Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    At least he is funnier than other WoW ''celebrities''. Like Crendor and Jesse...
    Crendor is a robot and Jesse won't stop talking about the stupidest things.
    You really think Athene is funnier than Jesse and Crendor?

People sure are different.

Guessing that most of you haven't seen this. Regardless of what you say this is undeniable proof that he's a decent human being and has done more for another human being than most of you can say.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    No idea really. All I know about the guy is that he did a very annoying video shortly after Blizzon '11 where he ran around and asked random people about what they thought about the pandaren as a class. I wanted to punch him in the face each time he called them a class. Honestly - if he's played this game for so long, and is "oh so good", then how on earth can he not know the difference between a class and a race I wonder.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    There's a lot of suckers in this game, that's the only explanation I can think of.

Celebrity worship comes in many forms; see realm/world 1st guild for more examples

Back in tbc he had this video of him and his friend teaching a girl how to be a resto druid in real life. That was one of the most retarded yet hillarous thing on the internet at the time if you played arena. Travel form out of hamstring! I dont keep up with any wow celebrity, but that video was brilliant.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2012-05-06 at 05:08 PM.

Same reason that any Video Blogger is a "superstar", they got noticed at the right place and time

Chiren is an entertainer. Most people who've played WoW at a high level know that he's just a win trading idiot that bought Glad. Everyone else thinks he's actually as good as he pretends to be, or finds him entertaining

He actually is a pretty funny guy. If you watch any of the stuff with him and that blonde guy, that's NOT related to WoW, you might find him quite amusing. People here (including myself) will always think less of him, because he regularly demonstrates a complete lack of credibility when it comes to WoW, which he uses the popularity of, to boost his own
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

I dont get it aswell. I couldnt care less for 'internet video game super stars', really. My friends are all "look that guy from X guild"... "look that X guy"... while I dont give two shits about it.

It's the new age of entertainment, in which people with no skills, abilities or anything innovative are worshiped for being mediocre because of a random event which creates recognition.
    Welcome to 2000-and-late's idea of fame.

Some years ago, you had to murder a famous musician for half the recognition...

Athene, a brief and incomplete history:

Athene (real name: Chirem Boumaaza) first became known from a post on the official declaring himself to be the best paladin in world and denouncing all others around him. This forum thread, as expected, exploded from rage by the troll which was later followed by a video:

And his mark in WoW history was made.

He later followed this with a series of clips, showing his home life and gaming life. Several spin off characters including Furious (currently still making videos under the YouTube user name OGFurious), Mommy (his mum), Abraham, his brother (name eludes me now) and most recently the unofficial character of Obscene (brother of Athene and worst gamer in the world).

He later quit WoW and started working on other projects, most notably poker, where he managed to obtain Supernova Elite making hundreds of thousands of dollars in a year. He did this, not through amazing win rates, but by discipline and playing many, many, many small bet tables at once.

He later stopped poker and stopped making videos regularly for a very long time. Until one day, a video was released which detailed the mystery to why he had vanished, it turned out that had been spending a huge amount of his time doing scientific research. A documentary was being filmed and was going to be released detailing what he had been doing exactly and would mark his return to video making as a whole

He made his official return to WoW during the whole Swifty incident and levelled together with him to from 1-85 streaming the majority of the events. The popularity of this is probably the reason why most of his work goes through streaming now and not through YouTube as before.

During the whole SOPA/PIPA internet storm, Athene used his popularity to garner a stream with over 12k people to work to try and get senators to revoke the bill. It worked. During the event, several direct responses to Athene from senators were given and many of them, due to the public outcry he caused, publicly changed their stance on the bills.

A few weeks ago, he started Operation Sharecraft - A project with the aim to raise $1,000,000 in 100 days for Save the Children who are currently working in the horn of Africa to help with a devastating hunger crisis at the moment. Currently sitting at over $500,000 with 59 days to go, Chiren at his team livestream almost every single day for long hours trying to drum up support for the cause.

In real life, Chiren is a hard working activist for freedom of speech and particularly net neutrality. The Athene character is just a tool to garner interest and has been working exceptionally well for nearly 5 years now.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Desdonde View Post
    First guy to level 80 via exploit and banned for it.
    First guy to level 85 via having 20-30 people helping him grind the endless spawning nagas
    Probably first guy to level 90 via cheap method X Y or Z

Why do people consider this guy so amazing? I was watching the Vodka vs Method DS competition, and he was so annoying. He knew literally NOTHING about the DS bosses and very little knowledge on all class abilities in general, always interrupting Kina when he was actually explaining something important.

Someone please just explain it to me...
    He is best in the world to figure out fastest leveling methods available. Also, his PvP achievements makes him better than 99% of WoW community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desdonde View Post
    First guy to level 80 via exploit and banned for it.
    First guy to level 85 via having 20-30 people helping him grind the endless spawning nagas
    Probably first guy to level 90 via cheap method X Y or Z

Why do people consider this guy so amazing? I was watching the Vodka vs Method DS competition, and he was so annoying. He knew literally NOTHING about the DS bosses and very little knowledge on all class abilities in general, always interrupting Kina when he was actually explaining something important.

Someone please just explain it to me...
    It's his personality, and the outrageous character of Athene. It has little to do with him being world first level 85.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least he is funnier than other WoW ''celebrities''. Like Crendor and Jesse...

Don't you talk about Crendor like that.
    "My redemption, lies in your demise" - Randy Blythe, Vocalist of Lamb of God.

He is? last time i checked he was tripping balls and just trolling about bieng good

I don't want to sound rude but your question is kind of dumb.

You - entertain yourself by playing games
    He - entertains people by playing games

Deleted
    He's not, he's an idiot. I actually pity the people who worship him.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny how opinions can be so different, because I don't think Athene is that funny, while Crendor and Jesse can actually be quite hilarious.

Its more about his arena play in BC. But yeah hes an average paladin at best now. He tried to come back like 4-5 months ago and failed at getting glad again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogarr View Post

Guessing that most of you haven't seen this. Regardless of what you say this is undeniable proof that he's a decent human being and has done more for another human being than most of you can say.
    If you're talking about helping some organizations that try making the world a better place by telling his subscribers to donate, sure. Though, I don't remember him doing anything that extraordinary outside of that that would make me feel like I have contributed less to my fellow man than him.

Okay let's see...
    1. He was a famous poker stars player.
    2. He got rank 1 in 2's,3's and 5's becoming the World's best Paladin DURING THAT TIME (not saying he still is)
    3. He got multiple world firsts in leveling.
    4. He went on a hunger strike to raise awareness around the worst hunger crisis in sixty years in Horn of Africa (http://opsharecraft.com) with goal of 1 million dollars in 100 days, currently he raised 522,738$ in 41 days.
    5. He's smart, you need to look past his "Athene" persona and watch the stream to see that side of his.
    I think this pretty much sums it up, but ofc neither me nor anyone else can convince the haters to stop hating on him, not everyone enjoys what he's doing

I don't see him as a big deal, but it was pretty funny the way he reacted to minecraft. Kidding or not, it was hilarious.

Never change, you noob-owning nutcase
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.