Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    well maybe once crop production plummets and the sea level rises our descendants will take comfort in the fact that we got to have good paying jobs.
    I used to be unhappy about the time in history I was born in. We're still in the childhood of the electronic age, and most of the incredible advances we will be able to make are in the next couple of centuries.

But now with growing populations and the deterioration of the environment and national economies all around, I realize that I may actually be living in one of the last few good generations. I eat a nice steak every Sunday, realizing how lucky I am because a few decades from now something like a steak will be an incredible luxury reserved only for people like the descendants of Mitt Romney.

Since ~2007 the Australian government has been attempting to put in place some economic measure to reduce a perceived contribution to global warming. Subsequently, global warming science has been under great scrutiny within the country over the years. Circa-2007 the majority of the population believed the science, now a significant proportion have been persuaded against it - myself included, and it was preached to me all throughout school. I realise consensus in science means nothing (see: the debate of whether things revolve around the earth or the sun) - I include this to point out persuasion. [It'd be incorrect to reference the majority of the population being against the government's measures as this is confounded by economic implications, not just persuasion against the science.]

Often, as you probably know, scepticism of the science is championed by conservatives and their on-side commentators however it is also put forward by non-partisans. Unfortunately, throughout the scrutiny due to their scientific opposition, these individuals and their arguments have been associated without actuality to some partisan, hated fad or their characters have been attacked and their arguments avoided completely. Having said this, most conservatives actually put forward empirically supported points but they to are often fuzzed-out by the aforementioned. Without going into this Pandora's Box the science is too politicised and has been corrupted, both domestically and internationally (it's also somewhat of a religion now).

For those wondering, I am a university educated layman to climate science. As such I will be leaving the burden of proof in links and upon contemporary scrutiny - particularly Australian scrutiny. The purpose of my post was to indicate significant persuasion and bring to your attention contemporary scrutiny of the science. This scrutiny includes but is not limited to:

youtube-dot-com/user/evansdmw/videos
    wattsupwiththat-dot-com/
    joannenova-dot-com-dot-au/

blogs.news-dot-com-dot-au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/C883/P0/
    blogs.news-dot-com-dot-au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/C933
    blogs.news-dot-com-dot-au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/C955

Book: The Delinquent Teenager Who Was Mistaken for the World's Top Climate Expert
    catallaxyfiles-dot-com/ [This link's focus is quite broad. I include it due to some posts on the politics-climate change relationship. Fiscal conservatives would like this.]
    Last edited by Chair; 2012-05-03 at 07:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joodoc View Post
    by saying 90% you are trolling.

they take measurements in february one year, then in may the next year, and say because the ice caps are further it is global warming.
    Who?

I have a problem with taking people seriously, who refer to someone simply as "they". Too many people who does this are referring to conspiracy theories about aliens and shadow governments.

Who exactly are you talking about? Who took measurements in february one year and compared it to may the next year?
    No one? That's what I thought.

In case you didn't know, before global warming the big scare was taht we were going into the next ice age.
    That was a media scare. Basically, the media took a small part of a report out of context and ran with it.
    That was not science. That was not scientists.

Most of the scientific community believes that it is just the planet fluctuating naturally as it has always done.
    Wrong.
    See above.

Also: The data clearly states that this is not a natural change.
    There is no natural reason for the change, the way there was for the historical fluctuations, and the way it is changing differs from what the records show about the historical changes.

According to statistics, our complete green house gas emissions account for 2% of the total ones, we are less destructive than cow farts.
    Exactly which statistics are you referring to?
    Source, please.

Not to mention there are studies found that trees and plants produce much more of a specific gas(I can't recall which atm) than we do, and the planet has had far more trees than we currently do for a much longer time in the past, and it dind't cause global warming
    And the situation was otherwise exactly the same then and now?
    No? Oops. Then your point is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    well maybe once crop production plummets and the sea level rises our descendants will take comfort in the fact that we got to have good paying jobs.
    This is an example of the alarmist nature of global warming proponents. "Get on board with us because the planet will fall apart if you don't!"

methane (cow farts) is the 2nd biggest contributor of greenhouse gases (besides CO2).. take a guess as to why theres a huge cow population.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    No, same shit has happened the entire time the earth has lived, it goes up and down, up and down, all the freaking time.
    And EVERYTIME it did that, the CO2 increase lagged behind the temperature increase by 800 years!
    Why isn't that happening this time? - Because this time CO2 is CAUSING the change.

