You can't stop the hype, Duravian. Just let it ride its course. All you can do is control your own hype and expectations.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    You can't stop the hype, Duravian. Just let it ride its course. All you can do is control your own hype and expectations.
    This. Telling other people not to get their hopes up is a waste of energy. I learned myself long ago that hyping a game is pointless because it never lives up to the expectation
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I just want to help.... The past 4 MMO's have been overhyped and I wish people would just get a clue. Then we wouldn't have "failed" mmos.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Few MMOs actually "fail".

Failure is typically public perception, which is valid as subjective feeling, but in objective thought is lulz-a-plenty. As MMOs can run for years & years at a profitable margin sans 9.6 million players.

The "failed MMO" is as much much as forum myth as the supposed "WOW killer" attached to every game in the genre of MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Few MMOs actually "fail".

Failure is typically public perception, which is valid as subjective feeling, but in objective thought is lulz-a-plenty. As MMOs can run for years & years at a profitable margin sans 9.6 million players.

The "failed MMO" is as much much as forum myth as the supposed "WOW killer" attached to every game in the genre of MMOs.
    My point is mostly for peace of mind. I hate reading these forums and seeing people kick games to the curb. If anybody here has any Blizzard game liked on FB, you'll see how much shit they get for simply being Blizz. All these imbeciles saying WoW's gonna die with the next new game or whatever. I know no game really dies... I'm just sick of seeing all that.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Deleted
    Nothing but Blizzard will be able to kill WoW. No game will be able to kill WoW, because most players dont play WoW because it is the best game, most players play WoW for two reasons. First that most of their friends play it, second is that they invested so much time in it.
    Think that Blizzard really need to mess up big time in order to people will stop play, or they release a new game (Titan?).

I dont think that tESO will make a dent in the WoW subscription base, but I hope it will be a great game anyway!

There is a difference between hype and excitement. And i think this is where most ppl get confused. When something is hyped from an outsiders prospective it is an unknown where ppl causing the hype tell you this is the next big thing, and you can either believe the hype while never seeing this next big thing in action or you can not believe the hype and do as you said and wait till the next big thing comes and judge for yourself. Now ppl getting excited about the next big thing is different. This is the group of people who read up and research the next big thing and decide that it is worth getting excited about. Now here is where the confusion comes in. A outside person can read or hear someones excitement and interpret it as hype. When really hype is directed toward you to convince you of something. Where excitement is just a positive vibe that you can see other ppl exhibiting but its not trying to convince you to be excited.

So Rift putting in commercials your not in azeroth anymore is hype. The commercial is trying to hype you up to get you interested in this new world that isnt Azeroth.

Players on a forums discussing the possiblities of the game neg or pos like they have in this thread is not hype. Its just activity.

Quote Originally Posted by JackHeart View Post
    Nothing but Blizzard will be able to kill WoW. No game will be able to kill WoW, because most players dont play WoW because it is the best game, most players play WoW for two reasons. First that most of their friends play it, second is that they invested so much time in it.
    Think that Blizzard really need to mess up big time in order to people will stop play, or they release a new game (Titan?).

I dont think that tESO will make a dent in the WoW subscription base, but I hope it will be a great game anyway!
    People use the phrase "Kill" to much. Do you guys even know what killing is? There is no return from death. So its more accurate to "Wound" or "Hurt" or "Injure" WoW than it is to "Kill" it. Killing implies a complete shutdown of servers forever. So new games have Hurt WoW to variying degrees. TESO will do the same because the players have to come from somewhere. The new games are also hurt by other newer games so GW2, Swtor and Rift are gonna be "Hurt" by new releases like Wildstar and TESO.

At the end of the day in order for the majority of the NA/EU playerbase to leave Blizzard would either have to stop patching the game (because they want to work on New IP's), A shift towards a F2P model (which doesn't even mean they would lose players but sub numbers would definately drop as those players would opt to do the F2P version), or some other company uses great marketing and good word of mouth and convinces the communities in the WoW playerbase to play their game instead of blizzards while offering better play.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2013-02-15 at 08:36 PM.

Deleted
    I'm waiting for Elder Scrolls online. Just because i think it will be the next HUGE mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I'm glad you realized that hk51 was on your side.
    My sarcasm radar is off today... also doesn't help that I don't usually look who's posting what.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Self-criticism with a dash of sarcasm? You're so cute.
    Ah, I see you're new around here. Thank you for your useful contribution to the thread. Remember kids, if you don't have a good response to a point, insult the poster! Winning arguments on teh internetz 101
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-02-15 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    This. Telling other people not to get their hopes up is a waste of energy. I learned myself long ago that hyping a game is pointless because it never lives up to the expectation
    Not true.

