Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Althought it is just a game, Mass Effect 3 has touched this topic excellently (Geth and Quarains). I believe that if the AI is sentient then Yes it should have 'human' rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    In my opinion, any who says a sentient being that is mechanical and not biological shouldn't deserve "human" rights is incredibly naive. If a being can think for itself, can act by itself and can understand things on the same level as a human, yet is of a different material make-up, it/he/she still deserves rights just any thing else should. Unfortunately it's pretty much garunteed that in many places if not everywhere they wouldn't. People would be incredibly afraid of a being like this, which in turn, not only denies it rights, but also alienates it further. Shame, since imo sentient AI is the future, it can't not be. Species evolve and adapt. Extremely advanced AI will be able to do the same, but better.

Hypothetically? No of course not! We still can't allow equal rights to all humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldaveritas View Post
    Some of you guys think it's a clear cut answer without hesitation, but that may due to your inability to perceive what's coming in the not-too-distant future, or getting bogged down in semantics.

The human brain will be completely mapped and reconstructed in robotic form within the next 3 decades. Prior to that human augmentation will have become more commonplace, including nanites being injected into the bloodstream to combat disease. We will further progress towards the technological singularity where, much like the matrix, our consciousness can be uploaded into a server/machine somewhere. Once this happens there will be a blurring of where your humanity begins and ends.

I would guess that before we have to fully address the AI rights issue, we will be confronted with societal human/augmented human discrimination. That ruling would probably grant a better framework to the AI rights issue because it will give people the ability to look at it from a human-hybrid issue rather than just sentient machines. If you think what I'm talking about is all nonsense you should probably check out the documentary Transcendent Man on Ray Kurzweil. It's streamable on Netflix and it's got some interesting points on this subject matter.
    My argument, and my answer, stems from my perception of human life. What makes us different than an advanced AI that can contemplate its own existence at the same level we do? If we would refuse to give them rights, then we certainly wouldn't give them to other sentient species, and at that point we find ourselves akin to the pro-humanity movement in the Mass Effect series, viewing other sentient beings as inferior, with the only reason being that they are not human. It's no different than saying that a man of different skin color is inferior merely because he's not like you.

Also, if I had a Netflix subscription I would totally watch that, but alas, I do not.

IMO no because they shouldn't be programmed that far in the first place.

Futurama should NOT be what our planet (or rather universe in their case) looks like in 988 years or so.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffedtreats View Post
    Hypothetically? No of course not! We still can't allow equal rights to all humans.
    I think most people can agree that all humans deserve equal rights. Or did you really mean that you don't think all humans deserve the same rights?
    Resurrected Holy Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Althought it is just a game, Mass Effect 3 has touched this topic excellently (Geth and Quarains). I believe that if the AI is sentient then Yes it should have 'human' rights.
    I would say that the entire Mass Effect series is about organics vs. synthetics. The Quarian/Geth conflict illustrates well what happens when machines develop sapience but are still treated like slaves by their creators, though. IIRC, the entire conflict starts when Legion asks a Quarian "Does this unit have a soul?".
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    So what useful thing do we have to do for our planet? Sing together in the woods, naked while enjoying some fine shrooms?

I blame Avatar for all this emo-shit on MMO as if we're some kind of plague that will destroy the universe. What pessimistic lives some people here must have.
    The problem is people dont realise what happens after avatar, from space... pew pew pew.

If the AI has 3 laws its a tool a machine we do not treat it equally, if your toaster started talking would but burned your toast would you never throw it out? for a more efficient toaster?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post
    Maybe...

Be kind of fucked up if AI was given human rights before some humans were given it though...
    in the year 2083, Gays will still not have the right to marry or adopt, but robots will!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    Th
    If the AI has 3 laws its a tool a machine we do not treat it equally, if your toaster started talking would but burned your toast would you never throw it out? for a more efficient toaster?
    Depends on what the toaster had to say. If it was an interesting toaster, I'd keep it.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

No. They do not. If they are given rights, what's to stop them for realizing that we are bad. With the Internet's knowledge they will realize that humans are a plague on earth, and need to be annihilated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobywongg View Post
    No. They do not. If they are given rights, what's to stop them for realizing that we are bad. With the Internet's knowledge they will realize that humans are a plague on earth, and need to be annihilated.
    Because we're not?

Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    The problem is people dont realise what happens after avatar, from space... pew pew pew.

I would like to point you to the laws that man abides by.

Yes we are, if we are able to create AI that intelligent they will realize that we are destroying the earth, and many other things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobywongg View Post
    Yes we are, if we are able to create AI that intelligent they will realize that we are destroying the earth, and many other things.
    But we're not destroying the planet. We are physically incapable of doing so. If they were that intelligent they would realize that, if we were ruining the environment, we would wipe ourselves out.

Well if they could vote, they could mass produce themselves then win any vote they wanted to..

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so. I'd really hate to have to buy a sex robot dinner before I use it. Kinda defeats the purpose.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Really if we ever create a true strong AI with emotions etc. We will HAVE to give them the same rights. Any men would rebel if they didn't have such rights and it happened a lot of times already. Such and AI will do the same. Problem is, an AI could connect to the network we use, screw us up. They wouldn't be some stupid rebels with guns etc. like in movies. They'd simply take over every kind of electronics to enslave us etc. Also they are AI's they'd probably be able to become more and more advanced by themselves ONLY. They won't be dumb to wish to eradicate humans or something. I think they'd enslave us and teach us life Anyway I'd prefer to be governed by some real AI anyway than corrupt politicians always arguing for money. Think about it, an AI would have emotions but would be more advanced to understand that systems with have now are bad. They could improve our lives in a lot of ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lymph View Post
    Well if they could vote, they could mass produce themselves then win any vote they wanted to..
    You're assuming we have infinite resources. And having the same rights we do would mean they have to abide by the same laws we do.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxdAWrsag8 Need to watch the entire thing to understand the reasoning3

Seriously, gives you shivers... Human rights? Sure we came up with it, robots can do the same in time (:

Someone has been nice to his Geth on ME3 ;P

But, to be honest, if humans were able to create actual artificial intelligence, with the ability to imitate feelings and individual personalities, then we would have no option and would have to give them rights, maybe not "human" rights, but "sentient" rights.

On the other hand, almost EVERY book, story, plot or piece of art written about us creating advanced AIs ends in war, destruction or slavery. I doubt humans would take that risk.

Sadly, you live in a world where not every human has "human rights", and where many people openly desire said rights revoked from others because of racial or religious reasons, so what chances has a highly logical computer with the ability to feel, in a world where people get murdered daily for not believing in fairies?