Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Aye, which is why we need to be complaining now. I played the "it's still beta guys, chill" game long enough with TOR.
    Well they do seem to be taking the fans concerns into consideration. So I suppose now is the time voice them before it becomes too late in the development cycle to alter the design choices.

Orcs do not look like dunmer or aelid. Seriously. You can make the case that the distinction between a nord and a breton isn't all that great but your stretching it quite a bit when you say orcs look like elves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Precisely!

I mean, look how much has already changed in response to the MASSIVE negative criticism since they first announced it: First person mode got put back in (was originally only going to have third - specifically saying you couldn't play in 1'st)... and gameplay changed to ALL real-time normal/blocking attacks using Elder Scrolls control scheme. (Was originally announced to be white-damage auto-attacks with real-time block/dodge special moves similar to WoW).
    well, at least they're LISTENING to complaints and criticism and do change their original plans for the game.

For the races ... we have three human races (Redguard, Breton, Nord) - they most likely share one common ancestor, it's like comparing Khajiit tribe A to Khajiit tribe B. Same for elves.
    You can only hope for enough choices in the character creation process and enough unique physical attributes for each race.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    well, at least they're LISTENING to complaints and criticism and do change their original plans for the game.

For the races ... we have three human races (Redguard, Breton, Nord) - they most likely share one common ancestor, it's like comparing Khajiit tribe A to Khajiit tribe B. Same for elves.
    You can only hope for enough choices in the character creation process and enough unique physical attributes for each race.
    This is complicated but here is a timeline that somewhat explains where the races came from. Keep in mind that TES lore is complex so you might want to dig deeper into the Imperial Library:

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/merethic-era
    Last edited by Tabbycat; 2012-12-31 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    To make more playable would mean sinking to WoW level and twisting lore just to justify this.
    I find this sentence funny, considering that the three factions could be called the single largest fuck you to the lore of TES.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I find this sentence funny, considering that the three factions could be called the single largest fuck you to the lore of TES.
    How so? The game takes places 1000 years before the elder scrolls games, i feel that gives some room to create lore. Maybe the racism of nords against the Dunmer happened because of what happened in their alliance. Even through they already hate each other in The ESO, maybe it gave them a stronger reason to hate each other?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbeaty View Post
    How so? The game takes places 1000 years before the elder scrolls games, i feel that gives some room to create lore. Maybe the racism of nords against the Dunmer happened because of what happened in their alliance. Even through they already hate each other in The ESO, maybe it gave them a stronger reason to hate each other?
    Exactly what I was going to say, also there was a Q&A and that was addressed in it.

Deleted
    Since it took Bethesda 3x attempts to make a game designed for consoles, just wonder how many attempts it will take this now console dev to make a pc game again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Since it took Bethesda 3x attempts to make a game designed for consoles, just wonder how many attempts it will take this now console dev to make a pc game again.
    Well it's developed by a different studio, so I doubt it'd be that terrible, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbeaty View Post
    And Elder Scrolls history is written for far longer period than that and in rather great detail while at it. First Elder Scrolls, Arena, happens roughly at 390 years into Third Era, and if we are to go 1000 of them behind on that, by then Dunmer had pillaged, conquered and enslaved Argonian and the Blackmarsh for hundreds to thousands of years and would continue to do so for almoust the entire of the 1000 years even with Empire's blessing once it was rebuilt as Dunmer demanded special conditions and upholding of their traditions coming from times immemorial if they were join to Empire. The slavery wasn't really abolished until events of Morrowind and even then it was still widely practiced.

That sets up quite nice Argonian/Dunmerian relations, doesn't it? I'm sure they're all "well grudge grudge meh lets just do it!"

How about Nords then? Well, xenophopic nords on their arrival drove every single elf they could find off the Skyrim and over next hundreds of years annexed much of the north, including Morrowind.

While after the breaking of the First Empire there was not so much hostilities between Dunmer and Nords the two races certainly never looked eye to eye, thanks to the pre-mentioned xenophobia that was thickly ingrained to both races and then the grudges of the past.

Any sort of alliance between these 3 factions is outright impossibility if going by the very established lore of TES, but hey...

Exactly what I was going to say, also there was a Q&A and that was addressed in it.
    ...of course they have to address it somehow to try to steer off the mess that should never have happened in the first place.

Stonesthrow is digging up all the ZeniMax interview videos and placing them in this thread: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/143...views-of-2012/

What kind of crafting do you want in the game? I loved the crafting system in all of the es games, Enchanting, Smithing, Alchemy, Cooking. I want all of them to play a real distinctive role in the gameplay. Like alchemy giving weapons poison, Smithing make blades sharper, Cooking giving long worth while buffs in battle, Enchanting giving your item a cool look and spell effects "like snare, healing reduction, fire dmg etc." Also Alchemy giving resistances. Idk the combinations are just endless, I love the system in skyrim where it actually level'd you up. Also something i want is no npc that offer "mats or tools" that you need to level the skill or nodes all over the world. I want to make it so you have explore the world, dive in dungeons, search in caves, raid bandit camps to find the tools and materials need to advance the skill. Also When crafting an item or making a potion/poison or cooking a stew there will be a little mini game "the better the item the harder the game" Where you actually have to create the item from scratch and if you fail you lose the mats and you destroy whatever you are making. This can also happen with enchanting, kind of like morrowind enchanting system if you failed it destroy the item. When you gain a rank the possibly of failing to craft something becomes lower and lower. I loved the alchemy system in oblivion with all the different tools need to make a potion, Starting off at novice, apprentice, journeyman, expert, master.

