Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well Chicago is the third biggest city in the US, so it's bound to have crime. And it's had gang activity there since forever (it's where Al Capone was from if that gives you any indication).
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    charts and whatnot

Thank you both for the info, my autistic brain doesn't let me understand things like that at first haha.

Anyway, back on topic... Were there any news about beta invites?

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    i would hardly call that action, same with tera.

the closest MMORPG to action-MMORPG is DCUO.
    How so? I'm not sure I understand. Real time combat, no auto attack, and a heavy platforming element? DDO screams action game to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    How so? I'm not sure I understand. Real time combat, no auto attack, and a heavy platforming element? DDO screams action game to me.
    LOL. Dance Dance Revolution isn't even part of any of the genres we're talking about.

But seriously, Dungeons and Dragons Online really doesn't do what it does all too well. Neither does Tera.

The only real action (mmo)RPG is Vindictus. And if the combat could even slightly compare to it then ESO is going to go places.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    so under that DA2 is also an action-rpg.

having to click or press for the auto-attack an action game does not make, its about how those attacks lead into other attacks or how you break the combos that makes a action game an action game.

contrast god of war vs. too human, in god of war there are combos based on pauses, holds, and rapid presses, in too human its the same attack every time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    contrast god of war vs. too human, in god of war there are combos based on pauses, holds, and rapid presses, in too human its the same attack every time.
    And somehow Too Human was still a vastly better game...

Sorry, that was off-topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    i still think it will be hard to put an elder scrolls experience into an MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    And somehow Too Human was still a vastly better game...

Sorry, that was off-topic.
    Please explain how that is? I thought God of War was much better.

Let's keep discussion on ESO please.

For those that missed the most recent interview with Matt Firor: http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/int...nd-skyrim.html

Interesting interview. Some of the comments are still in an uproar about not seeing your weapons in first person. I'm not sure how I feel about it. In Skyrim I would actually go to third person for melee and first person for bows and magic. How would taking away seeing my weapons affect my gameplay? I'm not sure, although for my bow/crossbow it might be important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Know what this game really needs? Bard class. Or maybe just a bard skill you can level up.

Well...I'm sure there will be a Bards guild at least

10+ Year Old Account
    Well...I'm sure there will be a Bards guild at least
    Question about that. There was a Bard's guild in Skyrim, but as far as I could tell, you couldn't really do anything with it. Was I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Question about that. There was a Bard's guild in Skyrim, but as far as I could tell, you couldn't really do anything with it. Was I missing something?
    Just provided some extra quests is all.

I'm hoping there will be some NPC guilds like that in ESO that provide more than just flavor.

Interesting interview. Some of the comments are still in an uproar about not seeing your weapons in first person. I'm not sure how I feel about it. In Skyrim I would actually go to third person for melee and first person for bows and magic. How would taking away seeing my weapons affect my gameplay? I'm not sure, although for my bow/crossbow it might be important.
    It's not a deal breaker for me personally, but I picture a lot of Skyrim newbies buying TESO, logging in and being disappointed big-time about 1st person. I love 1st person for ES sp games and think it would be a fantastic feature for solo play in the mmo; it will turn a bunch of people off if it isn't included (regardless of how necessary it is).

The link Tabbycat posted to Matt Firor's interview has a comment by Reymas, in which he makes a couple good points:

"We all know the Elder Scrolls series of RPGs is a primarily first-person experience. Todd Howard has always called third-person "vanity mode" and refused to make it a viable combat and interaction view up until Skyrim (even then it wasn't as good as first-person (AND YES SKYRIM HAS SITUATIONS WHERE YOU BECOME SURROUNDED BY MOBS - DRAUGR AMBUSHES ANYONE?).

Consider for a moment who will be buying and playing ESO and above all, who will be the most likely to stick around? Retention rate is KEY to an MMO's success.

Will it be the 1 million MMO nomads who hop onto the latest popular game, while keeping their WOW accounts open for when they get bored, eat up all the content and go back to WOW where their massive guilds and high level characters are? They last about 3 months tops. No.

