Poll: Which order will you join?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    It's probably just a matter of time, and what you actually consider lore-rape. One of the (many) reasons I disliked Nightfall was because I found much of it to be lore-rape-y, I wouldn't expect everyone would agree with me though.
    no idea how nightfall was lore-rape-y....

and @person who said GW1 players would pick priory people, idk what that'd happen, priory (to my knowledge) wasn't really there in GW1, if anything all the GW1 players would side with the order of whispers using some strange "they're familiar with it" logic...

Personally i just think the order of whispers makes the most sense out of them, but that's just me..

---------- Post added 2012-05-08 at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Luckily, one of the two main lore people at Anet is writing the next book. Well, wrote. Pretty sure it's been done for a while, just isn't out yet.
    But yes, the writing in EoD was pretty bad. It's the reason I dislike Rytlock, and the reason that I disliked Zojja until there was a conversation about her in the lore interview I mentioned.
    O.o you guys are very picky with your book "quality" i thought the book was really well done and the characters were described pretty well, and Haimchen the reason you thought logan was so blank IS BECAUSE HE IS!! He's the good little seraph that will follow the queen blindly, that's why so many people hate him!! He's soooooo stupid!! *grabs axe and slams it into Logan Thackery picture on wall* Gwen where did you go so wrong!!

On a side note i thought the charr/human thing was pretty accurate, it was a "We work together or die" sort of thing, they weren't like "Lawlz best friends!!" until like 3/4's of the way through the book, which was several months if not years...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vigil. I R DARGON SLARYAR! Plus Almorra is a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    The vigil. I R DARGON SLARYAR! Plus Almorra is a boss.
    Sure, as long as you're not comparing her to Ember Doomforge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, as long as you're not comparing her to Ember Doomforge.
    Ember is lame. Plus Almorra has a fine taste for wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Ember is lame. Plus Almorra has a fine taste for wine.
    Ember = Charr.
    Almorra = Human with a Charr mask.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post

O.o you guys are very picky with your book "quality" i thought the book was really well done and the characters were described pretty well, and Haimchen the reason you thought logan was so blank IS BECAUSE HE IS!! He's the good little seraph that will follow the queen blindly, that's why so many people hate him!! He's soooooo stupid!! *grabs axe and slams it into Logan Thackery picture on wall* Gwen where did you go so wrong!!
    I don't know I a m picky, but I've read sooo many books in my life, that I know which kind of books I like and which I dislike. I mean rating a book (or anything else) always involves personal taste. So maybe I just need some more details, some room for relationships to evolve and inner conflicts. Other people might prefer different styles, straigth to the action for example.

On Logan: He is very boring and blank, but even if he is meant to be the lawfully good seraph captain, there would have so much room to give him more character. Why is there no inner conflict as he is torn between his loyalities? (his friends and killing a dragon vs. his queen and people)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haimchen View Post
    I don't know I a m picky, but I've read sooo many books in my life, that I know which kind of books I like and which I dislike. I mean rating a book (or anything else) always involves personal taste. So maybe I just need some more details, some room for relationships to evolve and inner conflicts. Other people might prefer different styles, straigth to the action for example.

On Logan: He is very boring and blank, but even if he is meant to be the lawfully good seraph captain, there would have so much room to give him more character. Why is there no inner conflict as he is torn between his loyalities? (his friends and killing a dragon vs. his queen and people)
    Because logan is a prick who clearly values his queen significantly more then his loyalties and should be burned at the stake for such poor choices... I really don't think there is any inner turmoil in there, like he clearly likes the queen more then anyone else since the moment he freaking meets her all he tries to do is impress her and goes to her side every moment he can..

PS: I wouldn't necessarily say he's "blank" seeing as how unlike most humans he likes the charr because he knows how BA they are (maybe not likes but respects them), he's also (imo) pretty thick which may make him seem "boring and blank"
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I think I will go with Order of Whispers... just because I have always liked them.

I think Logan was "mesmered" somehow by Jenna... he was cool until he met her.

10+ Year Old Account

On a side note i thought the charr/human thing was pretty accurate, it was a "We work together or die" sort of thing, they weren't like "Lawlz best friends!!" until like 3/4's of the way through the book, which was several months if not years...
    A lot of people hate Logan because the guy who wrote him in the book wrote him as blank and blindly following the queen...

And yet you defend the writing of the book. >_>;

I'm convinced that if Logan "abandoned" his friends to essentially save humanity from an attack by dragonspawn, he would've done it for the right reasons. It wasn't Divinity's Reach, but it was Ebonhawke, and it's not like humanity can afford to lose any more ground. Even with Logan showing up to help, a good 133 Seraph soldiers still died, iirc, and the results of his actions was peace between charr and humans.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    A lot of people hate Logan because the guy who wrote him in the book wrote him as blank and blindly following the queen...

