10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackyfrost View Post
    so tanks at front, heals at back, pvp just died

why would you want this lol? i want a competitive atmosphere, leave the gimmicky shit to a game like wildstar or tera
    I take it you never played Warhammer then?

Truly competitive pvp requires mass coordination of troop movements and use of terrain. Not just "our gear and rotation are better than yours"

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/ask-...thing-eso-pax/

good read, Q&A with a few guys who played it at PAX for 2 hours each

TESO seems to NOT have the problem wow does with blink/charge/vanish and applies those types of movements/effects like you expect them too
    mentions how he jumped off a roof then blinked to another roof

i'm loving the mix between "new mechanic" and "old tried and true mechanic".
    everything we're getting reminds me of how blizz took their EQ experience and built on that to make a great game. haven't been this excited for a game since 2003

---------- Post added 2013-03-25 at 02:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I take it you never played Warhammer then?

Truly competitive pvp requires mass coordination of troop movements and use of terrain. Not just "our gear and rotation are better than yours"
    you said you wanted a tank with collision to block a path. that's just cheesy gameplay. warhammer died for a reason
    just can't see how there is skill involved in cockblocking a choke point. that would become the only way to win

there is a reason horde win every BG over 50% of the time EXCEPT AV

so tanks at front, heals at back, pvp just died

why would you want this lol? i want a competitive atmosphere, leave the gimmicky shit to a game like wildstar or tera
    Did that make sense when you were typing it? It is not making sense to me as I am reading it.

Tanks in the front, healers in the back sounds like a war formation to me. For large scale pvp and all that.

and it led to situations where there wasn't a PVP solution to a problem
    it's no different than someone standing in an inaccessible place, killing you while you can do nothing but run away
    You lost me again. If friendlies can't body block you, then the only place you will run into these problems are those where the person body blocking you is killable.

What is the issue then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Did that make sense when you were typing it? It is not making sense to me as I am reading it.

Tanks in the front, healers in the back sounds like a war formation to me. For large scale pvp and all that.

You lost me again. If friendlies can't body block you, then the only place you will run into these problems are those where the person body blocking you is killable.

What is the issue then?
    yeah, let's apply actual tactics of combat to a game where getting shot once in the head doesn't kill you. you can't do that. does that make sense to you?

might as well be an invisible wall there because you aren't getting through. at least with the bridge in AV you have a small chance but even then it's poor game design. if that's a viable tactic it becomes the only tactic. the bg is reduced to a race to execute that tactic. there is no counter in an MMO for that. healers are safe, tanks aren't dying because the healers are keeping them up and you have no chance

war isn't about an equal competition but pvp in a game HAS to be

glad as fuck you guys aren't making a game

blizz has been asked why don't they have it MANY times and they always say due to a competitive imbalance, griefing and how pvp becomes about how many you have and nothing else
    Last edited by blackyfrost; 2013-03-25 at 07:53 PM.

Please keep things civil, let's not get heated and start insulting people.

10+ Year Old Account
    you said you wanted a tank with collision to block a path. that's just cheesy gameplay. warhammer died for a reason
    just can't see how there is skill involved in cockblocking a choke point. that would become the only way to win

there is a reason horde win every BG over 50% of the time EXCEPT AV
    Yes, I'm sure unit collision was the reason warhammer failed. It had nothing to do with EA pulling their budget out from under them...

/so much sarcasm, there is literally no sarcasm left on this planet

yeah, let's apply actual tactics of combat to a game where getting shot once in the head doesn't kill you. you can't do that. does that make sense to you?

might as well be an invisible wall there because you aren't getting through. at least with the bridge in AV you have a small chance but even then it's poor game design. if that's a viable tactic it becomes the only tactic. the bg is reduced to a race to execute that tactic. there is no counter in an MMO for that. healers are safe, tanks aren't dying because the healers are keeping them up and you have no chance

war isn't about an equal competition but pvp in a game HAS to be
    Collision detection has nothing to do with encouraging or discouraging competition. It makes little sense that it would - it is equally available to either side.

What collision detection encourages is finding ways to kill your enemies without resorting to the old herp derp "lets run through the tanks and kill the casters in the back". In your example, all that needs to happen is for someone to flank the tank/healer blob, and hit it in the back. Simple.