I've been hyped with many games and they turned out even better than what I expected (original WoW vanilla, Warcraft 3 RoC and TFT, Diablo 2, Starcraft 2, God of War Series, Resident Evil 2 and 3, Metal Gear), and these are just off the top of my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think it is possible for this game to kill wow

how many computers can even handle an elder scrolls game as is? only really good ones can do a good job at it. now lets add servers, and other people!

must get $5000+ computer!

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Not true.

I've been hyped with many games and they turned out even better than what I expected (original WoW vanilla, Warcraft 3 RoC and TFT, Diablo 2, Starcraft 2, God of War Series, Resident Evil 2 and 3, Metal Gear), and these are just off the top of my head.

Hyping a game works for some people but for others (people through-the-roof excited for Guild Wars 2/Star Wars: Old Republic), it can be a major letdown so they let themselves feel dead inside I let myself get hyped and if the game fails for me I'm not crushed and move on, but for some it can be devastating. I'm in hype nerd town over Elder Scrolls Online atm

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

how many computers can even handle an elder scrolls game as is? only really good ones can do a good job at it. now lets add servers, and other people!

Elder Scrolls Online isn't on the same engine as Skyrim, and it isn't possible for MMOs to be anyway (Skyrim itself can only handle a handful of enemies on-screen at once). TESO is on a custom-made engine and is reported to be able to run on 5-year old computers due to lots of tweaking room in the settings.

You should take a look at the Development FAQ at Tamriel Foundry to get some game info.
    Last edited by Woakerio; 2013-02-15 at 09:33 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know much about the game so far except the bits and pieces that have been released. However, I like what I know so far, and I also like TES games (by that I mean Morrowind and Skyrim, didn't like Oblivion for some reason).
    The alliances cinematic looks awesome, only ones close to that are the SWTOR cinematics, and they are cool because Blur made all of them.Actually, all of Blur Studio's cinematics are awesome . I know a cinematic does not reflect actual gameplay, just saying it's a plus from me.

Now, on the dark side of things, bugs in TES games are quite numerous, some game breaking. If they fix them in a timely fashion, that's another plus from me. Another point I'd like to make, I hope to god they have a good game engine that's optimized cause SWTORs was a disaster for me. Started with an i5 750 460 GTX when SWTOR came out, upgraded to an i52500k + ATI 6970, and these days I upgraded to an i7 3770k + 670 gtx, and SWTOR performance is still abysmal, 20-40 FPS -.-.

Judging from a heavy armor concept image released recently, I like what I see. They say that they designed the game with large pvp battles in mind, we'll see how well they can pull it off (age of conan if i'm not mistaken boasted the same thing at some point, also Warhammer Online). The quest design in TES is in my opinion very good; they say they are aiming for a "Distractionary Gameplay”. This is their term for an environment which is filled with content which will stray you off your main quest objective". Combat system sounds nice, huge battles, siege engines... if it is indeed as they say, it will be a solid game, maybe great .

TLDR:if they keep their pants on and do not rush release I think it will be a solid game.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Thank you for your useful contribution to the thread. Remember kids, if you don't have a good response to a point, insult the poster! Winning arguments on teh internetz 101
    You mean exactly what you're doing?

Quit taking jabs at each other and get back on topic.

10+ Year Old Account

Not to mention, a huge portion of WoWs playerbase aren't even gamers. They just play WoW, not waiting for the next big MMO. Just think how many people don't even know this game exists or will flinch for an instant when it launches? I remember when GW2 came out. Some dude made a comment about his guild playing it. Most of trade chat was like "The fuck is GW2? Didn't guildwars come out like 8 years ago?" Etc.

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 07:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Joltzie View Post
    I'm waiting for Elder Scrolls online. Just because i think it will be the next HUGE mmo.
    Curious on your definition of "huge." Which game would you use as an example of huge?

(Purely curiosity, completely civil)
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Curious on your definition of "huge." Which game would you use as an example of huge?

Personally, anything over 500k is huge.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post

9 inches, at least.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Personally I don't expect it to be anywhere as popular as WoW. I'm just looking forward to playing something different after 6 years of WoW. Need a breath of fresh air, etc.

I don't know about ESO.

But Skyrim can be ran at high-ultra settings WITH ENB (massive graphical enhancement) on a $500-600 machine easy. And that's not even building a computer yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15