Will it be the MAXIMUM of 250,000 people who played DAOC and have been itching for it's sequel (which, let's face it ESO is pretty much DAOC 2 with a coat of TES paint on its face)? I am among those people, I played DAOC for over a year and let me tell you that is not a large enough number to sustain a AAA MMO these days. Also, DAOC was overrated, sorry to say. It was interesting and new for its time but nowadays it would not hold up. You can still play it, but do you? No, you don't, because it's not very good. The novelty wore off and it became stale and repetitive. So, no.

Will it be the 12.5 million TES fans (2.5 million on PC) who will want to play this online and be invested in the content and the world? Yes, especially since ZOS had the good foresight to put the game on macs, which, for those console-players, broadens the cross-pollination of gamers.

First-person view WITH weapons/arms is 100% necessary to keep the majority of the largest user-base around as well as many other factors: it does not matter if it is the "most efficient" combat view, it isn't about that since the majority of MMO players are not power-gaming min-maxers, they are in it for the experience, ESPECIALLY with this game. Also, maybe many of you are just terrible at gaming but I've never had a problem with first-person in MMOs, even third-person ones. I could ever raid in WoW first-person on heroics and it was never an issue. You just have to not be lazy.

There have ALREADY been SO MANY disappointments with this game this could be the last straw for a great many people (if the camel's back isn't already irreparably broken from all the insanely bad press this game had been getting. This game will simply not survive if it does not target the TES user-base and make the game as close to Skyrim as possible. If you are an actual,MMO veteran, you will know full well that pretty much ANY FEATURE of SKYRIM is possible in an MMO and in fact, has already been done with much smaller teams and much smaller budgets.

ESO has 250 devs and 300 million dollars and they CAN'T make first-person work? Sounds like they all need to be fired and replaced with people who can."

While I understand why a lot of people hate the fact that first person isn't going to be fully supported, I'm really happy they're not doing it (or making it so shit that people won't want to use it). There's nothing worse than being paired up with keyboard turning idiots who can't react to anything around them because they're tunnelvisioning more than a 13yo boy tunnelvisions tits. Now I'm not saying that people who play in first person are idiots, I'm saying that playing in first person drastically lowers your spatial awareness. The last thing we need to do is give players an ability to make themselves even worse. TESO is an MMO, Skyrim is single player; you're free to run around naked and punch things and play in first person and do whatever you want in your single player game, but if I have to rely on you in an MMO and work with you, you better not be impeding yourself. I'm glad they're not letting first-person immersion guys ruin my dungeon and pvp experience.

But, while I'm not adamantly against allowing first-person, I'm not going to pick up my pitchfork for this. Couldn't care either way, but I'd just be more careful with pugs if first-person were properly fitted.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 07:19 PM ----------

I can imagine they'd still let you see the cross hair without seeing the bow.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-02-19 at 11:26 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I've been playing Skyrim in 3rd person over the shoulder view and it's very hard to get used to after playing first person. Right now I keep switching back and forth because I get frustrated with the third person view. I really hope ZOS continues to work on making the hands and weapons visible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    I've been playing Skyrim in 3rd person over the shoulder view and it's very hard to get used to after playing first person. Right now I keep switching back and forth because I get frustrated with the third person view. I really hope ZOS continues to work on making the hands and weapons visible.

i understand why they do it in ESO really, but i feel the same playing Skyrim, i just cant play in 3rd person, maybe something to do with the models in skyrim being pretty bad when in 3rd person, but i find it hard to aim and position attacks in 3rd person. going to take a bit of getting use to for me.

Deleted
    Wait what? No hands and weapons in 1st person? That's not really 1st person then at all and more like zooming in really close.. like in WoW.

Not saying that the sky is falling already but that's usually how it goes. At first they promise a lot of great features and then just scrap most of them in development. The "3rd person is better and gives you a wider view angle" argument doesn't hold much water. If it is better, why not let players decide which they want to use? Even if it becomes close to mandatory in raids and the more intense encounters, it's the freedom, exploring, atmosphere and immersion that make the TeS single player games. Most of the game is probably going to be pretty easy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    I cant play anything other than melee in 3rd person. Bows are too in accurate and Spells are no better. Melee is easy in 3rd person.