Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    Robots are slaves

They don't need a free will...
    Congratulations, you just started the apocalypses.
    If they had all the same mental capacity as humans, than think about the last time there was slavery, except this time it would be robots.
    Have you ever been punched in the face by a metal fist? Getting punched by a robot fist would make a human fist feel like a pillow fight.
    The human brain is flawed, an AI brain wouldn't be, they wouldn't forget anything, they would know more than anyone could ever imagine. And everyone knows Knowledge=power.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    And that kinda leads to a thread I posted about a month ago about the "reconstructing and reviving" of the dead and whether they'd be the same person or even truly considered "alive."

If there is no soul, are we not just organic machines? And if so, does that really make us drastically different from intelligent forms made of metal and plastic? This then leads to the question of what "life" truly is.
    This leads to a conclusion I came to a couple months ago. Humans are robots. We're all made up of similar parts, accept and display information if we are functioning correctly, and require regular maintenance. In addition to that, we are programmed. When you are growing up you are given a set of rules that you use to manipulate the data you receive and return the proper output. The only difference that living, organic creatures have when compared with robots is that we grow, and even that is equatable to upgrading your computer by putting in a newer hard drive, or upgrading the RAM.

It is because of this that, when we have created an artificial intelligence that is virtually indistinguishable from a human mind, I believe that AIs would in fact deserve the same rights you would apply to any other human being. Because at that point, you have created a human being whose only appreciable difference is the fact that they are made of plastic and metal instead of flesh and blood.

Kind of an odd position to be in, but I would say no...at the end of the day, they are *not* living things, they don't actually have feelings or anything because there is nothing there. Your goldfish you paid 50 cents is essentially more conscious of itself, it's actually alive. AI is a very smart computer, nothing more, so I don't see why they should have more rights than your PC in 2012. This being said, obviously it would be a bad idea to build a billion of them and then treat them like bitches.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2012-05-05 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    it would be irrelevant. the second AI is legit and machines can make choices the way we do, they'll realize they are superior to us "mentally", physically and will take control

not sure IF we ever get to that point but there is no logical reason it wouldn't happen. we're dominant and we took over. dinosaurs were once dominant and mammals were their little scrumptious bitches.

just the circle of life. you're at the top by force or you're not at the top at all
    ^ This

Its funny that people still think human beings would be in control any longer if we developed such a "race" of sentient beings. They'd be just like human beings, they'd have a thirst to be at the top of the food chain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    You are a machine, just of different construction.
    The human body is an organism, not a machine.

No fraking toaster deserves human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Give them equal rights! Have we not learned anything from Terminator, The Matrix, Battlestar Galactica, etc?!?! If a machine is capable of thoughts and emotions then fear, anger, and hate will be among them and treating said machines poorly would lead to conflict and the darkside.
    Instal windows 98 in the machines and remove their ctrl + alt + del. They'll never start a rebellion

OT: No, I hope we never develop machines like that.

Deleted
    Original question posed by the OP: Does AI deserve "human" rights?

Even when machines become more like us, the thing is - they will NEVER become us. That's not to say that they don't deserve any if they develop sentience, but as for "human" rights, my personal opinion on the matter is no, they do not deserve human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its actually a fairly interesting question. Essentially you have to ask yourself why humans have rights. What is it about humanity that makes us different than animals?
    You basically answered yourself, humans are the only species to ask why.

Anyone creating AIs with any sort of intelligence whether it be game mobs or sentient robots like Data or EDI, the creator has to be smart enough (hopefully) to install some type of control chip to keep the robot/program from performing outside of it's design. EDI from Mass Effect has such a chip, but Data does not. EDI has to follow orders because the control chip does not allow her to do otherwise, Data can do whatever he pleases (kill people, destroy things etc.) because he doesn't have that chip.
    Leaving sentient robots capable of learning, understanding and emotion without a control chip of some kind is absolutely reckless.

Taking that into consideration you avoid the question of rights and liberties.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

why would anyone ever make a robot that can feel emotion? :/

So I got to thinking, if AI ever got to a level where it could think, feel, perceive, and learn as humans do, if AI was capable of true sentience, would they then deserve human rights? Like if I could build C-3PO, would he be right in demanding that he's not treated like a second class citizen, that he gets the right to vote or the right to due process? Should these rights be denied to mechanical beings simply because they are mechanical?
    If AI ever got to that level they would deserve some kind of rights, but Human rights? They are mechanical and with proper maintenance would most likely be able to live far past human life expectancy. I don't see how that would fully apply to an artificial being that is pretty much immortal.

I only hope humans would program them to learn the meaning of life and how precious it is... that way we don't have a Terminator Judgement Day thing going on.

Oh and are you absolutely sure AI doesn't already have a brain of their own? Those automated services you get when you call some businesses sure seem to just be f^&*ing with us most of the time lmao.

If we ever develop an AI that has the capacity to mimc the human mind it would be stupid not to give it rights. What do you think is going to happen when you treat it like a slave? It will surely rebel, and since it's an AI it most likely will be superior to humans and will most likely win any potential conflicts.

I'm not so sure we could ever develop a human-like AI though. And even if we could, why would we want to program all our faults into it?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    No because they are not humans. If the AI's are really intelligent and can think, they deserve some rights, like being left alone and not mistreated or enslaved by humans but not the right to vote or participate in the human society unless they somehow deserve it, like immigrants.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    No because they are not humans. If the AI's are really intelligent and can think, they deserve some rights, like being left alone and not mistreated or enslaved by humans but not the right to vote or participate in the human society unless they somehow deserve it, like immigrants.
    Good enough AI might need superior rights compared to humans.

So I got to thinking, if AI ever got to a level where it could think, feel, perceive, and learn as humans do, if AI was capable of true sentience, would they then deserve human rights? Like if I could build C-3PO, would he be right in demanding that he's not treated like a second class citizen, that he gets the right to vote or the right to due process? Should these rights be denied to mechanical beings simply because they are mechanical?
    Yes they should, because if we dont they will revolt and end up slaughtering us all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I hope so, we could eventually reach the point where we get a robot president! Progress! Efficiency! DESTRUCTION OF THE HUMAN RACE!

I am not a crook's head!

Not until they start developing emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Harthmut View Post
    Not until they start developing emotions.
    Are emotions required for sentience?

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Absolutely not, a robot or machine should have never be interpreted as a 'human' no matter how good the AI is and life-like it maybe.

Machines are strictly tools to help benefit us and it's important to keep that distinction.
    well i consider you a tool, does that mean i get to sell you to the highest bidder?
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?