Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Dhuum in Guildwars 2

So has ANET said wether or not Dhuum will be in GW2 as in the Epic ban Hammer ANET wields. I loved watching Dhuum raise from the ground and scything a player into oblivion, Banning them from the game.

I think the reasons Guildwars 1 community was so strong and mature, is because ANET had almost zero tolerance for Botters, Hackers and Abusive Players. That kind of goes hand in hand with a none monthly sub MMO.

In some other MMO which I wont name but I will say I enjoyed playing for over 6 yrs in that particular MMO you seen alot of immature abusive behavior from players towards the community. Trade chat was riddled with racial slurs amd extreme profanity because the players being detremental too others knew that the game wouldnt Ban them. When your paying someone $15.00 a month they are inclined to look the other way in most situations that ANET would just perma ban you for.

The lesson of the story is once you buy GW2 ANET has your money so dont be abusive or exploitive because they will drop the Epic Dhuum Ban Hammer on you assuming Dhuum is also in GW2.

For those of you who are not aware of being Dhuum'd is. Its when ANET spawns a NPC to kill you named Dhuum and once you die your banned. Its very funny to watch heres a video enjoy...

Deleted
    Seen it before. Do want.

It's a nice little addition, it shows people are being banned if/when they cheat, and it's cool. Really hope they decide to put this in.

Carefull about wearing overly rosey glasses when you look back at GW1 and compare it to some other nameless MMO that we wont name but all know. There were assholes in GW1 just like everywhere else. It may have been a bit more low key but it was still there. Also because of the instanceing nobody but Anet can really know how heavyhanded they were with the bot banning. Yes they banned tons of bots but that other major MMO has banned its fair share too.

That said I do think dhuum was a good thing for the game. When you see someone get banned your more likely to be on your best behavior for a while. I've always said that the MMO's should reguarly release statistics of their banning in a location where all their playerbase will see it. How many people would think twice if as they loged in they saw that 2k folks got baned for bad behavior, 1k more for botting, and so on. While it was prety rare to see dhuum pop up folks remembered it when they saw him.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Carefull about wearing overly rosey glasses when you look back at GW1 and compare it to some other nameless MMO that we wont name but all know. There were assholes in GW1 just like everywhere else. It may have been a bit more low key but it was still there. Also because of the instanceing nobody but Anet can really know how heavyhanded they were with the bot banning. Yes they banned tons of bots but that other major MMO has banned its fair share too.

That said I do think dhuum was a good thing for the game. When you see someone get banned your more likely to be on your best behavior for a while. I've always said that the MMO's should reguarly release statistics of their banning in a location where all their playerbase will see it. How many people would think twice if as they loged in they saw that 2k folks got baned for bad behavior, 1k more for botting, and so on. While it was prety rare to see dhuum pop up folks remembered it when they saw him.
    I think the main reason ANet could do something like that is because Guild Wars isn't a subscription based game. Every banned account doesn't equate lost monthly revenue. I think it's great, and hopefully they'll be just as strict in GW2.

As for the little "event", I like the idea of it.

Ok I see a brutal looking npc came out and murder that player, but what was the reason ?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Later it was found that "Gossip Girl Wut" was suspended for 72 hours for "Inappropriate Language".
    Video descriptions ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Zem View Post
    Ok I see a brutal looking npc came out and murder that player, but what was the reason ?
    The OP described the reason.... :P

10+ Year Old Account
    So uh how about you roll an account and swear alot and get banned? And film it so we can see.

Maybe they'll use Primordius for this one. That would really make an; "O SNAP" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Maybe they'll use Primordius for this one. That would really make an; "O SNAP" situation.
    Hahaha. "ALRIGHT, TIME TO FIGHT.. Zhaitan? OH GOD, WE'RE NOT READY RUN RUN RUN."

Twice as funny if you know what you're dealing with. So for all of you new to GW Lore..

Dhuum was the "old" god of death and the afterlife, known as "Death Inevitable", and one mean SOB as he mercylessly hunted down everything that fiddled with his domain of death, including necromancy and ressurection.

Dhuum was eventually thrown down and imprisoned in a lone room in the underworld, by the currently ruling god of death, Grenth, who admittably does a fairly decent job of being a just judge of souls.
    Last edited by Mirume; 2012-05-08 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Typos.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's unlikely they'll be as strict with children reporting for someone being mean to them, due to the sheer size increase they're going to deal with. ArenaNET has also yet to increase the size of their moderation team for reporting. Additionally, they could be in for a rude awakening with micro-transactions like Riot when they banned players, unlawfully denying access to their purchases since a TOS is not carte blanche to do with the customers money as you will, but the credit card transactions are a binding agreement to access to your purchases. I forgot the docket # but there was a small case in SF where the banned party was allowed to use a new account and retain all purchased items or receive a full refund for all items purchased. The game itself would be governed by TOS, so they could ban and force you to buy a new one, but you'd still retain your micro-transactions as long as they were not used.(boosts etc.)

Deleted
    I'll take it as a pet for my necro!

But yeah, good thing!

Well its a classy way to lay the banhammer on someone.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    I could not agree more. If people were to log in only to be greeted with an announcement "1,XXX people have been banned for using inappropriate language..." they'd be less likley to spam trade with anal spam.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Yea, Arena.net don't really take a lot of crap from their players. Fairly liberal with bans and dismissive of the dumb players. Based on what I saw on the official forums, Anet devs tone & position was much the same as it was in the Wikitalk, GWG and GWI. I can't imagine Anet would tolerate scumbag players in GW2 anymore than GW1.

Anet still function like a boutique dev house.

Deleted
    Hope they get him in to GW2, he's a nice visual reminder to people that they wont get away with bad behaviour.

He's a cool detail in the game, if you can call him that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brickerz View Post
    It's unlikely they'll be as strict with children reporting for someone being mean to them, due to the sheer size increase they're going to deal with. ArenaNET has also yet to increase the size of their moderation team for reporting. Additionally, they could be in for a rude awakening with micro-transactions like Riot when they banned players, unlawfully denying access to their purchases since a TOS is not carte blanche to do with the customers money as you will, but the credit card transactions are a binding agreement to access to your purchases. I forgot the docket # but there was a small case in SF where the banned party was allowed to use a new account and retain all purchased items or receive a full refund for all items purchased. The game itself would be governed by TOS, so they could ban and force you to buy a new one, but you'd still retain your micro-transactions as long as they were not used.(boosts etc.)
    Yeah riots pretty dumb though... my friend went 25-0-15 on Dr. Mundo and got banned for "hacking"... because i suppose Mundo isn't capable of utterly destroying people anymore once he gets geared up... oh wait....

On a side not as far as i've noticed Anet doesn't just ban people because little timmy reported someone for "being a meany" you either have to have a TON of people do that, or bot or w/e else that puts you on Dhuums radar.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's dead right? Or at least sealed away? If they ever bring back the ban hammer type of thing, it will be grenth instead of dhuum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    He's dead right? Or at least sealed away? If they ever bring back the ban hammer type of thing, it will be grenth instead of dhuum.
    Dhuum was sealed away through pretty much all of GW1, he broke free for a small point of time before he was thrown back into his room, so it'll probably stay as Dhuum or become something else of equal bad assery.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.