Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The pay2play MMORPG population has peaked at around 20 million players (Europe & NA) and has been steady around that number for 3-4 years now.

I don't see that number rising or falling significantly in the coming years.

Edit:
    Fun statistics. The population of North America + Europe is slightly over 1 billion people, so it can be said that roughly 1 out of 50 people plays a MMORPG.
    Last edited by Romeo83x; 2012-05-09 at 09:45 PM.

Its just stagnant, not really declining or rising at all. You have WoW and all the WoW clones... those are your only choices for popular MMOs. GW2 looks interesting but the lack of gear treadmill makes me think it won't last as long. I know I am going to sound like a Blizzard fanboy here, but I do think "Titan" will be something truly innovative and will beat WoWs peak of 12 mil+ subscribers.

MMOs are unimaginably popular. There's a TON of MMOs on the market today, and many of the F2P ones especially, in both Asia and the world at large, have massive playerbases, potentially even comparable to WoW's subscriber base. That's huge. There's more people playing MMOs today than there has ever been before.