Deleted

Lightbulb Child slavery and Kony2012

With the recent scandal, the idea of child slavery has been plaguing my mind recently. In the past, young children born to little influence were often forced to work for very little or no money, and it seems this still occurs in certain third world countries. I understand (although obviously disagree with the premise of) this.
    What I was wondering, is whether, with the current economic climate, children who show little engagement in school or skill in mental acuity, should be allowed to leave school early on a "work programme" run by local governments?
    Would it be a step to far? Would it help relieve strain on our funding?

And I guess all in all my main question is, Would I be looked down upon for using my children as coal workers in my family plant, and paying them in breadcrumbs?

-Exco V2

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    With your idea , there would at least be someone at a Jack in the box drive-thru that speaks english!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by enphestid View Post
    With your idea , there would at least be someone at a Jack in the box drive-thru that speaks english!
    My Point exactly...

If the kid is failing because he is refusing to learn make him work in a coal mine. Seems fair. That way kids that are willing to learn stay in school and the kids that refuse to do anything learn a valuable lesson. Win/Win

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    If the kid is failing because he is refusing to learn make him work in a coal mine. Seems fair. That way kids that are willing to learn stay in school and the kids that refuse to do anything learn a valuable lesson. Win/Win
    You sir are a visionary, that deserves recognition in my fourth dictatorship of the internats
    Last edited by mmoc1ebfa35149; 2012-05-05 at 02:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by excovious View Post
    You sir are a visionary, that deserves recognition in my fourth dictatorship of the internats
    Hah! Seriously though, in my opinion, people that don't want to learn should have the choice of receiving a GED and learning a tradeskill or some such.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

We should just make the education system better so it fits all types of learning styles. The school system is very out dated and needs a big overhaul. Making kids do hard labor is just insane and something people would have done a thousand years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    No offence, but children arnt suited to make life changing decisions. You cant ask someone at the age of 12 that hates math "Do you want to go to school?".
    In Finland we have an educational system that makes people "obliged to learn". Sure that might for some people be on the edge of stepping on free will, but a 12 year old doesnt care about how the big world works. He cares about his PS3 and skateboarding, so, he needs a push.
    The finnish educational system for me seems like a really good way of making it work. Getting a person through all the mandatory school years costs half as in the US and the percent dropping out is 0.2%. Not to talk about the quality of education is in the global top 5.
    I just think that education needs to be controlled since its such an enormously important part in a persons life

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    We should just make the education system better so it fits all types of learning styles. The school system is very out dated and needs a big overhaul. Making kids do hard labor is just insane and something people would have done a thousand years ago.
    Yeah, I think this would be a better idea than putting kids in coal mines. Find out why kids aren't working for school, or why they have trouble understanding the material, and work from there to improve the education system.

And if you are putting kids to work (horrible idea), at least have the decency to pay them decently.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I think it's normal for little kids to not like being in school, who would really want to be cramped up in a building for 8 hours a day when you could be outside playing? I think it's bad to try to determine if a kid will be a good student later on based on their wanting to be in school. In the US your grades up until highschool don't even really matter that much, since colleges only really look at your highschool transcript.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by enphestid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by excovious View Post
    My Point exactly...
    And both point's are moot if when you go to a "Jack in the box" drive through, or any drive through that after placing your order they can not understand the till system so when you place an order you get something totally different to what you ordered and at a different price altogether.

No if a child is having a hard time learning then every effort should be made to get them a basic education. Maybe during this it might be discovered that they excel in one particular area of education, My grandfather for example had real trouble reading or writing, but give him some wood and he could create some beautiful picture frames for the oil based landscape art he created.

Forcing a child into labor simply because they do are having problems learning something would give a workforce that would easily be exploitable. Exploiting a worker is bad enough when it comes to low pay and benefits, but a child with learning difficulties would be even easier to exploit, and without trying to sound condescending to the children in question, would not have the intelligence, or education to know how to be able to do anything about it, as they would not realize they where being exploited.