Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    lols @ master baiter

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    There is no way they will get away with having an NPC named Master Baiter.
    Gotta love blizzard and their hypocritical naming.

These PC builds are retarded, why would you go over 550w with these builds? Even with the i7 3770k (overclocked to 4.5ghz), a GTX 560ti, SSD, 7200rpm HDD, an extra PCI slot, 4 fans, and two ipods charging via USB, you only need 441watts...

Yet you recommend a 750w power supply for that unicorn build? What a joke.

I HIGHLY suggest getting this power supply for any of the above mentioned builds:
    http://www.amazon.com/Antec-BP550-Pl...6423689&sr=1-1

It's modular, very affordable, and more than sufficient until you go SLI or use multiple physical CPUs (neither of which are recommended unless you are at top-of-the-line technology already).

Also as personal preference I recommend the MSI motherboards for their new BIOS and the driver update utility which actually works well. I would highly suggest you do NOT buy the gigabyte motherboard. I've had terrible experience with gigabyte motherboards causing BSODs, even when replacing all other hardware. They may have fixed the issue now, but I will never trust them again.

I built something basically identical to the current Narwhal (different CPU) back in December. Definitely don't need a CPU cooler that expensive, especially if you're not overclocking. Even if you are, the CM 212+ is a lot cheaper and gives really good temperature results for reasonable overclocks.

@RadGH

The reason to go with 750W is for clean power.

Utilizing a PS above 80% can cause issues. These issues would be heat related, relating to the cleanliness of the signal and the longevity of the PS itself.

Moreover, at 441, you're at over 75% which means you're effectively maxed on a PS if you go with a 550W PS.

One of the major points of enjoyment of having a BYOB is being able to add pieces as one sees fit. If someone finds the funds, chooses to go SLI or a company brings a high current new graphic technology to market, the BYOB gamer has the option to swap pieces and enjoy it.

I do agree that gamers need to smartly search for Power Supplies that meet their needs. That said, I hardly think "these PC builds are retarded" because they allow for additional power overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    That.. that's all you have to say? What part is wrong? Do you have any arguments? It seems like you skipped every argument I made, (missed the winking smiley) and commented only on the joke.

So, want to discuss the pros and cons of self build computers further, or do you have nothing left but insults?
    You jumped to so many conclusions and insults you are not worth trying to fight since you can't see any reason to comment other then to insult people directly. I made a general statement about society that can't be proven wrong or right yet you made a personal assumption which I know to be factually wrong.

You don't seem to be much for reason so it's not worth it. You just get in a huff because you took a general thing to be personally insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    Do you not see how this is dripping with irony? You seem to think that to own a custom-built PC you have to live your basement. Nice conclusion to reach there pal.

Now it's my turn to jump to a conclusion - either you've never built your own PC, or you tried it and made a pig's ear of it. There's no other explanation as to why you think it's "not worth it". Either way, you don't know what you're talking about.

You're wrong, you have been shown to be wrong by several people - give it up now without resorting to personal insults.
    You made the exact same stupid conclusions and personally directed them so you have not furthered your case. "Proven wrong by several people" you couldn't even read the post i reponed to to realize you make the same conclusions, how can I expect you to know that I have been "proven" wrong?

Have theses people who proven me wrong went in a one-on-one head on competion of computers with mine? Have they proven that they are world class interesting outdoors people who don't soup up computers for no other reasons then to say they have increased things by a useless amount of fps? I know MY store bought laptop can run almost every game I find on high, and I havn't been shown that all these souped up computers are different (no one on this thread has been shown that)

If I hit on some sort of personal nerve to you two I guess I'm sorry but you should really get over it and realize computers are great when not built and that the set-ups of the month on these websites are useless and in my opinion boring nonsense of useless endeavors.
    Last edited by Argroth; 2012-05-07 at 11:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigrot View Post
    BC "forced" me to level fishing for the crocs, Wrath forced me for the rat and the coins, looks like this is what makes me fish in panda because:

dat mount (When I saw the striders in KW I always though they would be a neat mount)
    dat pet
    dat raft
    dos names
    You could get the crocs in BC with lvl 1 fishing dude

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzic518 View Post
    You could get the crocs in BC with lvl 1 fishing dude
    Judging by how long it takes me to do that daily...well, yesterday, my Druid with level 1 fishing had level 30 fishing by the time I caught the damn Croc. I think that's what they mean- it 'forces' you to level, because you just gain skill-ups while you try to do it, unless you're lucky.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    With regards to the building a computer poll.

I chose not to because it was a better deal for me to not build my own. I have a fully-functional desktop sitting at home (which is next to never used) that I played WoW on just fine for years. No heat problems, no RAM issues, even after 2 years (it's a Dell). I decided all I had to do was add some extra memory (to be safe) and a new GPU.

