I'm glad the goal of ESO is not to kill WoW. Their goal, as they've said many times, is to make it feel like you are playing TES but with friends.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Do those games have other skills you can use or is it just what ever your weapon is? This game is gonna have a whole lot more than just weapons swings like the two games you mentioned. Do you think a WoW hunter would be as effective in that system? I dont think so.
    Just the swings. And Elder Scrolls games, which I compared it to, don't have alot more than weapon swings either. Normal attack, power attack and recently in Skyrim shield bash if you have a shield. Which is the same as Mount and Blade which has huge multiplayer battles with archers, swordsmen and everything inbetween fighting. I honestly don't think it will be much of a problem. If characters move too fast the drawing and releasing of the arrow, as well as the arrow's speed, could just be increased. I don't think aiming would be a problem at all as it isn't in any other game.

Also, don't drag anything related to WoW into this discussion about combat mechanics, it doesn't belong. WoW has an outdated combat system, hailing back to the first 3d rpgs ever made. If you want to compare the combat in TESO you will only have to look to titles like Mount and Blade, Dark Messiah and War of the Roses, that is essentially what they are going for and it works well in those games. WoW is not comparable at all because the game was made in an entirely different time with entirely different expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Please tell me that is going to be a sub mmo. B2P and F2P suck. Buy to play game have no endgame content and F2P games cost way way way more then sub games if you really want to play the game.

Also - Aldmeri Dominion
    I agree with this completely. I really hope there is a sub because a sub is what allows there to be good content updates. Free to play games end up getting boring too fast. Buy to play games are bad because not everyone buys the content that is available (eg, some of your friends won't be able to go into new dungeons or will have shitty gear) and to really experience all of the content you have to spend too much.

For those of you that have been participating in the Targeting dissucion i found an article that talks about it indepth with Quotes from devs and from the person who wrote the article and what he experienced while playing the game.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2012/12/targeting-in-eso/

If you dont want to read it basically says that you attack in the direction of your target reticule similar to what Elderscrolls games currently do or games like Tera and to an extent GW2 (altho the reticule in gw2 is invisible in the center of your screen). What they decided to do is that when mobs or players are more clutterd together and you want to hit a specific target there is a hard-locking system in place, so that your attacks will hit that target and not the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by indoordinosaur View Post
    I agree with this completely. I really hope there is a sub because a sub is what allows there to be good content updates. Free to play games end up getting boring too fast. Buy to play games are bad because not everyone buys the content that is available (eg, some of your friends won't be able to go into new dungeons or will have shitty gear) and to really experience all of the content you have to spend too much.
    Content update is caused by developer competency, not by funding. More people / more funding a quicker / better content development it is not, in fact it may be a hindrance.

Buy to play, your example is called bad implementation and not true to all game.

Free to play, dependent on games for the example you put.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    If you dont want to read it basically says that you attack in the direction of your target reticule similar to what Elderscrolls games currently do or games like Tera and to an extent GW2 (altho the reticule in gw2 is invisible in the center of your screen). What they decided to do is that when mobs or players are more clutterd together and you want to hit a specific target there is a hard-locking system in place, so that your attacks will hit that target and not the others.
    Yay for new strategy and game play style so you have to move.

Deleted
    I hope I'm not too late with this but there is no worse model than F2P. How anyone plays these games is beyond me.

F2P means cash shop means pay to win. Nothing further to see here. So I really hope TES: Online will either have the traditional sub model or buy the game, play for free, then buy content packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    Their goal, as they've said many times, is to make it feel like you are playing TES but with friends.
    I don't remember auto aimed on ranged in TES. So we shall see if it feels like TES soon I suppose.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I hope I'm not too late with this but there is no worse model than F2P. How anyone plays these games is beyond me.

F2P means cash shop means pay to win. Nothing further to see here. So I really hope TES: Online will either have the traditional sub model or buy the game, play for free, then buy content packs.
    LoL and GW2 are just two examples of cash shops that don't entice you to pay to win. You don't have to make a F2P game P2W.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    /point Tera.
    Surprisingly range isn't so bad in Tera for both DPS and PvP.
    Tera's playstyle while leveling as a melee is the clunkiest thing I've ever played. Abilities lock you out so that you can't cancel during the animation and a lot of abilities last 2-3 seconds which feels atrocious. The PvP, as a result, just feels all around horrible in the game. And you have to be standing still to attack and your attack is what moves you in whatever direction.

So I really hope ESO doesn't go the Tera route.