And yet you defend the writing of the book. >_>;

I'm convinced that if Logan "abandoned" his friends to essentially save humanity from an attack by dragonspawn, he would've done it for the right reasons. It wasn't Divinity's Reach, but it was Ebonhawke, and it's not like humanity can afford to lose any more ground. Even with Logan showing up to help, a good 133 Seraph soldiers still died, iirc, and the results of his actions was peace between charr and humans.
    Do you know what else would have been better than peace between the Charr and Humans? An Elder Dragon's head on a stick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also convinced that however the fight was written, Logan wouldn't have made that choice if he wasn't so crucial to the plan that it would cause a friend to die, nor if he'd believed they would fail without him. Logan shows a little emotion about it in the personal story, when making the choice of whether to go save Quinn or help save the townsfolk, and seems to understand your decision of friend over country, but... it's like a passing extra sentence, so I don't really get to see more into the drama that could be there.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-08 at 06:03 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

no idea how nightfall was lore-rape-y....

and @person who said GW1 players would pick priory people, idk what that'd happen, priory (to my knowledge) wasn't really there in GW1, if anything all the GW1 players would side with the order of whispers using some strange "they're familiar with it" logic...

Personally i just think the order of whispers makes the most sense out of them, but that's just me
    Nightfall retconned the main stories of the previous 2 campaigns to not be interesting but AMG ALL A BIG CONSPIRACY PLOT BY DIS BAD GUY GOD! and many side quests/lore that "built upon" what we knew from the previous campaigns to the point of me going "wtf why..." But yeah people won't agree with me, particularly the ones that didn't play Prophecies at release, and my judgement is probably a bit biased since Nightfall generally disgusted me due to many other factors. Whatever... not worth discussing here... we'll chalk it up to: I hate Nightfall like people on these forums hate Cataclysm.

I agree that it would make the most sense for people who played GW1 to pick Order of Whispers since it's, well, the only one of the three that actually existed during that time.

particularly the ones that didn't play Prophecies at release
    I played through prophecies at release, still liked the story of Nightfall.
    I'm extremely confused as to how you could dislike Nightfall but make no mention if how sub-par Factions was in general, but whatever. Hell, the only good thing out of factions was Rits, Sins, and Flesh Golem. Definitely nothing story related.

And I don't understand why you're surprised that the last of the 3 expansions linked the other two together.. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I always found stories that retconned "NOPE IT WAS ALL A BIG EVIL CONSPIRACY" to be quite dull and boring, tbh. Almost cliche, in fact. There's more interesting ways to do deep plots.

I always found stories that retconned "NOPE IT WAS ALL A BIG EVIL CONSPIRACY" to be quite dull and boring, tbh. Almost cliche, in fact. There's more interesting ways to do deep plots.
    Didn't say it wasn't, but it shouldn't be the main reason of an expansion being your least favorite. Something like: Factions was a rushed expansion with sub-par textures and environments and an extremely bland storyline in general.. not: Abbadon controlled Shiro and The Lich.
    Just reminds me of all of the people who said Mass Effect 3 was a crap game and rated it a 0 out of 10 because they didn't like the last 5minutes of it.

That's exactly what it is for me, the story made everything about the game so boring and 1-dimensional. It answered questions that didn't need answering. Oh... so all my hard work becoming the hero at the end of this long engrossing story not once but TWICE was just to foil the pawns of this incredibly boring big bad. The Lich and Shiro were awesome, Abaddon by comparison is boring as fuck. Oh, but hey, those pretty cool guys actually don't mean shit in retrospect because it was all according to Abaddon's MASTER PLAN OF PURE EVIL MWAHAHAHAHA. Don't get me started on Kormir... I want the option to deface every statue/homage/minor allusion to her in Tyria.

Didn't say it wasn't, but it shouldn't be the main reason of an expansion being your least favorite. Something like: Factions was a rushed expansion with sub-par textures and environments and an extremely bland storyline in general.. not: Abbadon controlled Shiro and The Lich.
    Just reminds me of all of the people who said Mass Effect 3 was a crap game and rated it a 0 out of 10 because they didn't like the last 5minutes of it.
    That's why I started with "one (of many) reasons why" and said I didn't want to get into it... now I'm trying to stop myself before my long-subdued Nightfall rage comes out completely. I have a laundry list of issues with that campaign, how the story affected the previous campaigns that I enjoyed was just the icing on the cake. It was just semi-on topic discussing the lore of the Order of Whispers, now I've gone full off-topic.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-05-08 at 06:25 PM.

It depends on the race I choose for my thief. If I am a Human I am going to join the Durmand Priory, If I am Sylvari I am joining the Vigil. The Order of Whispers feels too cliche for a Thief. I like the idea of searching ancient ruins for treasures and tomes that can be used to kill the dragons.

My Ranger will be in the Order of Whispers though.

I agree that it would make the most sense for people who played GW1 to pick Order of Whispers since it's, well, the only one of the three that actually existed during that time.
    That's a pretty full-of-yourself statement. The Order of Whispers may have existed that long, but your character hasn't, just like the Freemasons being around as long as they have still doesn't mean their draw is for everyone IRL. I played Prophecies at release, and Whispers still doesn't make sense for either my character then OR my character now.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-05-08 at 07:09 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, didn't Order of Whispers have nothing to do with the Elder Dragons back then? Technically, it's because of them that the Durmand Priory is an order in it's own right, too. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    That's a pretty full-of-yourself statement.
    That's some rather uncalled for hostility.