I love Skyrim but I think it will fail as MMO ;/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    And Elder Scrolls history is written for far longer period than that and in rather great detail while at it. First Elder Scrolls, Arena, happens roughly at 390 years into Third Era, and if we are to go 1000 of them behind on that, by then Dunmer had pillaged, conquered and enslaved Argonian and the Blackmarsh for hundreds to thousands of years and would continue to do so for almoust the entire of the 1000 years even with Empire's blessing once it was rebuilt as Dunmer demanded special conditions and upholding of their traditions coming from times immemorial if they were join to Empire. The slavery wasn't really abolished until events of Morrowind and even then it was still widely practiced.

That sets up quite nice Argonian/Dunmerian relations, doesn't it? I'm sure they're all "well grudge grudge meh lets just do it!"

How about Nords then? Well, xenophopic nords on their arrival drove every single elf they could find off the Skyrim and over next hundreds of years annexed much of the north, including Morrowind.

While after the breaking of the First Empire there was not so much hostilities between Dunmer and Nords the two races certainly never looked eye to eye, thanks to the pre-mentioned xenophobia that was thickly ingrained to both races and then the grudges of the past.

Any sort of alliance between these 3 factions is outright impossibility if going by the very established lore of TES, but hey...

...of course they have to address it somehow to try to steer off the mess that should never have happened in the first place.
    Ever consider that ESO may exist inside a Dragon Break? Which doesn't affect the history of the Single Player games?

Worked pretty damn well after Daggerfall if I'm not mistaken, even explained that Mannimarco succeeded (not sure about this one, Never got to play it) in one instance of reality, we just didn't see the results in our own time stream.
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2013-01-01 at 11:37 PM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I'm sure they keep up piling excuses for the retcons

Besides, my point was to show how much of an retcon that alliance is to mcbeauty as he scolded WoW bigtime for retconning and apparently living in paraller universe where ESO had none.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2013-01-02 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    The reason they're doing this is to promote cooperation/bonding in their homelands between factions instead of individual competition. It's actually an excellent idea - the problem is it TOTALLY negates what Elder Scrolls is about and is NOT what ES players wanted.
    I, as an Elder Scrolls player, want nothing to do with any kind of MMO.

In every. Single. Elder Scrolls game, you are (the player is) *THE* Chosen One for that generation. Not *A* Chosen One, motherfucking THE (cue Chesney Hawkes' "The One and Only"). You, and you alone (with some help/restrictions from the writing staff), steer the course of Tamriel's history (at least 'til they write the next game and 'canonize' what 'actually' happened). You don't compete for quest mobs with 5000 other "Chosen One"s, you don't do the same lame quests ad infinium having no effect on the world whatsoever, you don't go "kill a bear, kill a bear, kill another bear, kill another bear...". You do stuff. Stuff that matters. *You* change the world. Not some nebulous "we" or "they" or "the adventurers". You do. You get some help along the way, sure, but you're the lynchpin; without you, the whole thing falls apart. That just can't be replicated that in an MMO.

...maybe that's what you mean.

And so, as I foretold when Skyrim released, the (or at least one of the few) last bastion(s) of good single-player story franchises falls to the way-side of failed, greed-driven MMO projects.

It isn't like they haven't made a spinoff of the TES series before. I present http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Battlespire:Battlespire and http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Redguard:Redguard as evidence. So if the idea of TESO bothers you, just consider them to be in the same category as Battlespire and Redguard. Play them for the fun of it. Bethesda will eventually make TES: VI anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    I, as an Elder Scrolls player, want nothing to do with any kind of MMO.

In every. Single. Elder Scrolls game, you are (the player is) *THE* Chosen One for that generation. Not *A* Chosen One, motherfucking THE (cue Chesney Hawkes' "The One and Only"). You, and you alone (with some help/restrictions from the writing staff), steer the course of Tamriel's history (at least 'til they write the next game and 'canonize' what 'actually' happened).
    In Morrowind, anyone could be a "chosen one", the player character just was the first who didn't fuck it up (Unless you of course killed someone important, which then again had consequences).

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently I am optimistic about the Elder Scrolls Online. Unlike others who are more speculative than I, I can't entirely imagine it being another World of Warcaft clone. However, that said I am still a little speculative about the game since not much so far has been revealed. I want to participate in any alpha or beta test I can to see how it actually compares to an Elder Scrolls game and how it compares to an MMO game or if has some identity crisis and can't decide which to be. Hence I can understand why many people I talk to about are not that excited.

The class system seems ambitious and flexible based on what I've read. It some how reminds me of the class system from other games where depending on what you have equipped and what armor you wear determines your class's specialization more so than a talent tree or menu selection. Much like an elder scrolls game the more you play one way the more your character reflects your style. I am interested to see just how creative you can be and if there are "Do-Overs" that let you remake your character if you change your mind at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    Bethesda will eventually make TES: VI anyway.
    Like how Blizzard released WarCraft IV only a few years after WoW premiered?