Total of upgrading my existing Dell - $100

Total of building a new computer - $900
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by siahpoosh View Post
    why dont you never put amd on narwhal and unicorn? their setup is always with intel cpu
    There is nothing from AMD worth buying over the very low end. They do a great job with Llano though and the little we know about Trinity makes it look like a nice upgrade for that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibsgaard View Post
    Same. We need this option in the poll =)
    I appreciate that it is a possible reason, but it wasn't really one I was interested in this time around. The purpose of the second poll was to see which part of the building process people perceived as most difficult or undesirable.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    I chose not to because it was a better deal for me to not build my own. I have a fully-functional desktop sitting at home (which is next to never used) that I played WoW on just fine for years. No heat problems, no RAM issues, even after 2 years (it's a Dell). I decided all I had to do was add some extra memory (to be safe) and a new GPU.

Total of upgrading my existing Dell - $100
    What GPU and RAM did you find that cost less than $100 together and were worth purchasing?

10+ Year Old Account
    FYI the Asus HD7850 was discontinued, as the fan and heatsink are bigger than the actual card, so they stopped producing it and are re-designing it.
    Better to go with the Gigabyte HD7850, you get it overclocked and it's cheaper, even with out the option of voltage tweaking, it works out better/cheaper.

---------- Post added 2012-05-08 at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    I don't build my own car, I don't grow my own corn, I don't program my own computer games.
    I don't build my own computer, I much rather have a factory do it for me, and spend my time actually using it instead.

Just my take.
    Cheaper to buy the parts and just pay for labour or do it yourself tbh. I work in a PC shop, we make double if not triple the cost price when we make PCs

I recently built a computer around the same area as the Unicorn build, and tbh I think the posted build could have done with some more research. There is really no need for a WD Black drive over a Blue or a Seagate Barracuda, they produce too much heat and noise and the speed isn't really noticeable. I actually have one in my computer atm from my old machine and it benchmarks at the same level as my Samsung Spinpoint F1 which is older.

The OCZ Vertex 3 drive recommendation is one I would personally be taking down asap, these are knows to have dodgy Sandforce controllers and can be rather unstable. The Intel 520 series drive is amazing, and if people really need a second recommendation they should be looking at a Crucial M4, which are praised on every computer internet forum I know.

The PSU from the Narwhal build should be the one recommended for the Unicorn build instead, 750W for that system just isn't required unless the person is going to be going SLI or Crossfire some time soon. Lastly, the CPU cooler mentioned is the same one I have in my current system, and while I agree it's an amazing cooler, unless you're overclock past 4.5Ghz there really isn't any need for it, a CM Evo 212 would be a much more suitable cooler for this build.

Keep in mind that these are my opinions, the reason I am actually voicing them is because they are backed up quite strongly be hundreds of thousands of users all over the internet. Essentially there is nothing wrong with the builds, but there are a lot of people that will possibly build a PC on this recommendation, so I see it as important that they are building the best one possible for their dollar. Maybe some more research in the future, there is a reason that certain components are popular in hardware enthusiasts world, http://overclock.net would probably be a good place to start, also the Desktop forum over at http://forums.whirlpool.net.au.

Deleted
    In the second poll the answer about the warranty is completely invalid. The warranty you get for Each of the parts is much longer (in some cases lifetime) than the one you get from a ready-to-ship pc.

It should be replaced by: I hate clipping the fan on the cpu cooler.

My Own Build

Those are nice, but I recently upgraded my computer from the following:

I had:

M4A79T-Deluxe
    AMD Phenom II 965 x4 3.4ghz black edition
    8 GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 1333 mhz (overclocked to 1600)
    CM Storm Scout Case
    PSU Antec 750w power supply
    Logitech G500 Mouse
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech X-540 5.1 Sound System
    Logitech G330 Headset
    Acer H243H 24" Monitor with speakers
    Razer Destructer Mouse Pad
    ATI Radeon HD 6950 2 GB Video Card

I upgraded for $1200 to:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core (overclocked to 3.6 ghz and soon to 4.0 Ghz when i get liquid cooling)
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    XION AXP-850K14XE 850W ATX SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80+ Bronze Modular Power Supply
    COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    Acer S271HLbid Black 27" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor

My new system is looking pretty stable so far, even though I had trouble flashing my BIOS on the sabertooth (apparently I am not the only one, according to different tech forums). Memory is stable, and I am very impressed with Mushkin's Blackline. The Storm Series Trooper has excellent airflow, and overnight my CPU temps got as low as 15C. Playing BF3 on max graphics and Tera Online with max graphics only put me to 58C. Very impressed so far.

I don't think its worth it to go to a SSD unless you have more than 700GB out of 1 TB on the hard-drive that you have windows installed on to. I have never had problems with my 2 1 TB WD Green Caviar drives, and everything loads superb. I guess for those who are willing to spend an extra 4-800 dollars for only 200-500GB SSD's, you are certainly welcome to.

It really doesn't cost that much to upgrade to the latest and best. I would have gone for the ASUS Crosshair V, but I was not a fan of how it was set up, and the sabertooth looked more effeciently built (plus I really like the UEFI BIOS)

Arrowhead