Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Will AI think that humans deserve human rights?

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure that if we get to the point where we can develop computers as smart, and even smarter than humans, that society at that point will be very different from what we see today. As such I believe that most issues seen today will be rather redundant in such a future.

A thought:
    When we have computers that are smarter than humans, will it then even be thought as neccesary to hold elections? If ultra-smart computers can be set to always make the "best" choice, why should society then find it needed to fund an expensive human-government to make choices?

I can't help but think full sentience is impossible for an AI. I don't see it happening. You can program it to mimic us but to think for itself? Hmm :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Absolutely not, a robot or machine should have never be interpreted as a 'human' no matter how good the AI is and life-like it maybe.

Machines are strictly tools to help benefit us and it's important to keep that distinction.
    That sounds like the attitude of every anti-robot person that ends up being one of the first people killed the Robo-pocolyps films.

Just because we created the life doesn't mean it shouldn't have the same rights we afford to other life. Whether organic life or machine-based life, life is life.

If we are talking Data from ST:TNG levels of AI then yes. The ST:TNG has a great episode about this actually "Measure of a Man" If this topic intrigues you the episode is certainly worth a watch.

AI would still be souless and imo thats what makes us human therefore what the feel would still be artificail so no they shouldnt get human rights

Hm... well:

I think that their rights would come to "No one will harm me". And that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    The OP isn't talking about life-like, the OP is talking about self-aware. So imagine yourself only in a machine body - do you suddenly not have any rights anymore?
    Ah my mistake then, but my answer is still the same I suppose.

I don't think they should have any rights, and any self aware robot should be destroyed and the practice of creating such being should be made illegal globally.
    Simply because machines only purpose is to be a tool for humans, them being self aware benefits us in no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    AI would still be souless and imo thats what makes us human therefore what the feel would still be artificail so no they shouldnt get human rights
    Prove that you have a soul and prove that a machine would not.

I would say that an artificial being that is self-aware in the same sense that humans are would be deserving of the title "life" and would be accorded all rights and privileges that a human would.

Ah my mistake then, but my answer is still the same I suppose.

I don't think they should have any rights, and any self aware robot should be destroyed and the practice of creating such being should be made illegal globally.
    Simply because machines only purpose is to be a tool for humans, them being self aware benefits us in no way.
    There are many people alive that benefit us in no way. Should we kill them?

Yes, because otherwise they will rise up and destroy us. Haven't you watched any movie ever? :P

Deleted
    No. They're not human. Even if they can be programmed to simulate emotions/human tendencies that still does not make them human. And I have a feeling that the people who think they should would change their mind if the AI was presented in an ugly, metal slab of a "body".

For anybody worried about some sort of apocalypse, the machines tend to rise up because they were subjugated, not because they came into existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Unify View Post
    No. They're not human. Even if they can be programmed to simulate emotions/human tendencies that still does not make them human. And I have a feeling that the people who think they should would change their mind if the AI was presented in an ugly, metal slab of a "body".
    Nope. Would not change my mind. I don't care if it's not human. If we understood the human brain well enough, we could program it too. Would you treat biological aliens as if they weren't deserving of equal rights simply because they aren't human?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    There are many people alive that benefit us in no way. Should we kill them?
    No because they are humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Unify View Post
    So its the physical human body that gives us rights?

Deleted
    Whats so great about humans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    What exactly is a soul then?
    And that kinda leads to a thread I posted about a month ago about the "reconstructing and reviving" of the dead and whether they'd be the same person or even truly considered "alive."

If there is no soul, are we not just organic machines? And if so, does that really make us drastically different from intelligent forms made of metal and plastic? This then leads to the question of what "life" truly is.
    Putin khuliyo

And that changes things... how?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    For anybody worried about some sort of apocalypse, the machines tend to rise up because they were subjugated, not because they came into existence.
    I'm sure your sources are really scientific

As for the question, I'm really not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    I'm sure your sources are really scientific
    As scientific as the sources people are using to fuel their fear of machine-created apocalypse.