Page 1 of 2
LastLast

D3: Skills active and swapping

So, I have been reading a little bit about this game. And I keep seeing talk about being limited in what abilities you can use.

So I have a few questions.

How many skills can you have active total? What kinds are there?

How will a 30 second cooldown on skill swapping effect game play?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    You can use 6 total

You can see a list of all the skills on the Diablo 3 Skill Calculator

With elective mode you can use any 6 skills in your class - you do not have to stick to the default "groups". Each skill then has a bunch of different runes which modify it.

In the beta (normal mode), the cooldown was only 5s I think. A cooldown just means you will need to pick your build a bit more carefully for the situation you're going into, I don't personally think it will cause major grief.

Worth noting that swapping skills also wipes the Nephalim Valor magic find buff at max level.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    You can use 6 total

You can see a list of all the skills on the Diablo 3 Skill Calculator

With elective mode you can use any 6 skills in your class - you do not have to stick to the default "groups". Each skill then has a bunch of different runes which modify it.

In the beta (normal mode), the cooldown was only 5s I think. A cooldown just means you will need to pick your build a bit more carefully for the situation you're going into, I don't personally think it will cause major grief.
    Ah.

Any chance we will see like... Dota map battles? like 5v5 tower defense? Or is the game not going to be moddable like that?

So I was looking at this calculator. I can only choose 1 in each type and there's 6 types, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    Ah.

Any chance we will see like... Dota map battles? like 5v5 tower defense? Or is the game not going to be moddable like that?
    Sweet baby Jesus I hope so. That would be amazing beyond belief.

Ah.

There is currently no plans for mod support of any kind for D3.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    There is currently no plans for mod support of any kind for D3.
    Thats a shame. I could almost make alistar out of the barbarian.

: /

Would be great lol.

Deleted
    No mod support at the moment (and probably won't be).

And no you don't have to choose 1 in each type. That's the "newbie" way to have a guided build. There is a button in the options called "elective mode", aka advanced... and then you can have any skills from any types as you please.

And no you don't have to choose 1 in each type. That's the "newbie" way to have a guided build. There is a button in the options called "elective mode", aka advanced... and then you can have any skills from any types as you please.
    So, if i bind like bash to 1 what happens exactly? do i bash who I have my mouse over? do I bash on my next left click?

6 active skills at a time, bout 26 skills per class with each skill being modified significantly by 1 of the 5 possible runes you can attach to it. The idea is to select 6 skills together which work well together enough that you shouldn't ever need to swap in a new skill whilst there are monsters on your screen.

There are 2 ways to build a skillset apparantly, the first method has all the skills broken up into seperate groups so that some abilities are mutually exclusive. So in this method I wouldn't be able to take both Leap Attack and Ground Stomp together since they both occupy the Defensive key bind. In the second method you can go into the options and enable Executive Mode, whilst this is running you can bind whichever skills you want to your key binds and some abilities are no longer mutually exclusive.

Basically the first mode limits your choices and forces you to round out which sort of abilities you take, which is great for new players. The second mode lets you decide whichever 6 skills you want to use but then it's all on you, if the build doesn't work it's because you picked abilities that don't work well together.

Skills and Runes unlock as you level, your free to play around as much as you want without it costing you in game currency or such like. Heres the skill calc so you get the idea for how things work in the default setting.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian

/edit:
    Keybinds are........
    Left Click
    Right Click
    1-4

/edit2:
    Don't forget about the shift key, it's stops you moving so you can turret it up....without it playing ranged is abit awkward.
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2012-05-03 at 07:36 PM.

You will bash in whatever direction your mouse is pointing

Question. I didn't get to play during the beta but from the videos I've seen I have to ask how do I use a normal attack? Is their a normal attack? Just a weapon swing? If mouse buttons are both bound to skills is their anyway to just use a standard attack?

any reason give as to why?

any reason give as to why?
    With the required online play and the RMAH they won't add mod support for retail versions of D3. If (like they ever would) they ever add in off-line or open Battle.net style play there might be modding.

Deleted
    6 active 3 passives,

6 actives selected from their own group and 3 passives selected from their own group, the hardest choice for me are the passives coz i know exactly how i want my playstle to be(or rather skills to use namely LEAP)

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 08:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Question. I didn't get to play during the beta but from the videos I've seen I have to ask how do I use a normal attack? Is their a normal attack? Just a weapon swing? If mouse buttons are both bound to skills is their anyway to just use a standard attack?
    u can use normal attack if you want, but right now there is no need to, there are some skills that doesnt cost anything/actually builds up resources/or costs too little to matter i.e. spammable that you would want to use instead of basic attack.

if you still want a basic attack, just remove one of the skills in your mouse buttons.

Deleted
    So, if i bind like bash to 1 what happens exactly? do i bash who I have my mouse over? do I bash on my next left click?
    Your target is whatever your mouse is over. Left click is a seperate bind to a skill by itself. You get left click, right click and 1-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    With the required online play and the RMAH they won't add mod support for retail versions of D3. If (like they ever would) they ever add in off-line or open Battle.net style play there might be modding.
    thats a shame

One of the great things about wc3 and sc1/2 and even wow to some extent was its mod-ability.

I mean, if they created sort of a sandboxy part separate from the actual campaign they could do all sorts of stuff.

capture the flag, control the points, tower defense, weird random stuff.

thats a shame

One of the great things about wc3 and sc1/2 and even wow to some extent was its mod-ability.

I mean, if they created sort of a sandboxy part separate from the actual campaign they could do all sorts of stuff.

capture the flag, control the points, tower defense, weird random stuff.
    All of that might be planned for PvP, no idea what they are thinking atm since it won't be out on release.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    All of that might be planned for PvP, no idea what they are thinking atm since it won't be out on release.
    Wait, since when? I was told they were going to have arena or something?

(get sucked into swtor and the world falls apart, i swear)

Your target is whatever your mouse is over. Left click is a seperate bind to a skill by itself. You get left click, right click and 1-4.
    And if he likes, he could attach "normal attack" (only weapon swings without any effect but weapondmg) to either one mouse button. But most of the skills are a substitute for a normal attack, which then - in case you play a barbarian - generate fury. And with fury you can use more powerful and heavier attacks and moves.

But there is nothing like auto attacks and white dmg involved. Every skill scales with weapons thus making weapons just perfectly important enough to allow ignoring autoattacks.