Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Build Log] Adappy's adventures in water cooling *finished!*

So I finally caught the water cooling bug, and after about a month of planning, preparing, and ordering parts... I started assembly today.

Here's the component list:

Computer parts:
    Case = Cooler Master CM690II Advanced (modified to fit a thick radiator in the top of the case)
    Mobo = ASUS P8P67 Pro
    CPU = i5 2500k
    RAM = 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X series 1600Mhz 1.35V
    GPU = Gigabyte GTX680 (reference)
    SSDs = 64GB Crucial M4 (OS) + 180GB Mushkin Chronos Enhanced (Games)
    HDDs = 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (one for data storage, one for Fraps recordings)
    PSU = Corsair HX650W
    Sound card = ASUS Xonar DX

Cooling equipment:
    XSPC Rasa 750 RX240 kit + RX240 (two radiators total) + EK GTX680 waterblock. Radiator Fans = Arctic Cooling F12 PWM

Pre-shot (taking everything out of my Define XL):

Starting the assembly:

The CM690II is only designed to have a thin 240mm radiator mounted to the top, so making the thicker RX series one fit is requiring a bit of planning/modifications. I was originally planning on mounting the radiator internally with some different mounting holes drilled, but it's looking more and more like that won't work. The plan now is to mount the radiator on top of the frame of the case, with a hole cut out of the top mesh/plastic cover so the radiator can stick out exposed.

--end of the day update--
    Got the top plastic cover cut to fit the radiator.

Note: the radiator ports will be pointing down when I'm done. The chassis needs to be cut back a bit to allow access to the ports.

--Update: CINCO DE MAYO!-- Case frame modification complete, water loop installed and leak testing started.

--Update: build almost finished--

--Finished build-- (redid the tubing)

Loop order = res/pump -> CPU -> top rad -> GPU -> bottom rad -> res/pump
    Last edited by Adappy; 2012-05-08 at 08:51 PM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looking good so far.

nice! i can't wait til this fall when i'm gonna dip my feet into water cooling i got a haf x case last month and love it

Looking good so far.

ty everyone. I got the water loop installed, and I'm leak testing it as I type this. I'm still working on getting the top cover for the case looking good (got some weatherstripping I'm putting on the rough edges that I cut out)

(for those curious, the loop order goes res/pump -> CPU block -> bottom 240 rad -> GPU block -> top 240 rad -> res)
    Last edited by Adappy; 2012-05-06 at 02:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dang, if only you had the USB 3.0 Panel for it Looks good though!
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Hm, I didn't even know they made that for the CM690II. I got one of these to give me USB 3.0 on the front of the case. It also has mounting space for 2 SSDs, which I also needed, so that kills two birds with one stone.

Yeah, newest case revision apparently adds the USB 3.0 as I understand.

---------- Post added 2012-05-06 at 03:19 PM ----------

Neat idea with the USB 3.0 panel you found tho.

Deleted
    Looks great, I don't really fancy the crossing and the amount of tubing though. Also not sure if you mentioned it, but are you going to be using some coloured koolant or LEDs or anything to make it stand out or are you just going with the "pure water" look? Very interesting, I wish that I had the money to do some modding, but luckily I get to build a computer for a friend soonish!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Woohoo! Nice job so far man!!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Leak testing's done... now comes the "fun" part -.-

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Woooo! Cable management time! Enjoy! ;D
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    What's the reasoning behind all the crossed tubing? The conventional method is to make the shortest runs possible unless you are running separate loops or a serial loop with two pumps spaced out between components.

Like in your case it would be res/pump->CPU->toprad->GPU->bottomrad->res

No reasoning, that's just how it turned out

I thought about doing it the way you mentioned, but the tube coming out of the bottom rad to the reservoir would have either gotten kinked by the bottom of the 5.25" bays or would be resting up against the corner of the graphics card (I highly doubt it would poke a hole in the tubing, but I didn't want to risk it), so I went with the way I routed it. Also, the tubes going to and from the res/pump needed a little extra play in them so I can pull the res/pump out about an inch or so to get to the fill port.

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 02:54 PM ----------

Update: got the top panel completed. Now all I have to do is wire up the front panel connections and fire it up

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 03:55 PM ----------

Update again:

Well I got the system running. Everything works, the GPU stays nice and cool (maxes out at 40C, idles at ~25C).... but the CPU shoots up to around 90C immediately when I start Intel Burn Test... so looks like I gotta remount the CPU block -_-
    Last edited by Adappy; 2012-05-07 at 10:20 PM.

Alright got the system all sorted out. Turned out I forgot to remove the protective plastic cover on the base of the CPU block (epic fail, I know >_<). I also redid the tubing to be a little cleaner (I don't have pictures yet as my camera's memory card seems to have just died). Gonna let it run Intel Burn Test for the next hour or so to see where the temperatures stabilize at (they're holding at 67C right now... not bad considering they used to get to 80-85 with my NH-D14 under IBT testing)

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL the plastic cover of all things. What overclock/voltage are you running on your chip again?

Also is that a Lian-Li fan controller?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

4.6GHz@~1.34V (I run without LLC, so the voltage fluctuates a bit). Might see if I can push it a bit higher now that temperatures aren't as much of an issue. Unfortunately EVGA Precision X doesn't have a GPU temperature chart to show what kind of temperatures it gets, but watching the temps while running Heaven benchmark it peaks ~45-50C

...and it's a Sunbeam Rheosmart 6

edit: kay, got pictures of the finished product.
    Last edited by Adappy; 2012-05-08 at 08:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Real nice work dude
    I see you've run into a bit of cable management hell around the area where it's 4 fans + 2 HDD's :P

67c sounds a little warm for a custom loop considering H100 performs around that well (but then, H100 is a 240mm rad + the water is only looping around the CPU). And then there's ambients to consider.

Who cares, 50c peaks on the GPU! Now THAT'S a freaking improvement.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-08 at 08:59 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Thanks

...and yes, "hell" is a good word to describe managing those cables. I eventually gave up being picky about it and said "screw it, I'm water cooling"

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    67C isn't that warm, water is a terrible heat conductor so it's not a magic bullet for lowering temps on a single concentrated heatsource. It's just a way of relocating surface area so you can get more of it at the expense of efficiency.