Honestly, that's my biggest worry. Will ESO combat be smooth? As of right now nothing can rival WoW in the smoothness of combat even with all broken amount CC and things around. I feel like they CAN pull the Elder Scrolls combat system off but it's going to be tough to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Just to add to the discussion of the fabled tab-targetting, direct quote from Paul Sage:

What we can tell you right now is that the targeting system is very similar to what you experienced when you visited us for the preview event. Like in Skyrim, your attacks go where your reticle is aimed. So, while we don’t have traditional tab-targeting, we do have a system where if enemies are close together, you can tab to select the one you wish to hit. Think of this more as an aid to aiming, and this can be especially effective for ranged combat.
    All targeting is ultimately based on where your reticle is aimed–when you have your reticle aimed at a monster (or group of monsters) you can lock onto a target and even cycle through a group to select the one you want to attack. In the case of monsters that are closely stacked on each other, the one you have ‘selected’ is the one your attacks will hit. If your reticle is clearly on one target but your target-aid is on another target, you will still hit the target your reticle is on. Also, you must be facing your target to hit them.
    There’s a bit more to the targeting and aiming system than that (and we’ll go into more detail in the Ask Us Anything and upcoming combat-centric community content), but hopefully that gives you a general idea. As with anything in development, just keep in mind that this is subject to change.
    So you still have to aim. You still have to look around, but in clutters of other players or mobs, you can chose to select one mob over the others to hit instead of just the one your arrow WOULD otherwise hit. I assume this also applies for Melee and spells =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    LoL and GW2 are just two examples of cash shops that don't entice you to pay to win. You don't have to make a F2P game P2W.
    Neither are true MMOs though.

You can buy points in LoL that can be used to buy upgrades(like runes) and you can also buy experience. It doesn't unbalance the game because there is no player trade and no currency and it's more like a lobby game, so there is no "world", no place to compare gear, world PvP etc.

If LoL was a MMO, then it would be pay to win.

Neither are true MMOs though.

You can buy points in LoL that can be used to buy upgrades(like runes) and you can also buy experience. It doesn't unbalance the game because there is no player trade and no currency and it's more like a lobby game, so there is no "world", no place to compare gear, world PvP etc.

If LoL was a MMO, then it would be pay to win.
    You present bait

but I don't see it.

So you still have to aim. You still have to look around, but in clutters of other players or mobs, you can chose to select one mob over the others to hit instead of just the one your arrow WOULD otherwise hit. I assume this also applies for Melee and spells =)
    Makes sense.

Kinda wanna play skyrim right now

kinda...

Even with the animation lock I much prefer Teras combat to WoW's combat.

I'd love it if TESO had combat very similar to Vindictus.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You present bait

but I don't see it.
    What is that supposed to mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

Please post constructively.
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-01-26 at 08:32 PM.

It means you called out GW2 for not being a true MMO without explaining how it isn't.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

And that my friends is a clouded view on the F2P model. Not all games are designed to sell power. Good designed games sell convenince items like exp boosts or rez potions so you dont have to have long walks back, there is also cosmetic items which tones of ppl buy. Pets and mounts. Non of these are pay to win. GW2 is a perfect example of a game where after you buy the box there are no more transactions you have to make to keep playing. Everything in its shop is either cosmetic or for convience. They sell weapon skins not top of the tier weapons, the sell exp boosts which are akin to crafted food in terms of the exp they provide.

I think alot of F2P games come out of the Asian market and were designed with the same type of selling point. But over the years they prolly realized asians want power everyone else doesnt.

Why do people mix the real definition of MMO with their own personal opinions?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    It means you called out GW2 for not being a true MMO without explaining how it isn't.
    Oh, well, it wasn't meant as a bait for fans, I never realized someone might see it that way. What I meant was it's more of a multiplayer game than MMO. Instanced, no shared world etc. I've never played it but it's definitely not like WoW or SW or even ESO. Besides, I don't even know if it has cash shop..

Still, the point is, MMOs (with a world where you can meet and compete against other players) can't have a cash shop that sells anything but cosmetic items and claim not to be pay to win.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Why do people mix the real definition of MMO with their own personal opinions?
    Because the term MMO covers such a wide area of diffrent interrests that people adapt their own feelings and intentions for it, to the broad term =)

Everyone have diffrent experiences and emotions regarding what 'MMO' is.

That's why alot of people will mix them up. Sorry for answering a rethorical question, I just felt it was called for =D