10+ Year Old Account

GW2 Wiki updates

So, this is kinda a shout-out to the rest of you in the MMOC community, more-so than for a discussion...

If you guys are 100% positive about something that was changed in BWE1, and the wiki doesn't reflect it, don't be afraid to update it yourself (it's even better to create an account, rather than editing it randomly, so that people can talk to you about edits that don't make sense). It's not too difficult to figure out...
    Or at least it wasn't for me, but I'm used to working with different kinds of computer code.

Example: I recently added Thief condition removals to this page, in addition to updating how many conditions Cleansing Fire removes, and how often Signet of Water's passive pulses.

Before that I updated the Guardian Meditations page to list all the Meditations.
    Unfortunately, it appears somebody removed the two teleport ones after the fact, even though those skills are indeed Meditations, and then apparently created a page to list them as being a completely different type of skill.

So here's something to discuss: are the two "intervention" skills still meditations? Everywhere I've seen lists them as meditations, and thus causes them to be affected by meditation traits.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-08 at 02:33 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Before that I updated the Guardian Meditations page to list all the Meditations.
    Unfortunately, it appears somebody removed the two teleport ones after the fact, even though those skills are indeed Meditations, and then apparently created a page to list them as being a completely different type of skill.

So here's something to discuss: are the two "intervention" skills still meditations? Everywhere I've seen lists them as meditations, and thus causes them to be affected by meditation traits.
    I know that gw2db agrees with you. I also think ANet wouldn't have a trait line that only improved three skills. I'm betting an over-zealous wiki mod had his way with it.

Keep in mind that wikis generally do NOT give you the benefit of the doubt (in spite of claims), unless you adhere to certain criteria. This has held true for every wiki I have ever used.

1- Registered user name. This is to help track changes. Anonymous changes tend to be removed very quickly.
    2- Citations until accepted as knowledge. If people refuse to acknowledge general knowledge, it's a good idea to add sources to it. They may delete those (or you may want to later). However, it forces it to become common knowledge.
    3- Adhere to proper formatting.
    4- Document the changes made (deletions, edits, or insertions).
    5- Sign your posts that are made on talk pages.

Once you become known on the wiki, you don't have list changes and sources nearly as rigorously. However, while you start, you have to prove that you are improving the wiki. Too many people abuse it and this where it always ends.
    "Some flies are too awesome for the wall." - Community

10+ Year Old Account
    ive never bothered to learn how to mess with wiki editing but if anyone could update the stuff in this post under the "facts" section i'd love you forever (dont add the bugs)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post16680384

ill focus on information gathering, someone else make sure it gets posted

or be willing to teach me
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-05-08 at 03:03 AM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Pass, wiki mods are way too over zealous with their jobs. I hate editing wikis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Pass, wiki mods are way too over zealous with their jobs. I hate editing wikis.
    Wouldn't know, never been part of a wiki community before, as this is the first one I actually care about fixing - so far, I have fixed a few things that needed fixing, like correcting tooltips, but it seems some people are debating in that wiki community whether or not Interventions are actually a skill type. I don't think a mod did it, but I think somebody decided they were their own skill type, and since that happened now there has to be a "debate" about it.

Obviously not much of a fuss is being made about it yet, but I certainly seek to get this corrected. ^_^

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 11:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    or be willing to teach me
    Self-teaching is best!

I've already made a lot of changes for Thief stuff, but I don't think I mentioned everything you want.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-08 at 04:22 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't know, never been part of a wiki community before, as this is the first one I actually care about fixing - so far, I have fixed a few things that needed fixing, like correcting tooltips, but it seems some people are debating in that wiki community whether or not Interventions are actually a skill type. I don't think a mod did it, but I think somebody decided they were their own skill type, and since that happened now there has to be a "debate" about it.

Obviously not much of a fuss is being made about it yet, but I certainly seek to get this corrected. ^_^
    its not a skill type if it doesnt have the classification in the skills in game description.

if its not its not a true classification

the classification appears at the beggining of the skill's description, before the effect text

for example, spider venom says this

Venom. Poison foes with your next five attacks.
    if its a group of similar abilities linked either by naming convention or similar skill structure that can be made a point of but it should not but grouped differently in the guardian skills page

that's my take on the situation

specifically to this discussion: they should have their own page that says "hey, these 2 skills are interventions" but they should not be grouped differently anywhere else on the wiki and they should NOT be treated as their own skill type (that is, the link in the "skill types" box should never include the term "intervention". they are both considered "meditation" skills, nothing more, nothing less. they just share a similar naming convention just like wild blow, wild strike, wild throw all did in GW1. all 3 of those skills were typed in game as "attacks" with wild blow and strike futher categorized as "melee attack" and "off hand attack" and wild throw further detailed as "spear attack". there is nowhere in game that groups them as "stance breaking attacks"
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-05-08 at 04:30 AM.
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    its not a skill type if it doesnt have the classification in the skills in game description.

if its not its not a true classification

the classification appears at the beggining of the skill's description, before the effect text

for example, spider venom says this

if its a group of similar abilities linked either by naming convention or similar skill structure that can be made a point of but it should not but grouped differently in the guardian skills page

that's my take on the situation
    That's precisely way I'm trying to get this fixed. The Meditation page confused me for the longest time until I checked the overall skills list for Guardian, and I can see in all trait tools that their tooltips have "Meditation." at the start of the tooltip.

Random question: If Venomous Strength applies Might to allies that gain your venoms, do you think the same is true for the Elementalist trait Elemental Shielding, when they gain your auras?
    Can't be sure now. The wording says YOU gain Protection when applying auras to allies OR yourself (which is weird, I don't think you can apply auras to others without applying them to yourself).
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-08 at 04:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Random question: If Venomous Strength applies Might to allies that gain your venoms, do you think the same is true for the Elementalist trait Elemental Shielding, when they gain your auras?
    do i believe it works that way? based off the evidence and behavior of venomous aura i believe it would

can i confirm this? no. should you make a note of it? not until it gets confirmed
    Can't be sure now. The wording says YOU gain Protection when applying auras to allies OR yourself (which is weird, I don't think you can apply auras to others without applying them to yourself).
    possibilities: every1 gains protection
    only you gain protection
    you gain a "hit" of protection for each aura applied
    you gain a "hit" of protection for each aura applied but the games says "HAHAHAHAH NICE TRY BUT YOU CANT DO THAT"

the wording suggests option 2, but in beta we cant take everything 100% as written. verify first

we can, and should, assume, but never write it down as law until proven
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-05-08 at 04:37 AM.
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no doubt, verify first. I was just curious as to whether or not anybody had tested it, or wondered the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no doubt, verify first. I was just curious as to whether or not anybody had tested it, or wondered the same thing.
    if i pull myself away to make an ele between playing with new thief builds, warrior builds, and the artificer/jeweler crafting skills ill mess with it.

dotn count on that tho

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 11:26 PM ----------

i saw the thieves guild job: clarifications

one thief is a pistol pistol thief, the other is a dagger dagger thief
    the blinding powder effect i figured out, its black powder from the P/P's offhand shot
    the duration i cant confirm
    shouldnt put early estimations on health in the main page for the skill
    The Original Ganksta