Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question What is the Next Big Thing??? Let me know what you think!!

So yeah, I'm sure this question has been asked around here already; But what do you guys think it's gonna be the NEW thing?? And when I say "New" I mean like WoW big. A game with over 10 million subscribers that lasts over 7 years and keeps us all hooked for that long.
    Also interested to hear about what you might be waiting for, since I've heard about a lot of new games coming out in the near future (tho I barely have time to keep up with them all, not to mention trying to meet raid days - im a doctor, so life's kinda hectic most of the times -)

Anyway! Interested in reading your thoughts!
    "Ping pong wing wong king kong cheech and chong hop hip kajagoogoo!"

Deleted
    well in comparison with WoW and coffee, coffee has more "subscribers". But i assume that the next big thing is something simple like minecraft, but with a lot of potential

10+ Year Old Account
    probably when we come to the point where you can put glasses on and actually have it feel like your in the world your playing, making that to a MMO would just be mindblowing
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onaturi View Post
    well in comparison with WoW and coffee, coffee has more "subscribers". But i assume that the next big thing is something simple like minecraft, but with a lot of potential
    "Coffee"? Was that ironic? (I mean, if there's a game called coffee I didnt know lol) I do love coffee tho.

Blizzard hope it will be Titan. But at a more deeper level, there may never be another 'big thing' game. I think WoW landed at just the right time. The internet was booming, more people than ever were using it for long periods of time and it was the place to be. Sadly the internet is shrinking now. Not as many people use it as much as they used to. Sure, they use it. But for very specific things they want, like facebook and email. I don't think WoW would be as successful if it were released today. The internet has peaked imho.. and so have online games.
    Last edited by Collected; 2012-05-02 at 03:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Blizzard hope it will be Titan.
    So do I. And I'm really excited about it... But since I haven't seen any news on it yet, I can't count it as a parameter.

One word: Titan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman299 View Post
    Titan, GTA 5

---------- Post added 2012-05-02 at 04:43 PM ----------

Blizzard hope it will be Titan. But at a more deeper level, there may never be another 'big thing' game. I think WoW landed at just the right time. The internet was booming, more people than ever were using it for long periods of time and it was the place to be. Sadly the internet is shrinking now. Not as many people use it as much as they used to. Sure, they use it. But for very specific things they want, like facebook and email. I don't think WoW would be as successful if it were released today. The internet has peaked imho.. and so have online games.
    Internet is shrinking? Are you serious? Sure it may not have as rapid growth as before but it is NOT shrinking.

What's next, TV subscription models are growing?

Oh dear /palm
    Last edited by Mister K; 2012-05-02 at 03:46 PM.
    -K

What? That is completely untrue. More and more people are using the internet every year. Last I checked there was something like an 8% annual growth of internet users every year and what is even more wrong about this is that there will never be negative internet growth, it has become so ingrained into all aspects of life that it is completely irreplaceable and people won't just stop using it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly the internet is shrinking now. Not as many people use it as much as they used to. Sure, they use it. But for very specific things they want, like facebook and email. I don't think WoW would be as successful if it were released today. The internet has peaked imho.. and so have online games.
    I don't think that's true. If anything, the internet is bigger than ever, and growing at a scary pace actually. Right now everything is about the online experience, the connection. If you're not online, then you're out.

And this goes as far as ppl I never tought would be interested in things like online games, starting to ask about them and show interest. (Hell, even my chief of staff at the hospital where I work wants me to teach him how to play wow lol)

Guild Wa... oh eh, TItan yeah, perhaps something els thats Sci-Fi related as we havent had a really succesfull one yet, perhaps Planet Side 2 ?

I don't think there's gonna be a that "big thing" like WoW was for quite some time anymore. It's like rock stars or hollywood actors: the ones everybody used to know are getting old and retiring and there's nobody there to step in their shoes.The age of legends like Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Michael Jackson, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sean Connery are over. Times have changed. Superstars are a thing of the past, the markets are oversaturated and entertainment and people of today are too fast moving.

I think WoW was such a massive success because it was a phenomenon of it's time. It was the first game to bring the MMORPG genre to the absolute mainstream. It opened doors to a whole new industry branch and has heavily influenced the face of modern computer entertainment. It was a completely new, unfamiliar and fascinating thing for most people.

Today, almost a decade later, people are familiar with the whole thing. They're not surprised and totally absorbed by it any more. A new piece of gear, a new content patch, a new expansion - it's business as usual by now. And more and more companies are trying to have a slice of the pie, with increasing success. I think the target audience for MMOs won't be dramatically growing any more, but there will be more games to choose from and the player base will probably spread across different games a bit more. I think overall it's gonna be a little bit less complete dominance from just one game. I do however think that this Titan thing might be THE major player in all of this.

Of course what also could happen is that Blizzard proves me wrong and manages to completely revolutionize the whole thing again. Or perhaps even someone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Of course what also could happen is that Blizzard proves me wrong and manages to completely revolutionize the whole thing again. Or perhaps even someone else.
    I'm gonna hope for that one! But thanks for your response, quite eloquent. I do think you're right... There will not be complete dominance as it was for WoW for so many years, but I guess all I wanted was to have an answer so it would be easier for me to choose where to put my hopes,money and time.

I like the way Tera looks, that combat system is amazing! And Guild Wars seems to be nice. But for the time being I'll keep playing wow, at least until Titan comes out..

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Titan? blind faith in a company?

Kind of like Apple fans scooping up anything they put out.

Deleted
    Titan

Even though we know absolutely nothing about this game I believe only Blizzard could pull it off , 7 years (and more to come..) and 10 million subscribers is crazy when you think about it, the hype and expectation of a new Blizzard MMO will probably be the biggest game launch in history, certainly for PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Titan? blind faith in a company?

Kind of like Apple fans scooping up anything they put out.
    If by blind faith you mean consistently exceeding expectations to produce nothing but quality games, then yes. It's not blind faith if every time they put out a game its that good.

Seriously? Have you seen what Blizzard has done to WoW? Titan went from probably being awesome to now catering to slack jawed mouth breathers. I'm sure they've already baked in their patented global wide LFG, along with the laughing stock that is LFR, a cuddly chipmunk race of some sort that was part of lore over 40 years ago, Mafia Wars and God only knows what else. After their MoP presentation at Blizzcon, I pretty much wrote Titan off.

If by blind faith you mean consistently exceeding expectations to produce nothing but quality games, then yes. It's not blind faith if every time they put out a game its that good.
    Purely subjective. They put out decent games I agree. Not my personal favorites but anyway.

What? Seriously? One shitty expansion after another for years, overhyped diablo 3 that looks like a dated crap and plays like 2005's titan quest and fucktons of the ways to drain money from ppl while giving them less and worse products, that's what I see from blizzard lately. You ppl just haven't waken up yet. I don't know how much you need to wake the fuck up, but I suppose alot. Pity blizzard, a mediocre but exceptionally greedy company is getting rich on it every day. D3 requiring online connection all the time was a last drop for me, that's when I decided blizz's gonna have to really impress me with quality next time before I'll buy something of theirs. Just pretty cg's won't cut it. They wanna drag me into that new titan of theirs? It better use top pc available by 100% and look near photorealistic.
    Last edited by VincentWolf; 2012-05-02 at 06:01 PM.