Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It's all about the schhh round the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuboid View Post
    I He was also the #1 Starcraft 2 player in Europe for a period of time
    actually that was his friend Kiwikaki (who is a SC2 progamer), I think he did it in return for Athene helping him create a table managing program for poker (not 100% sure on this)

Athene is famous for being Athene, a balanced recipe of all things internet, that wether you hate him or love him, you know him. and thats what he's after.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    Cute, Do you know why hes so popular? Because at times hes funny and the reactions of people like you that get a reaction over it

Hes not amazing
    Hes average AT the very most
    He is funny at times well to me mind you.

He says hes the best player in the world / Paladin in the world because It's a slogan It's how it works in reality no hes not the best, It's just the way how his entertainment works.

In short Athene is just entertainment and nothing more. I like the guy and I've been a fan of him for awhile and it really is funny seeing people mad / Reactions to his videos. I mean really he doesn't even really act like all egoistic like that normally; He just does it to make people laugh

That's it
    This + that he does alot of stuff for the youtube community. He is even livestreaming around 6-7 hours for charity trying to reach 1 MILLION DOLLARS$$$ for the hunger crisis on Africa's horn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duden View Post
    Talking about the level 80 exploit, I find it funny how many people that claim this ban was legitimate, still label other exploits as clever use of game mechanics, and this almost definitely was clever use of mechanics. Double standards are fun...

Other than that athene is a decent wow player at best, but his trolling skills are infinite. What still irritates me is how even today many people don't get that the athene character is just a satire to gamers that take games way too seriously, like the OP for example. The person behind athene is different.
    I'm on board with the entire "Athene is just a troll/satirical character" deal, completely. However, does he really need to commentate big WoW events (Vodka Method showdown) as that character? Either that's what he was doing, and deliberately asking silly questions or he simply doesn't know that much about WoW currently. Regardless of which it is, I think it was a bad idea putting him as the commentator of the raid match.

10+ Year Old Account
    .............Athene who? (points at lothemar theron)

Guy is nothing else than a exploiter and he says it loud and he whisels on blizzard rules. Wich generates fans .
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    He's a superstar in his own eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy behind the "Athene" personna seems like a pretty cool guy. However, the character he "plays", to me, isn't funny at all. I don't find him funny, I find it mostly stupid. But a lot of people seem to like it, so yeah. It's entertainment, nothing more. You don't really have to like it. But that's what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Deleted
    He is the Kim Kardashian of WoW, famous for being famous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán View Post
    He is the Kim Kardashian of WoW, famous for being famous.
    +1

....10chars

Post a little more constructively please.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2012-05-06 at 04:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignominious View Post
    I'm on board with the entire "Athene is just a troll/satirical character" deal, completely. However, does he really need to commentate big WoW events (Vodka Method showdown) as that character? Either that's what he was doing, and deliberately asking silly questions or he simply doesn't know that much about WoW currently. Regardless of which it is, I think it was a bad idea putting him as the commentator of the raid match.
    I agree that his comments were a bit out of place and unprofessional since im pretty sure he doesn't play pve anymore, however the whole purpose of the DS challenge was to bring attention to his charity project and, awesome as vodka and method are, they agreed to let athene host it on his livestream. It was a huge succes for the charity after all.

Judging from what he is currently doing for the hunger crisis in the horn of africa I am just gonna go ahead and say that he is a pretty awesome human being and instead of other "celebrities" he's doing something worthwile with his fame.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8c6afdde; 2012-05-06 at 04:48 PM.

Deleted
    As far as i know he didnt explot 70-80, they used a method they found and got blizzard to confirm that they could use it, but as the douchebags blizzard is they decided to ban them when they were just half a lvl from 80. And he is famous for being funny, but some people tend to overreact and get mad at him for w/e personal reasons they have

Deleted
    Who's Athene?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Desdonde View Post
    First guy to level 80 via exploit and banned for it.
    First guy to level 85 via having 20-30 people helping him grind the endless spawning nagas
    Probably first guy to level 90 via cheap method X Y or Z

Why do people consider this guy so amazing? I was watching the Vodka vs Method DS competition, and he was so annoying. He knew literally NOTHING about the DS bosses and very little knowledge on all class abilities in general, always interrupting Kina when he was actually explaining something important.

Someone please just explain it to me...
    Because of guys like you.

Seriously, haters are the reason he gets so much attention.

In fact your post alone has probably contributed more to Athene's popularity than any of his personal achievements.

He's famous for the same reason the Kardashians are. Because people love talking about him.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've seen him where he's not the centre of attention and he's a mild-mannered sort of chap. Obviously mostly we see his 'game face' in which he has his tongue firmly in his cheek. Anyone who can't see that has had a sense of humour bypass.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy is an actor, and not a bad one at that. Somewhat ironic considering the whole "best paladin in the world" act wasn't even his idea.

It's all about the image. A controversial image isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to being a gaming personality.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's a good actor and an alright comedian and an average player.
    Howay the lads!

Deleted
    Last edited by mmoc66337a3447; 2016-05-12 at 06:27 AM.

Cause he's creative and entertaining.
    And apparently he's good @ arena.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcD5r...feature=relmfu
    This would be his non-gameface talking.
    Last edited by Strah; 2012-05-06 at 04:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    A controversial image isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to being a gaming personality.
    True, it worked very well for TotalBiscuit too who is frowned upon by many because of his very opinionated videos.

In fact I'd argue being controversial is imperative for standing out in the online world.

Quote Originally Posted by Desdonde View Post
    First guy to level 80 via exploit and banned for it.
    First guy to level 85 via having 20-30 people helping him grind the endless spawning nagas
    Probably first guy to level 90 via cheap method X Y or Z

Why do people consider this guy so amazing? I was watching the Vodka vs Method DS competition, and he was so annoying. He knew literally NOTHING about the DS bosses and very little knowledge on all class abilities in general, always interrupting Kina when he was actually explaining something important.

Someone please just explain it to me...
    If you look at his older videos, that's why. He was the biggest troll in the WoW community, and become popular like that. He isn't popular for his world firsts, hes popular because people find him entertaining. Here are some videos which led to his rise to fame.