Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    This was immediately where I realized this was a Scandinavian creature of horror...then I saw the post count and my theory was reaffirmed. Oh well, time to log on and fully enjoy my dying game. (Lol)
    Uh...don't know much about Scandinavia, never been there. Also, just because I haven't posted before - I suppose that means I am an idiot for having a life then? However, I HAVE been to the SWTOR universe, and I seem to remember this being a long running argument. Don't get me wrong, like many others I really wanted this game to be good, but it just has fallen flat with many people, and that's something that can only be fixed by creating a totally different game.

I never got a chance to play Galaxies in its heyday, but I did try it out a couple of years before the end. Honestly, there were more players on that server than the ones I tried in SWTOR after the first 30 days. I really think that Galaxies would have been a great game if I had the chance to play it back in the day, but alas......I will never.

I too played WoW like many others here, and I cannot help but notice that the worlds themselves in this game seem very sanitary or something - there is no real ambiance to the levels. It just doesn't fell "alive" like the WoW kingdoms do. I guess I can't put it any better than that, but I suspect that a lot of you understand what I mean when I say this.

Also, someone earlier stated that every new game is the next "WoW killer". True, they ALL are for about a month or two it seems. I would have to say that Rift is probably the most likely at this point, and that's a real long shot at best. (Decent game.....but nothing new.) I for one can't wait for The Secret World, so I can drop $60 to be disappointed yet again.

Perhaps it is the fact that WoW was so.....innovative that it still lives? I know that there is a SERIOUS lack of innovation these days. Nothing compares to the first couple of months of playing WoW. I was amazed, there was so much to it. I just never got that feeling in SWTOR. It felt rushed.

Speaking of which, I find it really odd that so many people say things like, "Just wait until patch XXX.XXX, things will be different!" There is one thing that cannot be overstated: Once you have ran off the subs, they aren't coming back on the whole. Why spend money on a game that has already bored you on the pretense that they suddenly found a way to "fix things?" How about the novel approach of making right in the first place? I know, content gets added over time, but this game has no f--king soul or something.

To be honest, I got this game the first day it come out, and was out of it in less than 60 days. I found that at about level 25 or so, (a reoccurring theme from what I have read) I just stopped logging in. In fact, I just about forgot about the game at points in time.

As for the game being free, well that seems to be the way a lot of these flops go. I know you think that "only" 400,000 losses in this game isn't much, but how many quarters will this go on? I can assure you that EA won't let it go on too long. There comes a point when the company will cut and run. With statements like, "The annual outlook isn't too good either, with revenue expectations missing analysts expectations by more than $400 million. (EA in general, not all SWTOR in all fairness. To give you an idea: The shares are down about 9.5% in after hours trading. That means EA is suddenly worth almost 10% less as a result......in the end - that is what matters to EA. "The game, released in December, had 1.7 million subscribers at the end of the holidays; now, it has 1.3 million, meaning it’s a slow and likely hard slog to compete with Activision’s “World of Warcraft” and its massive base of 10 million subscribers"

A link to the Cliff's notes on WSJ if you care to read......blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2012/05/07/electronic-arts-shares-pounded-on-weak-outlook/

If my past observations of this conversation mean anything, I am sure someone out there will accuse me of being something else, and say that I am an idiot for thinking that the company isn't noticing the massive losses. I am sure someone out there will tell me that EA simply loves Star Wars, and they are willing to keep losing millions because of the die-hard out there.

To be honest, a Start Wars MMO should have been an absolute slam dunk. How in the hell do you mess THAT up?

Considering that TOR is primarily a PvE soloing/leveling content game, it's really no surprise that subs are dropping. They'll probably drop a lot more too depending on whether or not they can pick up the pace to deliver more questing, KOTOR-style content or something else for the more casual playerbase that they attracted.

I said it last year and I will say it again: TOR could be a great 6 month MMO, but it's long-term success will depend on their ability to deliver content after that. So far they have failed, but to be fair they have focused more on delivering more game systems than content.

Quote Originally Posted by Clooney View Post
    The MMO that created more hype than World Peace and the MMO that would destroy WoW and be the next thing to play, is the 2nd largest MMO in the western market(with subs dropping already) in only 5 months running. Great achievement

/sarcasm off

I will agree though with most guys here. This is not the end. You have to wait probably for a few months more if you want to see the end.
    Right, it isn't going to be tomorrow....they will try to milk it for a while. They should talk to Blizzard, those guys got my money for much longer than they should have....

The MMO that created more hype than World Peace and the MMO that would destroy WoW and be the next thing to play, is the 2nd largest MMO in the western market(with subs dropping already) in only 5 months running. Great achievement

/sarcasm off

I will agree though with most guys here. This is not the end. You have to wait probably for a few months more if you want to see the end.
    Yeah, I would say end of year would give us a good picture of where its going to stabilize, if at all. Its a shame really, they couldn't have asked for a better IP. When I was doing the beta and after release, all I could ask myself while playing is "where did the $200 million go?".