History is NOT repeating itself in this case. This is something new.
    We KNOW why the historic changes occurred, and those reasons do not exist for this change. It isn't time for a natural change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Does that only work for people talking about fox?
    Of course not. However, it's the only one people talk about it. Like these fools:

Quote Originally Posted by Gulvar View Post
    I didn't have a show on Fox News though so I didn't really feel the need to yell la la la I can't hear you to the science.
    Quote Originally Posted by xsublymonalx View Post
    Also; I like how all Fox news watchers can do is argue with: "YOUR NEWS IS BIASED TOO."
    "So, that still means Fox is biased."
    "NA UH, FOX IS TRUTH."
    Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    Depends. Have you been mostly watching Fox News lately? Then chances are you've missed most of what is actually going on in the world, in favor of what the 1% and some religious fanatics wants you to believe.
    Shut the fuck up about Fox and talk about Global Warming.
    Last edited by Nadev; 2012-05-03 at 07:50 PM.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    Every time i watch tv everyone seems to have this acceptance attitude that there is global warming. It seems to be everywhere, even in advertisement. Instead of it's coming everyone is like it's here. Yet i don't recall anything official announced?

I believe the Sun has a far greater influence on your climate than anything we do so I won't believe man made global warming until it's official.

So have i missed anything or is it just companies trying to cash in on going green?
    those going green 1.) acknowledge the existence and 2.) want the tax reductions in complying to the demands of going green. But its us... its all human doing. CO2 naturally hovers in the atmosphere but it has always been at lower levels, in the past century we have packed that atmosphere stock full of CO2 and to give you an example.... naturally occurring CO2 levels are like driving a car with no A/C with the windows down in 120 degree heat. As the levels increase the windows start to go up, and we all know what happens once they're rolled up.

but, then again. The earth has naturally shifted its temp throughout its history from extremely warm to extremely cold. The last time it got real cold was when the north american glaciers melted and flooded the atlantic ocean causing a shift in the gulf stream and jet stream... which in turn caused Europe to freeze. Greenland is currently melting and has been since the 1970s. That is not to say that it is our salvation for cooling down, but if temp change isnt enough that will cause a global change in our oceans... again.

But my biggest concern isnt global warming because thats going to be my descendent's problem, to which they will curse me and my generation for, but my concern is with the magnetic pole shifts and what that is going to turn into. 100yrs ago the north magnetic pole used to be in northern canada right about the artic island areas, but now it is half way to Russian. To top it off it is thinning out or weakening some how. I wonder how that will effect us because scientist theorize that the earth could tilt, spin in a different direction, or lose its shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    This is an example of the alarmist nature of global warming proponents. "Get on board with us because the planet will fall apart if you don't!"
    er thats the whole reason people are worried about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 521Rob View Post
    Police in the UK have begun an investigation into the theft and publication on Russian internet servers of private emails, which are thought to prove that global warming theory was fabricated. Alex Jones, the renowned filmmaker and radio host, dubs this scandal as one of the biggest hoaxes and financial frauds in the history of mankind. He says that it appears to be a global 'Ponzi scheme' which allowed bankers to profit from bogus carbon taxes for years.
    I predict that exactly NOTHING will come of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Why? Both those are very real results of global climate change, the crop issue in particular is of great concern.

Quote Originally Posted by 521Rob View Post
    Police in the UK have begun an investigation into the theft and publication on Russian internet servers of private emails, which are thought to prove that global warming theory was fabricated. Alex Jones, the renowned filmmaker and radio host, dubs this scandal as one of the biggest hoaxes and financial frauds in the history of mankind. He says that it appears to be a global 'Ponzi scheme' which allowed bankers to profit from bogus carbon taxes for years.
    Renowned...

Yes... quite...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    my concern is with the magnetic pole shifts and what that is going to turn into. 100yrs ago the north magnetic pole used to be in northern canada right about the artic island areas, but now it is half way to Russian. To top it off it is thinning out or weakening some how.
    Correct.

I wonder how that will effect us because scientist theorize that the earth could tilt, spin in a different direction
    Wrong. No scientist has had such thoughts.

or lose its shields.
    Well, yeah. The magnetic field of the earth will weaken, maybe even to a point of non-existence for a period of up to a thousand years.
    As it has before.
    Magnetic pole reversals happen regularly throughout the history of the earth. There is nothing new about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Why? Both those are very real results of global climate change, the crop issue in particular is of great concern.
    And yet, no one wants to do anything about it because they're terrified of losing re-election bids.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Its getting warmer, but its part of Earth's natural cycle. The percentage of increase due to human activity exists, but is very small.

"Now"

Yes, if you mean now as in the last 20+ years

CO2 rising is period of the earth. Whenever its high, Ice Age occurred. Global warming is BS. Ice Age is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    Yeah, 90% of the scientific community is clearly just trolling.
    What?

Most scientist believe that global warming is nothing more than a scam for carbon taxes...Al gore says save the earth and yet he owns about 7 AC

Regardless, James lovelock himself said global warming is fake and this man used to always talk about global warming and said it was real.

now... http://www.inquisitr.com/224934/glob...g-an-alarmist/

and btw ice from the north is melting but ice from the south is forming...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqur View Post

CO2 rising is period of the earth. Whenever its high, Ice Age occurred. Global warming is BS. Ice Age is coming.
    Yes - that graph sure looks completely normal

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    There are real concerns, plausible consequences, I'll cede. But nothing like the alarmist propaganda that usually drowns those concerns out.