Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Only thing I can see is that you it seems like you were looking for someone to craft the helm. Therefore, it was probably the blacksmith that responded to you. And as thus, I'd say it's your responsibility to tip appropriately.

However, it does sound like the guy was being a total douche, and demanding a tip is then therefore not a tip. If it was agreed ahead of time, like he responded that he could make it and tips are appreciated, then it would be your bad. But I highly doubt it's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    However, it does sound like the guy was being a total douche, and demanding a tip is then therefore not a tip.
    Its still a tip. Gratuity being included in bills is nothing new.

That's not how this played out tho, and personally, this is why I stopped crafting for non-guildies long ago. People invariably think that THEY are doing me a favor while I wait for them to ask all their buddies if they have the mats, then buy a couple off AH, and try to see if they can get some from me... then 10 minutes later I can finally craft what they want... for a 5 gold 'tip'.

And as far as getting stuff crafted myself, if I can't afford to tip 50-100g+ for it, its not worth bothering getting crafted in the first place.

Deleted
    Back when I was actively doing stuff for people, I kindly asked for tip, I just made sure to tell I don't care whether it was 1c or whatever amount of gold. If they still refused (don't think anyone did though), I would've given the thin anyways. And this was in TBC as enchanter, as in people actually had to communicate and not just go to AH. I suppose it ripped off my own profit though.. then again gold was easy to come by even then. And I randomly got quite high tips.

Nowadays I just do stuff for guildees or friends, and well, I don't even bother to ask from them (as I didn't in TBC). Even if I happen to do something for some random (friend's friend probably), I can't expect anyone to pay 1k tips and less amount of gold seems to be kinda reduntant nowadays. I still do thank for any amount of tip though.

There's always two sides to every story. Trying to hit the trade button without entering a tip is the same as not giving one and it's understandable that he got upset. Just because you had to wait 15 minutes isn't his fault. If it takes that long to get something you should be even more grateful and not try and screw people over. Me personally, when people don't tip I keep the item I made and give them the raw materials back if I know i have them available on an alt.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't tip him, I think its a nice thing to do.
    Should he have ranted in trade chat... hell no.

On a side note.
    As a mage, I don't mind not getting a tip for porting people.
    Its when I don't get thanked I feel a bit cheated.

If a payment is required then it is called a fee as opposed to a tip and should be stated as such.
    If they don't mention a fee, or only mention a tip then it is entirely optional.

However tips are good manners, and if you keep someone waiting or otherwise cause difficulties then it is the least you can do.

Usually they will have made me wait for a while if I dont tip them. What I am always amused at is the people who take 10 mins to get one item crafted or enchanted with 0 tip, than are surprised when i refuse to do a second item or enchant.
    Watch out for liberals. Reason and knowledge are contagious and you might catch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No tipping is not required.
    I personally however give out tips if no fee is asked just as a personal thank you to the person. When I craft something I never ask for a fee and make it clear as to not confuse the person before hand, and people will still tip because they're nice people.

In short tipping is not required but it is a kind act and as such you probably should.

To the OP's situation: The guy who made you the first item was clearly exercising bad manners by throwing insults at you for such a thing (of course, he had assumed you weren't going to tip him, which (in my opinion) would be bad mannered). Now I don't think asking for a tip or a fee is bad mannered (I'm going to ignore the discussion on the difference between a tip and a fee). I'd say it's more well mannered to not ask one for a minor thing like that, but it's not unreasonable, and not insulting.

However, it's pretty bad mannered by you to not tip him or pay his fee or w/e. Sure, you intended to do so right from the start, and was just a bit too quick to hit trade, which made him jump to conclusions. But that still doesn't change the fact that in the end, you did refuse to pay/tip him for his time, and that is (in my opinion), bad mannered, in a transaction like that.

Now this doesn't mean I think the blacksmith or you are a douchebag/idiot/whatever. But neither of you were on your best behavior during this whole encounter.
    -

Deleted
    It is all upto ur countrys habbits and such, in finland people dont really tip much.

Tip is a tip. Fee is a Fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelfie View Post
    If you were going to a restaurant, and the waiter (while writing down your order) demands that you tip him, would you do that? (Let's assume it's the same guy making the food)
    Both the restaurant and waiter are still making money off you at that point regardless of your tipping decision.

In this case, the op is expecting everyone to perform free work without the expectation of some sort of compensation. Most people won't ask for a tip in game, but it is always expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Would you ever not tip a waitress? I consider tipping for services in Warcraft as socially expected as tipping service professionals in real life.

Tipping isn't required, but not tipping is incredibly rude.
    Actually the only reason you tip a waitress/waiter is to throw them a bone because they get screwed on pay. Real professionals don't get tips for their services; I don't get a $20 tip from my boss because I made the website run faster. As a crafter I never expect a tip unless I'm making some rare drop (e.g. raid crafting recipe). Otherwise, the person demanding the tip would have leveled their profession anyways so saying "I put time into it" is a moot point, since they didn't put time into it specifically for the person who is supposed to tip and the item would have been in their list by virtue of leveling the profession.

Secondly, a tip denotes optional and of varying amounts. Stating "mats + tip" means it's not a tip, it's a "service charge".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beigemore View Post
    Both the restaurant and waiter are still making money off you at that point regardless of your tipping decision.

In this case, the op is expecting everyone to perform free work without the expectation of some sort of compensation. Most people won't ask for a tip in game, but it is always expected.
    And then it is a fee. Tip by very definition is a gratuity payment made at the customer's discretion and cannot be expected to be mandatory to receive the service as a fee would. If you fully expect to be compensated to craft because you put in the work and gold to level that profession or whatever reason that is fine but the onus is on you to state that fee beforehand. Everyone's aggravation would be solved if everyone, including the supplier/crafter, where upfront with their expectations of the transactions. It's why shops have prices on their goods rather than living off the largesse of their customers grateful for their service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I never ask for tips personally usually just keep the window open for a second or two then either they've already clicked trade or I will click it then. If they tipped me great! If they didn't I probably wont craft for them again (depending on what they get made). Just last night I cut about 20 epic gems for someone and the same second I put everything in the window they clicked trade, not even a thought.

A simple tip would have saved you all this trouble. Imagine the amount of gold you would've earned back without this thread and time spent on /trade between you and him. A simple tip spells intangible profit for you in the long run.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    that guy is a idiot dose your pizza man show up and start demanding he needs a tip? No so neither should he.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are not in the wrong, however it is also people like you that make me agreed on a fee before I craft anything or do anything for anyone.

Deleted
    Time is money.

Do you think a player would take the time to craft something for you if it didn't benefit them?
    So is it assumable that when u get some1 to craft something for you, you tip them?
    Or are u in the understanding that everyone in WoW runs a wellfare buisiness?

With guildies or friends its different, but when someone random asks my time to craft them stuff, i wan't gold for it.
    Or do you go to shoe-repairman / laundryman too (IRL) without tipping them for their effort?