If the map doesn't allow for that, its the map failure, not the game design failure.

Deleted
    Can't wait to see this game online !!!
    Im gona play it 100% !

10+ Year Old Account
    so it doesn't actually have body blocking lol, that's my point. if you can dodge through someone, then what's the point? what does it add to a game? TERA has reworked so many of their systems due to failure in the west that it's never going to catch on more than it already has.

true collision leads to griefing and ways to bypass it make it something other than true collision.
    Umm... it's only the dodge mechanic that allows that cause... you know, you need to dodge and they're all on cooldown, and if I remember correctly, only berserkers can't as they have a block. I have yet to see anything that can lead to griefing.
    Everything is designed in a fashion that this can't happen anyways.
    Tera didn't rework any of the system in terms of collision and combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Collision detection has nothing to do with encouraging or discouraging competition. It makes little sense that it would - it is equally available to either side.

What collision detection encourages is finding ways to kill your enemies without resorting to the old herp derp "lets run through the tanks and kill the casters in the back". In your example, all that needs to happen is for someone to flank the tank/healer blob, and hit it in the back. Simple.

If the map doesn't allow for that, its the map failure, not the game design failure.
    i like peeling for a healer with a stun or snare

i don't see how a healer using a tank to pillar hump adds anything to the game

either way, the details coming from pax are pretty awesome and worth spending an hour to get up to date on
    LOTS of things that have been complained about in wow that they've found ways to fix or incorporate and a lot of familiarity for TES gamers

10+ Year Old Account
    So answer me this: If there is no unit collision, how are you supposed to protect your archers?

And let's be honest here: WoW pvp is not something that anyone should be trying to emulate. If anything, it is something you should be trying to build the opposite of...

Deleted
    Has this already been posted?

As us anything about combat 2: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en...thing-combat-2

- no ammor for bows
    - different weapons have different ranges (even melee)
    - stealth works similar to skyrim ... crosshair changes... guess thats in pve, also there will be disguises
    - healers get pvp points and can get emperor (mvp)
    - "The vast majority of abilities are focused on utility rather than damage, and the weapon light and heavy attacks “just do damage” when that’s what you need."
    - "You will be able to block with all weapons, though a shield is the most effective."
    - "Yes, we will have crowd control: stuns, roots, snares, etc. However, we know it isn’t fun to be on the receiving end of these. Provided you have enough Stamina, you can usually get out of a CC situation and have temporary immunity after. "
    -
    Last edited by mmoc6023babb1d; 2013-03-25 at 08:49 PM.

Is an arrow to the knee a killing blow? – By Smittyj Ryan Smith

Only in Star Trek VI.
    Best answer ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    So answer me this: If there is no unit collision, how are you supposed to protect your archers?

And let's be honest here: WoW pvp is not something that anyone should be trying to emulate. If anything, it is something you should be trying to build the opposite of...
    this argument is beyond stupid and pointless, teso has no unit collision and will never have unit collision. you like it, i think it's a waste. let's just leave it at that

I'm predicting TESO will be released around August or September. So Q3. It sounds like a solid prediction to me unless something really horrible happens during development.

I think any date that's not in 2013 won't happen. At the latest, It could be a Christmas release.

Im guessing a christmas release. It seems to me bethesda is taking this game too seriously to release it unfinished like some other big IP AAA MMO that was released about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    I'm predicting TESO will be released around August or September. So Q3. It sounds like a solid prediction to me unless something really horrible happens during development.

I think any date that's not in 2013 won't happen. At the latest, It could be a Christmas release.
    The current theory is an 11/12/13 (MM/DD/YY) release date. Just cause that would be epic and follow the 11/11/11 date with Skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post

Not Fall. Winter 2013.

Winter is coming
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-03-26 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Not Fall. Winter 2013.

Winter is coming
    After getting 13" of snow dumped on my house yesterday, I'd say winter hasn't left yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    After getting 13" of snow dumped on my house yesterday, I'd say winter hasn't left yet.
    You have no idea how much I want 13" of snow where I live. I hate living in Austin, Texas.
    I'm moving straight to Switzerland when I can!