10+ Year Old Account
    Lol @ the cameraman in the vid. "Fucking shut up. I wanna watch this guy play! Nobody cares about what you have to say. THE VIEWERS WANT GAMEPLAY!"

I think a sub might be a hard sell for the customers. Also, every sub based mmo to come out lately goes F2P at some point it seems.

B2P tho, I wonder how much can really be earned in the long term from it. I read how gw2 was struggling at times because the only source of revenue outside the game box is the gem shop. I think the game might have an optional sub for this and that.
    Tho then again, it is Elder Scrolls, and they might be able to sell tons with just a box fee. Things is, before the game was kind of kept alive with mods and such by fans which won't be possible here.

Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
    I read how gw2 was struggling at times because the only source of revenue outside the game box is the gem shop.
    Curious, but where did you read that? NCsofts quarterly earnings have thus far been strong for the game since launch, so I'm not sure what that claim is based off of.

However, I agree and think that a model like TSW has (B2P with a cash shop and an optional subscription) is probably going to be the most sound all around model if they're looking for high revenue numbers. The subscription for people who don't want to dick around with the cash shop and get everything included with their subscription cost, and the cash shop for those that want to spend more, or want to pick their content a la carte.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    It is going to be a B2P model. How can it be anything else? A subscription based MMO on next gen consoles? Unheard of.
    Not common, but hardly unheard of.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess one of the benefits of ESO being pushed back to 2014 is that adventure zones will likely be implemented at launch. They were saying before that adventure zones probably wouldn't make it at launch, but now they have another 8-ish months to make sure they get it in.

And perhaps the Thieves Guild will make it in as well.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-06-17 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Curious, but where did you read that? NCsofts quarterly earnings have thus far been strong for the game since launch, so I'm not sure what that claim is based off of.

However, I agree and think that a model like TSW has (B2P with a cash shop and an optional subscription) is probably going to be the most sound all around model if they're looking for high revenue numbers. The subscription for people who don't want to dick around with the cash shop and get everything included with their subscription cost, and the cash shop for those that want to spend more, or want to pick their content a la carte.
    In those cases, what do you get from optional sub?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Not sure what TSW gives but Planetside's optional sub gives the following;

25-50% increased resource gain
    25-50% increased XP gain
    Increased passive cert point gain
    Priority login
    Early access
    Additional Character Slots
    Daily Members-Only Sale
    500 Station Cash each month
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2013-06-17 at 04:26 AM. Reason: typo

It was an interview, but kind of old one I was reading the other day. Of course, it wasn't really said by the gw2 person, but the writer's take, without much proof, so yeah probably not accurate.

However, it wouldn't shock me. I know lots of ppl who have stopped buying stuff from the cash shop but still play. There's just nothing worth buying for some of them. That's why an optional sub might be good, so as long as it offers some good stuff.
    There are lots of options for pricing, and generally people like options. Buying the box, and then a cash shop, alone with maybe multiple sub pricings maybe. A hybrid model I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Not sure what TSW gives but Planetside's optional sub gives the following;

25-50% increased resource gain
    25-50% increased XP gain
    Increased passive cert point gain
    Priority login
    Early access
    Additional Character Slots
    Daily Members-Only Sale
    500 Station Cash each month
    oh I see, thanks, I never played a game with that system.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    In the case of TSW, you get a bunch of bonuses (bonus xp, bonus drop rate) and a monthly stipend for the cash shop that covers each monthly DLC release (content updates are paid DLC).

Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
    It was an interview, but kind of old one I was reading the other day. Of course, it wasn't really said by the gw2 person, but the writer's take, without much proof, so yeah probably not accurate.

However, it wouldn't shock me. I know lots of ppl who have stopped buying stuff from the cash shop but still play. There's just nothing worth buying for some of them. That's why an optional sub might be good, so as long as it offers some good stuff.
    There are lots of options for pricing, and generally people like options. Buying the box, and then a cash shop, alone with maybe multiple sub pricings maybe. A hybrid model I guess.
    We'll see with the next quarterly earnings numbers, but numbers were still strong 6ish months after release, and I have yet to see any actual data (not including anecdotal "well my server is totes dead!" stuff) that implied a significant drop in active players or a reduction in the number of purchasing players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those bonuses don't sound too bad except for the bonus drop rate one. Seems a little unfair.

Deleted
    Sub for a multiplayer game? Meh i really don't think they will choose that path. It certainly going to be B2P but other than that maybe a store with real m oney to buy mounts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphlord View Post
    I guess one of the benefits of ESO being pushed back to 2014 is that adventure zones will likely be implemented at launch. They were saying before that adventure zones probably wouldn't make it at launch, but now they have another 8-ish months to make sure they get it in.

And perhaps the Thieves Guild will make it in as well.
    I highly doubt it. Most likely this whole time they'll just be cleaning up the RC, and finishing the port to consoles.

Deleted
    Their focus seems to be more on Gameplay and keeping the Elderscrolls feel, I wouldn't expect a sub that offers beneficial buffs, tbh even a cash shop in this game sounds too far fetched. It's Zenimax/Bethesda... Just doesn't fit in with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Their focus seems to be more on Gameplay and keeping the Elderscrolls feel, I wouldn't expect a sub that offers beneficial buffs, tbh even a cash shop in this game sounds too far fetched. It's Zenimax/Bethesda... Just doesn't fit in with them.
    Highly unlikely that it will be a sub-based game, and I can't honestly see a game other than FFXIV launching without a cash shop in this day and age. FFXI/XIV are the only big name MMO's without cash shops on the market now (WoW and EVE both have them). If you're going for profitability, launching without one is a huge mistake.

And it's not Bethesda, it's Zenimax Online, a brand new studio that was built specifically for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I haven't kept up with this game at all. What's the status on the beta? A lot of invites out there?
    Think there was only two(?) waves of invites.

Deleted

And it's not Bethesda, it's Zenimax Online, a brand new studio that was built specifically for the game.
    ZeniMax Online are the developers, Besthesda Softworks is still publishing it, and to say they all work in the same building... I think they get a say in how it develops

I just can't see a cash shop in this game, maybe they will but if they do, they'd keep what they sell on it very... selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just on the Elder Scrolls wiki and it says you're able to marry other players. That is going to be hilarious for RP.

awww, it's sweet that you can get married. i wonder if you can choose a theme for the wedding? dark, gothic wedding for my vampire elf >:3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphlord View Post
    I was just on the Elder Scrolls wiki and it says you're able to marry other players. That is going to be hilarious for RP.
    Make it weirder, gay and lesbian, go!