Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Music] Suggest me some rap!

Before we start: anyone suggesting Li'l Wayne, 50cent or what not will be dragged outside into a dark alley and - wait it's MMO-C... scratch that. They'll be dragged into the My Little Pony thread.

So, what am I looking for? People that can actually surprise me with the quality of their lyrics and flow. I'm looking for stuff in the vein of Cannibal Ox, Aesop Rock, CunninLynguists, Vast Aire.

What am I not looking for? Bling, canines of the female persuasion, hoes, cars, gangstahs and all that crap.

For those not familiar with the above, have some Youtube:

Last edited by Duilliath; 2012-05-03 at 03:12 PM.

depending on what you think of uk hip hop, i'm quite picky with my hiphop i can't stand much mainstream. ill just link my playlist on youtube, its not my favorite genre hence the small list. some of it is blehh, but most of it is probably quite unknown to most.

enjoy

jehst, skinnyman, klashnekoff, braintax

lewis parker, lowkey .. some names.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2012-05-03 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typos

10+ Year Old Account

This guy, a lyrical mastermind with a sick flow and awesome tracks.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Freddie Gibbs, pretty recent reppin' the midwest
    -K

Deleted
    Death Grips. I like him because he yells a lot.

Oh god, here I go.

Sage Francis
    Eyedea & Abilities
    ANYTHING FROM THE DOOMTREE COLLECTIVE
    Grayskul

A lot escapes me right now. I will post more as I think of them

Deleted
    Like Heathy i'm very picky on my uk hiphop too, so heres a few more (Heathy covered jehst quite nicely )

Cant post links yet it seems so i'll just name a few (all can be found on the tube)

Terawritz - Own Worst Enemy
    Split Prophets - Aint Amused
    Dr Syntax - On the rise
    The Four Owls - Original
    Q - UNIQUE - Psychological Warfare
    Jam Baxter - Banana Shaped Armour Plates

edit:forgot about Jam Baxter
    Last edited by mmoc3c25d04843; 2012-05-03 at 06:15 PM.

i just remembered a few others aswell, i like what Smooshed has said, some of those i wasn't aware of.

but

watch?v=r2u7rRdrh7o
    and
    watch?v=I_4ZGk7m3TQ

2 tracks from the smokers die younger album.

shameless!

i've never uploaded tracks on youtube before but i have bless the mixtape so im going to upload 2 of the tracks off it that i really like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzvNZcyIPY this is one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjGqSKPS1Q0 this is the other both on bless - the mixtape

also LdotMan has some good even great tracks i just can't think of many. (watch?v=q-7BEh0i95M > live freestyle | watch?v=MwKEFDf8Ejk > children in need)
    and roots manuva also a legend in the underground scene. (watch?v=c_B7CCPbxpU dreamy days)
    Last edited by Heathy; 2012-05-03 at 09:09 PM. Reason: additions

MGK, maybe he's not as "real" or as "Underground" as you might be looking for, but I think he's fucking great

Deleted
    Tupac - Keep ya head up (must listen this gr8 lyrics :P )
    Tupac - Smile (very good lyrics)
    Tupac - runnin from tha police
    Dr dre - nuthin but a g thang (smooth beat )
    Dr dre - let me ride
    Shyheim shaolin style
    snoop dogg ft nate dogg aint no fun
    Warren g Regulate
    Dr dre dre day
    Big l Put it on
    Tupac cant c me
    Tupac i aint hard to find
    Tupac tradin war stories
    Tupac Life goes on ( very good aswell)

U may not like everythin' but some songs are worth listenin :P
    Last edited by mmoc71ec3e6573; 2012-05-03 at 07:27 PM.

check out some Jurassic 5

Blackalicious

Start with the Blazing Arrow album followed by Nia.

Also, Digable Planets' album Blowout Comb is a must listen.
    Last edited by Flood; 2012-05-03 at 07:28 PM. Reason: adding another
    Now offering free Mammoth rides in the Dalaran sewer. Please do not be an engineer, priest, mage, paladin or druid. Thank you.

Childish Gambino - Freaks & Geeks

Also known as an actor/writer/comedian, Donald Glover is one of the few true "Rennaisance Men" left today. He does it all and manages to have swag to spare. He does throw out some "bitches and hoes" lyrics every now and then, but then he'll follow it up with references to batman or something else that defies genre stereotypes. He's so amazing that I have trouble expressing to people just how good he is.

George Watsky - Duke Westlake Cypher

Also known as "that guy from the 'pale kid raps fast' viral video". I picked this video to post because it shows off his lyrical style pretty well. It's not very indicative of the type of tracks he's been making lately, though. He's currently working on (or may be done with, not sure) a folk/hip-hop album. The songs he's released youtube vids for so far are all awesome. His spoken word is also pretty great, but that's another thread. lol

Since you like Aesop Rock I'm going to go ahead and assume you know about everybody on Rhymesayers and Strange Famous Records....They're all dope. Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Brother Ali, Murs, Blueprint, P.O.S. - They're all brilliant.

My last suggestion is gonna be more mainstream, but still above the caliber of Lil Wayne and the likes...He was actually on Lil Wayne's last album, and his one verse killed anything Wayne did on the entire album....

Tech N9ne - Sickology 101

Tech N9ne...The NUMBER ONE independent rapper in the world (sales wise, of course). This dude's been ripping the mic for decades, but hasn't lost a beat. He varies from club-bangers, to deep emotional tracks, to just straight up silly stuff, but I've never heard a track of his and not loved it.

Tech N9ne is bar far one of the best rappers ever IMO, and damn the guy must love the road cause every year he does a bunch of shows all over. He is doing something like 97 shows in 106 days on his tour right now.

Deleted
    Gonna say Atmosphere aswell, When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold (2008) one of my favorite albums.

Just noticed Youvegotfail mentioned Atmosphere.

Try Hieroglyphics aswell

Also Hilltophoods, Bliss n Eso, Drapht, all good Aussie hiphop.
    Last edited by mmoc3c25d04843; 2012-05-03 at 08:59 PM.

Deleted
    Eminem, nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by samhazza View Post
    Eminem (everything before Encore excluding the radio singles)
    Fixed it for ya!

lol, for real though, Em really did used to be a great lyricist...don't know what happened to him after The Eminem Show LP (oh yeah, too many drugs :P)