Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Does AI deserve "human" rights?

So I got to thinking, if AI ever got to a level where it could think, feel, perceive, and learn as humans do, if AI was capable of true sentience, would they then deserve human rights? Like if I could build C-3PO, would he be right in demanding that he's not treated like a second class citizen, that he gets the right to vote or the right to due process? Should these rights be denied to mechanical beings simply because they are mechanical?
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully we'll be smart enough to never develop machines to that point, because I'm thinking "no".

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're fully sentient they should deserve equal rights.
    Edit: To elaborate, I think human rights should be changed to encompass sentient rights.
    Last edited by Ynna; 2012-05-04 at 09:20 PM.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe...

Be kind of fucked up if AI was given human rights before some humans were given it though...

Its actually a fairly interesting question. Essentially you have to ask yourself why humans have rights. What is it about humanity that makes us different than animals?

I hope so, we could eventually reach the point where we get a robot president! Progress! Efficiency! DESTRUCTION OF THE HUMAN RACE!

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

its not a human

therefore no

Deleted
    Have you watched Irobot recently?

Seriously though, no, AI beings, no matter the intellect level should never have human rights, because if they did, we wouldn't be able to control them and chaos on earth would break out and the zombie robot apocalypse will end us all!

Absolutely not, a robot or machine should have never be interpreted as a 'human' no matter how good the AI is and life-like it maybe.

Machines are strictly tools to help benefit us and it's important to keep that distinction.

Deleted
    maybe the term "nigh-equal" rights would be better fitting. human rights is a human invention whose "advantages" apply to about 50% of humanity.
    if the developers of that ai were clever, they implemented something to make it "dumber" than humans.

if not ... well it would in theory be way ...stronger than humans. thanks to the internet such an ai would be next to unstoppable ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    So I got to thinking, if AI ever got to a level where it could think, feel, perceive, and learn as humans do, if AI was capable of true sentience, would they then deserve human rights? Like if I could build C-3PO, would he be right in demanding that he's not treated like a second class citizen, that he gets the right to vote or the right to due process? Should these rights be denied to mechanical beings simply because they are mechanical?
    If it's sentient, it deserves the same rights as other sentient beings.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

When they become self aware and sentient yes they do.

Give them equal rights! Have we not learned anything from Terminator, The Matrix, Battlestar Galactica, etc?!?! If a machine is capable of thoughts and emotions then fear, anger, and hate will be among them and treating said machines poorly would lead to conflict and the darkside.

No, they shouldn't get human rights. But a set of AI rights should be written up that makes them treated fairly. Have it updated as they improve, and if they get to the point they're able to have emotions and the like of humans, then perhaps they should get the same rights.

apparently there actually was a convention at some point in the past 5 years i think on robot ethics. Very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

If they're that advanced, they basically aren't machines anymore. They would've become living beings just as you can interpret animals/humans as (biological) machines. It wouldn't make much sense to directly apply "human" rights, but something very similar would certainly be necessary.

Edit: After all, our brain is nothing but a complex biochemical computer (and also what makes us human).

it would be irrelevant. the second AI is legit and machines can make choices the way we do, they'll realize they are superior to us "mentally", physically and will take control

not sure IF we ever get to that point but there is no logical reason it wouldn't happen. we're dominant and we took over. dinosaurs were once dominant and mammals were their little scrumptious bitches.

just the circle of life. you're at the top by force or you're not at the top at all

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Absolutely not, a robot or machine should have never be interpreted as a 'human' no matter how good the AI is and life-like it maybe.

Machines are strictly tools to help benefit us and it's important to keep that distinction.
    The OP isn't talking about life-like, the OP is talking about self-aware. So imagine yourself only in a machine body - do you suddenly not have any rights anymore?

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPCw09-DNFg

Just going to leave this here ^^

I'll be back. . . . . . . .