/sarcasm off

I would argue that Guild Wars 2 is more hyped than SWTOR is.

But... but I thought that Daniel Erickson said 2 weeks ago that subs hadn't decreased, only "concurrent" players had...

So... does this mean he lied, and that everyone who said subs were decreasing was actually right???

Oh well it doesn't matter because swtor is the bestest MMO evar 1.3 million subscriptions is amazing next week it will kill wow!!111

Infracted
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-05-07 at 11:47 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodchargedWoW View Post
    Actually First Quarter of the year was the end of April, you know how if something is a Quarter there has to be 4 more of them. Nice try though kid.
    Actually, a quarter means one fourth of something, since we're talking about a year, which is 12 months, a simple calculation proves that a quarter is 12 / 4 = 3 months, and not 4. Besides, the word quarter does not say how many. a quarter of a decade would be 2.5 years, according to your logic that wouldn't be correct as it's not 4 or more years. Maybe you should finish highschool before trying to outsmart ppl on the internet. xD

Quote Originally Posted by clockwork71 View Post
    To be honest, a Start Wars MMO should have been an absolute slam dunk. How in the hell do you mess THAT up?
    You underestimate the power of the No.1 Video game Publisher in the World. EA

They can destroy universe's like Star Wars, Warhammer like they were insects. Proven Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreary View Post
    But... but I thought that Daniel Erickson said 2 weeks ago that subs hadn't decreased, only "concurrent" players had...

So... does this mean he lied, and that everyone who said subs were decreasing was actually right???

Oh well it doesn't matter because swtor is the bestest MMO evar 1.3 million subscriptions is amazing next week it will kill wow!!111
    As I said in that very same discussion Erickson probably doesn't have the actual numbers, his 1.7 mil statement was accurate as far as he knew. It doesn't make sense for guys building and designing the game to have those numbers, it's not a substantial part of their job and giving it out freely just leads to leaks. Cool sarcasm though. I wonder how long these forums will be toxic before people give up?

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Considering that TOR is primarily a PvE soloing/leveling content game, it's really no surprise that subs are dropping. They'll probably drop a lot more too depending on whether or not they can pick up the pace to deliver more questing, KOTOR-style content or something else for the more casual playerbase that they attracted.

I said it last year and I will say it again: TOR could be a great 6 month MMO, but it's long-term success will depend on their ability to deliver content after that. So far they have failed, but to be fair they have focused more on delivering more game systems than content.
    I think the main problem with TOR is the engine, very very poor choice there and plagued with performance issues, as well as overall world design. Creating a story driven single player RPG environment and then slapping an MMO label on it apparently doesn't work.

Or SWTOR never had 1.7 million paying subscribers, only 1.7 million players who were forced to subscribe to play their free month.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    As I said in that very same discussion Erickson probably doesn't have the actual numbers, his 1.7 mil statement was accurate as far as he knew. It doesn't make sense for guys building and designing the game to have those numbers, it's not a substantial part of their job and giving it out freely just leads to leaks. Cool sarcasm though. I wonder how long these forums will be toxic before people give up?
    Tony every single time I come to this forum you are here and respond to me within seconds. Do you actually find time to play the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    I think the main problem with TOR is the engine, very very poor choice there and plagued with performance issues, as well as overall world design. Creating a story driven single player RPG environment and then slapping an MMO label on it apparently doesn't work.
    I'm curious have you designed any games with either the hero engine or the heavily retooled version of the swtor engine? It's gonna be a long couple days when all the amateur forum programmers and game designers come out of the wood work to tell us what's up.

Deleted
    And that are numbers after 1.2 came out were people came back and fast left again.Without 1.2 ther would be much less subs...maybe 1 Million only

Deleted
    During the conference call EA said that the decrease in the numbers of subscribers was due to "casual and trial players" cycling out of the game.

Are trial accounts also considered on the total number of subscribers or they meant the 30 days u have when u buy the box?

Tony every single time I come to this forum you are here and respond to me within seconds. Do you actually find time to play the game?
    Alt tabbing is REAL difficult bro. You know I wouldn't have responded if you simply left that last little bit of sarcasm out.

The biggest implication out of this for people on this site is that Blizzard will seemingly continue to dominate MMOs and won't have to try as hard to do it. It's unfortunate for those hoping another game would create some competition.

These numbers are from March 31st right? So this doesn't include Patch 1.2 or the free months? Or am I confused on how QRs work?

Deleted
    I still don't quite understand why it bothers people who don't like/play the game anymore, why can't they just let the people who like the game worry about it?

The game will be fine, 1.3 million is still alot of subs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by trduhon07 View Post
    These numbers are from March 31st right? So this doesn't include Patch 1.2 or the free months? Or am I confused on how QRs work?
    End of April:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...Y12_Script.pdf