Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would a second American Revolution be possible?

It may be out of paranoia on my behalf, but the world is going into a bit of a tizzy. I'm sure that is something we can all notice.

Many government officials are corrupt, (i wont name any, my opinion is not relevant) people are poor, nations are preparing for war and we are in debt.

Do you think a second American revolution would be possible? Or would a war with another country/countries happen first. Perhaps you don't think anything will happen.

Discuss.
    ~Alexstrasza runs in, gets frozen for the ENTIRE battle then realizes she can breathe fire, jumps out, lets YOU kill him, then steals the spotlight with the whole BRAVE SOLDIERS THANK YOU FOR AIDING ME crap and goes on her merry way.
    Then again THERE MUST ALWAYS BE A EARTH ASPECT But then thrall GASP Takes Deathwings chin and becomes the new NELTHRALLION!

~Edit~ My past self must be some sort of a prophet.

Not in the way that the first occurred.

10+ Year Old Account
    Revolution? No.... War with another country? Yes. Considering our past, a war with another country somewhere down the line would be inevitable. Why on earth would there be a revolution? People are poor, yes, but not as poor as some parts in the world. Politicians are, for the most part, not corrupt (in the legal sense of the word), just misguided. I've not seen anything about nation(s) preparing for war with the U.S. We are in debt, yes, but a revolution wouldn't change that, nor do I think any activist could manage to round up so many people ignorant to that so he could successfully overthrow the government.
    Last edited by Runeforged; 2012-05-03 at 11:01 PM.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

Deleted
    Imo a revolution in this day and age is very unlikely in America.

An organized revolution? Unlikely, but as the gap between rich and poor continues to expand and politicians bicker like children I believe riots will become increasingly common.

I think it could occur, but the winning side is the one the military backs.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    I.E. the government. So the answer is unfortunately no.

Deleted
    don't think so. The US politicians have a small chance to be corrupt. Only reason for a revolution would be between the 'internet' generation vs the older generations. Especially with those internet laws, i can foresee some action from the users.

Or when the US citizens finally realize that if the US keeps invading countries (even though for some valid reasons), they'll prolly protest heavily. The internet has opened a new way of free thinking that is far more superior that education in schools and tv.

10+ Year Old Account
    possible? yes. probable? possibly. the reality is the rebels would be owned by drones and the survivors (and friends/familys of the survivors) would be locked up in concentration camp like a modern day n korea
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    They won't back the democrats.

The second revolution will have to take place on the internet and in the words spoken at public venues. If any group of people tried to go up against the US military, they would be cut down like weeds within a matter of hours, if not minutes.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 11:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    The US military is sworn to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic. By the very nature of that oath, they will back the establishment over any revolution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Assuming the military would shoot US citizens, I would bet good money that a great many would side with the revolters. People I have spoken to in the military hate the government, it would not take much to push them over the edge.

---------- Post added 2012-05-04 at 01:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The second revolution will have to take place on the internet and in the words spoken at public venues. If any group of people tried to go up against the US military, they would be cut down like weeds within a matter of hours, if not minutes.

The US military is sworn to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic. By the very nature of that oath, they will back the establishment over any revolution.
    That oath means shit when the government starts rounding up your family.

Deleted
    A thread similar to this broke out a couple of months back, I think my response to that one is suitable here too:

No, a revolution would not be possible. After the invention of the atomic bomb and the development of extremely deadly and expensive military technology, it has become impossible for real public, violent dissidence to occur.

Check out George Orwell's discussion of the topic: 'You And The Atom Bomb'

In the article, he argues that a people's ability to make war on their government is intrinsically tied to the cost of developing current weapon technology, and with it being so high today (as it was when he wrote the essay), it is now impossible to make civil war in a developed country. I agree with him.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can see a revolution going two different routes.

One: revolutionary cells would be comprised and flash mob attacks would be used to terrorize and control key locations.

Two: all out anarchy, race/holy/ideological differences along with socioeconomic concerns would put us against each other, with the government having to come in and create police states.

With the country declining economically, and polar opposite ideologies, I would say yes, its very possible. The country today is engaged in an ideological war to some degree, and it seem to be escalating. I cant recall ever seeing such heated debates and anger among the populace over political and social issues.
    Last edited by Demithio; 2012-05-04 at 12:48 AM.

As in something that would result in a change of the Government ? Strongly doubt that. Surveillance and technology seems far too developed to get such a thing even planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post

What if the establishment is in blatant and clear violation of the constitution?

For the sake of argument, what happens when a President refuses to step down at the end of his term and orders the military to shut down Congress and the Supreme Court? By backing the president, the military would be in violation of the constitution. In fact how would you even define the "establishment" if the revolution ultimately occurs because different branches of the government are at odds with one another? If the President orders troops to arrest Congress, and Congress votes to throw the President out of office (which would negate that order), what does the military do?

Anyways, under current circumstances I don't think a revolution is very likely. 20 years down the road if specific trends aren't reversed (mainly the growing rich/poor gap and increasing political deadlock) and all the wrong things happen in exactly the wrong way, possibly. In a future where there has been a government shutdown for four of the past five years, where the government has been forced to default on the debt and enact crippling austerity measures, where major incidents of politically motivated violence happens every few months, and where what government is functioning is essentially owned and operated by corporate interests, I could see a revolution happening.

In order for it to actually happen, we'd need a major event to act as a catalyst that turns the occasional riot into a full-blown revolution. A large massacre of civilians might do it, someone attempting to become President-for-life could do it, a military coup might also be the trigger point.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Well we could say that the military would prevent it, but then there's nothing to say that the military itself couldn't split into factions if it gets to that point. In any case, it would probably be a while from now if it were to happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    A revolution will never happen. We don't have it bad enough. It's still not that bad being a middle class american even though we are generally the 'most fucked.'

Apathy is a very powerful thing in this country. Everywhere really - look how long it takes before the people rise up anywhere.

Besides, look at our 'occupy' movements... that was embarrassing and accomplished nothing. That's about as close to a revolution you'll get from this culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone catch undertone. People in thread think tea party will be revolutionists. think it conservative revolution. silly fucks got it wrong. when the revolution comes, there will be no more us. country fracture. many in place of one.

Long live the Free Republic of Cascadia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE