10+ Year Old Account

Empowered Shadow /Dark Archangel detailed explanation needed.

I read Kilee's guide in the sticky, and while very informative, the the left the 2 buffs in question up in the air. Yes the guide tells you, to get the buffs up, and its good to keep them up, but doesn't explain why, and how they benefit you, and why they are important.

The guide seems to assume you already know this.

Is there somebody out there that can break this down for me?

Thank you guys in advance.

Empowered Shadows increases your DoT damage, and scales with your mastery. In fact, Empowered Shadows is the only thing that makes Mastery 1/2 way decent for Shadow Priests. So the general idea is.. if you cast VT or DP while Empowered Shadows is active, those spells will do x% more damage. In more detail, as an opener, you probably start with DoT's I assume... then you MF til you get an orb. Immediately MB to put up Emp Shadows and recast VT and DP so they get the benefit of the buff you just put up. Then just try your best to maintain that Empowered Shadows buff so that you never recast VT or DP while it's not up.

Dark Archangel is your basic damage CD. You can more or less use it on CD, tho it's best to use right after a DoT refresh so that you can use the full time MBing and MFing. You can also try to horde it for increased damage phases, yadda yadda yadda... but hopefully I've given you the info you wanted.

Empowered Shadow: Increased Shadow DoT damage by X% (dependant on mastery) for its duration. It affects Shadow Word: Pain, Devouring Plague, Vampiric Touch, and Mind Flay, and Mind Sear.

Dark Evangelism: Increased DoT damage by 10% (at full stacks). Cancelled upon casting Dark Archangel, but not exclusive (can restack while under DAA's effects).
    Dark Archangel: Increased Mind Flay, Mind Spike, Mind Blast, and Shadow Word: Death damage by 15%.

Not having Dark Evangelism and Empowered Shadows up and casting a Devouring Plague or Vampiric Touch means that those spells are casting your DoTs at a 67% efficiency at best.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Empowered Shadow: Increased Shadow DoT damage by X% (dependant on mastery) for its duration. It affects Shadow Word: Pain, Devouring Plague, Vampiric Touch, and Mind Flay, and Mind Sear.

Dark Evangelism: Increased DoT damage by 10% (at full stacks). Cancelled upon casting Dark Archangel, but not exclusive (can restack while under DAA's effects).
    Dark Archangel: Increased Mind Flay, Mind Spike, Mind Blast, and Shadow Word: Death damage by 15%.

Not having Dark Evangelism and Empowered Shadows up and casting a Devouring Plague or Vampiric Touch means that those spells are casting your DoTs at a 67% efficiency at best.
    So with Dark evangelism, should you re apply dots after it gets to 5 stacks, or does it auto scale the dots that were already on the mob?

15+ Year Old Account
    from what i gathered (i dont play spriest so don't quote me) you want to refresh dots BEFORE you use DE so that you can use the entire buff doing DD spells without the DoTs dropping off?

It auto scales Shadow Word: Pain when it is refreshed by Mind Flay, but Devouring Plague and Vampiric Touch need to be recast in order to benefit from Dark Evangelism. However, since DA is only a 10% increase in damage, it may not be worth recasting DP and VT (put another way, you might get more damage by casting Mind Flay, rather than recasting DP/VT, for a 10% damage increase, while they still have a long duration left). This is also how Empowered Shadows works (however, since it provides a much bigger boost to DP/VT's damage, it is usually worth recasting these two if they were not originally affected by ES).

10+ Year Old Account
    SWEET, thanks guys