods directly. If you can trade goods directly, monetary currency loses value.
    Well, he does have a point. It was a pretty terrible analogy, especially considering that GW2's fantasy setting (and many other fantasy settings) are pseudo-medieval, and the bartering system of trading goods rather than coin was very much in use back then.

No, an analogy is failed the moment it gets used. The internet has far too many analogies as it is, and the majority of them are terrible and irrelevant. If you can't make the point using the ACTUAL SUBJECT AT HAND, maybe you should refrain from trying to make the point in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matheren View Post
    No, an analogy is failed the moment it gets used. The internet has far too many analogies as it is, and the majority of them are terrible and irrelevant. If you can't make the point using the ACTUAL SUBJECT AT HAND, maybe you should refrain from trying to make the point in the first place?
    Another somebody who is angry, I see.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 04:25 PM ----------

Well, he does have a point. It was a pretty terrible analogy, especially considering that GW2's fantasy setting (and many other fantasy settings) are pseudo-medieval, and the bartering system of trading goods rather than coin was very much in use back then.
    I dunno. In Game of Thrones, a medieval fantasy setting, they are quite big on using actual currency. Arya learns this the hard way in the book series.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    This is where I stopped reading. You are comparing a VIDEO GAME to REAL LIFE. Sorry, no. No argument you could possibly make after saying this matters in any way.
    It sounds like you're a teenage brat who grew up without being taught the value of money. It has absolutely NO bearing on this conversation that we're playing a video game.

Money was created by civilization because the concept of trading/bartering stopped working. If the person you're trying to trade with doesn't want what you have, then there's nothing you can do. But if you both value a form of currency, you can come to an agreed upon price, and then he can use that currency to buy something he actually needs.

Considering how civilized humans are in Tyria, let alone Asura and Charr (though I could expect Norn to still stick to bartering to some degree), I would not be surprised to see currency be so central.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 04:28 PM ----------

If you are in a group with someone and they are standing right there can you possibly give one reason why you should be forced to mail an item instead of simply handing it to them? Like seriously. One good intelligent well thought out reason would be appreciated.
    Fact 1: You don't need to be at a mailbox, you can mail from ANYWHERE
    Fact 2: There is no delay in mail, they receive it instantly
    Fact 3: You won't have a trade window constantly popping up on your screen mid-dungeon. If you want the item RIGHT STAT NOW you can open your mail and grab it, but if you want to just leave it in your bags, you don't even have to open the mail yet
    Fact 4: If you decide you want something in return for your item, you can attach a COD price in currency, which you can then use to buy something you actually need from somebody else, rather than the person you are trying to "trade" with digging in their bags for something you actually want. This causes the process of trading to be quick and painless.

(for that matter, did you EVER sell enchants/gems/flasks/potions/gear, and have them tip you with their own gems or potions or enchants? NO THEY TIPPED YOU IN GOLD)
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-01 at 09:30 PM.

Player A has an item and 10g. Player B has an item and 10g. Players trade items. There are still 2 items and 20g in the world.

Same thing instead player A buys the item from player B. Now Player B has 20g and no items. Player A has 2 items and no gold. There are still 2 items and 20g in the world.

All this is is an inconvenience... it does jack crap against inflation and currency devaluing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Player A has an item and 10g. Player B has an item and 10g. Players trade items. There are still 2 items and 20g in the world.

Same thing instead player A buys the item from player B. Now Player B has 20g and no items. Player A has 2 items and no gold. There are still 2 items and 20g in the world.

All this is is an inconvenience... it does jack crap against inflation and currency devaluing.
    You're making the assumption that Player A wants the item that Player B has and doesn't place more value on the 10g. That's why trading fails.

If people interact with each other in an economy directly driven by gold, as I am describing, gold cannot inflate (rapidly, anyways) because everybody needs gold to get everything, and how much gold you're able to sell an item for will greatly depend on supply and demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, you are comparing a VIDEO GAME to REAL LIFE.
    Again, that doesn't matter. It's no different.

In real life, you interact with somebody else, both trying to get something you want.
    In a video game, you interact with another player, both trying to get something you want.

It's no different. The ONLY difference is whether or not the items you are selling/buying/trading are virtual.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 04:34 PM ----------

Civilization created trading and currency is nothing more than an extension of that. Even using currency you are consistently making trades. You trade your employer the use of your labor for money. You then trade your money to stores for things you need. In essence you are simply trading.
    And now you see why you don't need the ability to trade in GW2, and why it's perfectly okay to instead COD everything to everybody so that we're all simply exchanging currency for the items we require. Thank you for helping to prove my point.

Since everybody values currency, trading will be a thing of the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I see is "I am an ANet fanboy and if this is how they want it then I will defend it in any way i possibly can." Just stop.
    And now you show just how young you really are. I don't defend ArenaNet every way I can. If you actually were to notice my post history, you'd see me rather tirelessly complaining about the story writing of the personal story, as well as complaining about the disparity of balance between melee and ranged weapons. I simply took the time to actually use my freaking brain to see why trading is not necessary in this game, and why it might be that ANet intentionally not including it. I still believe it's actually quite an ingenious method of ensuring that the players value gold, and continue to value gold, for years to come, rather than having players resort to some secondary, unofficial in-game currency.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 04:38 PM ----------

No difference between a video game and real life. Really? Sorry, not wasting anymore time on you.
    In this situation, no, there is not a difference. Whether you're trading real items or virtual items, the fact that both systems are an economy is all that matters. The basic rules of economics will still apply.

I'm trading stuff with friends and neighbors quite regularly so...? Food, home appliances, cds, books, tools and so on.

Not saying that the game really needs a system like that, but claiming that nobody trades anything anymore irl is just not true.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral