Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    News flash. This MMO is still MM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekuja View Post
    how is there 10.2m subs.. if there's 10m battle net accounts? wut?
    Some regions may still allow you to play WoW without a battle.net account, I'm not sure. It might also have to do with Mainland not being part of the main battle.net domain, but rather battlenet.com.cn.

More likely, however, is that about 200,000 active accounts worldwide are the result of battle.net accounts with multiple subscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    Hmm I thought they might of went up slightly, but this is pretty much expected. Let's see how the 2nd quarter goes though. That's going to be WoW's biggest test. I wouldn't be shocked if they try really hard to push 5.0 out before the end of June too because of all this competition. I really hope Tera and GW2 do well though, that way there is at least some competition for WoW so it pushes innovation and we get more content and more fun.
    I wouldn't say that they would rush it, though seeing how much the Beta has progressed and how many bugs are being worked on due to the increase of Beta testers, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out within the next 6 months.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Sigh, was really hoping to see some sub drops, the annual pass makes the numbers completely slanted, but it's still unfortunate. WoW is great and all but it's choking the MMORPG market by retaining such a huge majority of the player base and leaving little to no room for anything new or innovative to get green lit, or live long enough to surpass it. I'm not one of the wow hating flammers who want to see it die, and its great that an MMORPG got so huge and expanded the market the way it did, but now I'd like to see this 7 year old game share the spot light and go down to a more modest number of subscribers. Even 6 million subs/active players, which is still more then any other major MMORPG, would be great. Not saying it's WoW or Blizzards "fault" really (though Blizzard is certainly pleased : P), it's just the way people and the market work :/
    Wouldn't it be more logical to wish that other games would perform better, rather than wanting this game to perform more poorly?

If any of the other games were able to offer the kind of complete, polished, and well-rounded eperience that WoW has, I'm, sure they'd perform better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Wouldn't it be more logical to wish that other games would perform better, rather than wanting this game to perform more poorly?

If any of the other games were able to offer the kind of complete, polished, and well-rounded experience that WoW has, I'm, sure they'd perform better.
    Ka-ching. This. WoW should be outdone. Not have to sink before someone else takes it's place. Even though I believe that the age of WoW-esque MMO's is gone. There will never be a MMO game as big as World of Warcraft. That's my honest belief. Just like there was only one Elvis, Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, FDR, Ronald Regan, Bill Clinton and Super Mario. One of a kind, no other like them.

(There should have been a woman in that list.)
    Last edited by Ken_Silver; 2012-05-10 at 02:01 AM.

"With King's Light and Lion's Roar, By kingdom's pact, our spirits soar, Against the Darkness, we stand in defiance, Even in death, Glory to the Alliance!" - Ken Silver, Human Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Cargath View Post
    I wouldn't say that they would rush it, though seeing how much the Beta has progressed and how many bugs are being worked on due to the increase of Beta testers, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out within the next 6 months.
    It's fairly well thought out that we'll get MoP by July/August. So we'll likely get 5.0 (which will pretty much be a month+ prelaunch test) in June/July. Since they cancelled Blizzcon to instead focus on putting out their games, I'm fairly certain we'll get 5.0 in June/July and MoP in July/August. There are just too many signs and too much history associated for me to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Silver View Post
    Ka-ching. This WoW should be outdone. Not have to sink before someone else takes it's place. Even though I believe that the age of WoW-esque MMO's is gone. There will never be a MMO game as big as World of Warcraft. That's my honest belief. Just like there was only one Elvis, Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, FDR, Ronald Regan, Bill Clinton and Super Mario. One of a kind, no other like them.

(There should have been a woman in that list.)
    Janis Joplin?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Silver View Post
    Ka-ching. This. WoW should be outdone. Not have to sink before someone else takes it's place. Even though I believe that the age of WoW-esque MMO's is gone. There will never be a MMO game as big as World of Warcraft. That's my honest belief. Just like there was only one Elvis, Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, FDR, Ronald Regan, Bill Clinton, Lady Gaga and Super Mario. One of a kind, no other like them.
    Added a woman for you.

But really, this. Haters just plain hate Blizzard. They don't want another MMO to succeed, they just want WoW (and thereby Acti-Blizz) to burn.

That's what I watch with MMOs is revolutionizing the industry like WoW did by removing the player-punishment aspect EQ was well known for.

ToR came the closest thus far, with a amazing innovation to combat (yes, no auto-attack is good) and a decision that the storyline should be first and foremost. The thing that I see killing ToR in the long run is that they don't have enough story. An expansion can add another planet, but in the end we know the storyline is "republic defeats empire, and the sith are driven to the rule of two."

Tera, the recently-declared WoW killer, tries to once again revolutionize combat.... by making it a third-person FPS. There's a reason Tabula Rasa failed, people!

Looking forward, there are three things I feel an MMO needs to do to finally beat WoW. Note I said beat, not kill, as even EQ still has some players.

1. Story first. There needs to be a clear storyline to what is going on, not "we thought it would be cool, so we made the lore fit it." This used to be the normal with EQ, EQ2, and early WoW, but gamers these days are more inclined to interesting stories. Even Modern Warfare had a storyline. Games without a good storyline will fall by the wayside, or are MMOFPSes (like Team Fortress 2).

2. Innovate combat, not destroy it. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Combat is fine as it is right now, it's in no way broken. The thing is combat feels stale after 20 years of the same "auto attack while pushing buttons." Combat needs to be made fresh again with new ideas on the classic system of abilities and targetting. ToR got it right by removing auto-attack. It made combat more interesting by making it about what combinations you use instead of how fast you push the buttons.

3. Stop trying to be World of Warcraft. It doesn't work. WoW became what it is by not being Everquest. You can use similar gameplay concepts as WoW, like the two-factions, battleground, or even the idea of tiered/mini-tiered content. But enough with the "after sealing the demons, the liberated red team is at a strenuous peace with the blue team. A peace constantly challenged by liches, dragons, and demons." And if you're feeling really really original, try to change things like talent systems too.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Vocal, Arrogant, Fanboy Poster: "Hah! In your face you #@$%ing hater ^&*#'s! This MMo is perfect and no other MMO will ever even remotely reach the same playerbase ever again!"

Vocal, Immature, Hater Posters: "STFU nub, l2 annual pass! WoW is dying and MoP is the nail in teh koffin! SWTOR will kill wo- no wait... GW2 will kill WoW!"

Everyone else: Could you guys please take this outside?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesingwary-Eliada View Post
    Vocal, Arrogant, Fanboy Poster: "Hah! In your face you #@$%ing hater ^&*#'s! This MMo is perfect and no other MMO will ever even remotely reach the same playerbase ever again!"

Vocal, Immature, Hater Posters: "STFU nub, l2 annual pass! WoW is dying and MoP is the nail in teh koffin! SWTOR will kill wo- no wait... GW2 will kill WoW!"

Everyone else: Could you guys please take this outside?
    Actually the haters have christened... no wait I guess they stopped calling Tera the WoW killer. Now it's Diablo 3.

So... wow has 10 mill subs, and battle.net has 10 mill users...? so what about the people that dont play wow they dont get counted? or the people that played and quit and play something else?

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Actually the haters have christened... no wait I guess they stopped calling Tera the WoW killer. Now it's Diablo 3.
    Really? Anyone with half a brain isn't calling Tera a WoW killer. It has little advertising and is basically getting bought by word of mouth viral marketing. I could see Tera beating out Swtor though because that viral marketing is generally very positive (90+%) but they'd really have to commit to expanding endgame and polishing the wrinkles out before it'll get to 3 or 4m and even be able to bite at WoW's ankles. The only thing that will kill WoW is WoW itself.

I bet they are still counting dead accounts..smh..

10+ Year Old Account
    Well here we are. So since the last Quarter, we had people predicting wow would lose tons more subs because it wasn't accounting for SWTOR which just got released.

And here we see that it didn't make any difference at all, that in fact SWTOR lost subs well wow maintained it. Showing once more that a supposed wow killer was just more fluff from the ones complaining about it.

It kind of feels like wow just trimmed all the bad fat off and now left the good stuff behind.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2012-05-10 at 02:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    Really? Anyone with half a brain isn't calling Tera a WoW killer. It has little advertising and is basically getting bought by word of mouth viral marketing. I could see Tera beating out Swtor though because that viral marketing is generally very positive (90+%) but they'd really have to commit to expanding endgame and polishing the wrinkles out before it'll get to 3 or 4m and even be able to bite at WoW's ankles. The only thing that will kill WoW is WoW itself.
    A few months ago it was "GW2 will destroy WoW."

A few days ago every new hater thread was "XYZ is why Tera will kill WoW."

Now today it's shifted to "6 days to the end of WoW" and "May 15, 12:01 AM. WoW shut down for good."

Once again they can't chose this year's killer because this year's crop of MMOs (and Diablo 3 for some reason) just aren't good enough.

As I said earlier, nothing will kill WoW except Blizzard. But an MMO that can beat (have more subscribers at one moment than WoW at that same moment) WoW will have to revolutionize the industry.

they probably got a temporary stabilization from anual pass and scroll. itll go down next quarter

wow...it's been fun reading 30 pages of fanboy / hater BS and so few intelligent comments

an objective analysis, and one stock traders or remotely intelligent people would arrive at, is that their cost of subscriber retention has dramatically increased and is unsustainable.

Like so many of the fanboys Blizzard is desperate to be able to claim 10 million plus subscribers, regardless of the activity level on the servers, and to do so have given away close to $100 million worth of product / revenue***

And despite giving away $100,000,000 worth of product and locking over 10% of their subscriber base into long term contracts the best they could do was stabilize their subscription base at the time their "main" latest FOTM competition was losing subscribers.

An intelligent person would know, regardless of whether or not they were a fanboy or a hater, that that isn't "great" news.

*** (the D3 giveaway alone cost them $60,000,000 1.2 mil x $50.00 and all the free products [mounts, expansions, transfers] associated with the AP and Scroll is easily worth another $30-40 million of lost revenue).

This says much less about the quality of the game and much more about the effectiveness of Blizzard's efforts to draw subscribers to it.
    WoW is certainly not dying though.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow is far from stable. The inflation from the Scroll of Rez is holding it strong but i'm sure 300k+ of those accounts are just online for 1 month so someone can get a griffon. I activated about 7 accounts myself and they are all expiring now. If someone wanted to pay me $15 or gift me a month of game time, I was glad to get a free month of wow out of them wanting that mount. Wow is about to get beat the hell up with so many great games coming out and seriously, who wants to keep doing DS over and over every week for the next 5 months? As soon as annual pass is over, I'm canceling my account. It's been a fun game but Blizzard REFUSES to shut down and repopulate servers on a massive scale. We are down to under 2k active accounts on my server and I'm not paying them for 10 realm transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    A few months ago it was "GW2 will destroy WoW."

A few days ago every new hater thread was "XYZ is why Tera will kill WoW."

Now today it's shifted to "6 days to the end of WoW" and "May 15, 12:01 AM. WoW shut down for good."

Once again they can't chose this year's killer because this year's crop of MMOs (and Diablo 3 for some reason) just aren't good enough.

As I said earlier, nothing will kill WoW except Blizzard. But an MMO that can beat (have more subscribers at one moment than WoW at that same moment) WoW will have to revolutionize the industry.
    "__ will kill WoW" has basically become a meme and troll ammo. There are people out there that put just about anything in that space.
    "Pong 2012 will kill WoW."

You're right though. Nothing can kill WoW but Blizzard.