"stacking ignite" and combustion - how does it work?

hello.

according to several sources (esp if you are close to a boss), you should try to chain crit 2-3 times in a row while banking a hot streak pyro to set up a big ignite for combustion. however, do you need to crit consecutively before a tick? (2 seconds) or can you crit consecutively before ignite drops? how much damage in the bank will you lose if they arent consecutive?

Here's an example. I'm just going to use easy numbers, but the idea is the same for normal damage numbers.

- Fireball crits for 40k (Ignite pool at 16k)
    - Ignite ticks for 8k (Ignite pool at 8k)
    - Fireball crits for 40k (Ignite pool at 24k)
    - Ignite ticks for 12k

Now here's an example where multiple crits land before ignite ticks.
    - Pyroblast crits for 40k (Ignite pool at 32k)
    - Ignite ticks for 16k

As you can see, landing multiple crits before the first ignite tick gives a much stronger dot, meaning the more crits you can line up before a combustion, the more damage it will do. Because Ignite's dot timer is reset every time it is refreshed, it is possible to continue building the pool infinitely, assuming you can cast quickly enough and all of your spells crit (i.e. Alysrazor burn phase). However, as you mentioned, a more realistic method is to get 2-3 crits chained together, then throw pyro and hope it crits as well, then use combustion.
    Last edited by Kurzior; 2012-05-03 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    - Ignite ticks for 8k (Ignite pool at 8k)
    - Fireball crits for 40k (Ignite pool at 24k)
    - Ignite ticks for 12k
    Just because I love to be that guy, the bolded bit: Ignite will actually tick for 8k three times in that situation. A refreshed Ignite ticks at 4, 2 and 0 seconds for 1/3 of the Ignite pool (compared with 2 and 0 seconds for 1/2 of the pool for a new, fresh Ignite).

i wish it was that simple... dont ever try to stack ignite before first tick, you can try tought but you realy need to know what your doing
    if you will crit twice at the same time you will lose all the ignite happens mostly when you get hotstreak and you shoot it right after the fireball
    also thats why you remove the hotstreak talent in alystrazor the ignite munch theres more reasons for it to munch i just dont remember it combustion helper count them

also its not only the ignite, if you time your combustion right you can double the dmg doesnt matter how much ignite you have
    normal combustion have 12 ticks, combustion with BL+trinket+madness weap has 23 ticks mostly happen at the start ofc the chance to get it later in the fight is pretty much impossible but the trinket from yor only adds 4 ticks wich is 25%+ dmg, if you time it right its big plus for rng cuz its pure damage increase without any rng exept the proc ofc but sometimes its worth to wait for it.

is there anything else to note when trying to stack ignite

Deleted
    Crit -> Crit again before tick = stacked ignite.

sometimes patiance worth the waiting, give your self min ignite stack in combustionhelper that you wont combustion below that number unless you have haste buff that gonna fade remember 25k in heroism is acually 32k without heroism (will tick more as i said before) combustion is between 8% to 14% of your dmg single target
    so its much more important to keep the rotation , when you have a good rng wich means alot of crits eventually ignite and fireball does more dmg than combustion
    even if you did the best combustion you ever had, if its not first you sure did someting wrong.