Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I once had a LOTR extended edition marathon with some friends. It was awesome! I plan to do it again before The Hobbit releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I have a yearly watching of the entire extended trilogy. My favorite movies, hands down. I'm still in awe over Return of the King pretty much every time I watch it. There's a reason it's the only fantasy film to ever win Best Picture.
    Dude I watch Return of the King at least once every 3-4 months, its a great movie all-around. I still get chills when Gandalf explains what happens after death.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    man theres nothing i enjoy more than getting a whole mess of narc's, black out the room, turn the a/c down to 50 and put in some lotr. amazing movies, cant wait for the hobbit.

the books are quite a bit better imo but its rather hard to squeeze the books into the movies. although the return of the kings uncut version is like 4 hours and 20 mins so i dunno.

that being said, i think i may have my saturday planned out lol

Quote Originally Posted by arcanemage View Post
    Dude I watch Return of the King at least once every 3-4 months, its a great movie all-around. I still get chills when Gandalf explains what happens after death.
    I'm so scared of burning myself out on the movies because they're so long, hence why I keep my viewings down to once-per-year! I have the same policy for Spaceballs, which keeps it always funny every time I watch it.

So pumped for the Hobbit. Peter Jackson is such a lucky SOB for being able to convince the studios to let him shoot it in two parts. That had to have been an uphill battle; studios HATE signing on for multiple movies.

It is the greatest film trilogy in the world. Amazing how a fantasy picture could do so well, even take home the Oscar for Best Picture; well done Peter Jackson! We are in his debt, but more so in the debt of the father of fantasy , J.R.R TOLKIEN! Thank you!

15+ Year Old Account
    I've actually been wanting to re-watch these. I just haven't been able to commit the time. I really should

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane Falcon View Post
    I can one-up that... Just from watching the movies, I thought Boromir was a douchebag, asshole, and dick, all rolled into one.

Extended edition? Here, have a little scene covering how Boromir doesn't want to do any of it, but his dad, the Steward of Gondor, wants the ring to help bring their family into true power, and won't let Boromir back out, belittling him and the like.

One extended scene, and a complete re-vamp of the character I thought I couldn't stand. My mind was fucking *blown*.

I tried to read the books, before anyone points that out to me, and I couldn't get past the first chapter of The Hobbit, in order to get into the LotR proper. Too dry, too droning, and I literally just couldn't finish the chapter without zoning out.

...However, I do have the full extended version Blu-Ray box set that I haven't gotten around to marathon-watching yet...
    Damnit Spoilers! hadn't seen that scene! But don't worry I wont hold it against you My fault for not having seen the extended editions yet. Might just go order them all now tbh! Time to roam the internets for the ultimate LOTR extended box or whatever I can find... if anyone knows a good shop (EU) or a box set I should get, do let me know... I'll be checking amazon.co.uk, play.com, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Amirantha View Post
    The movies were great movies.....but they don't even come close to doing the books justice. They leave out major parts of the plot, and even cut characters out and change how characters were portrayed. They also changed what stories were part of what books.

Again, as far as movies go, they were pretty awesome. They really just don't live up to the books.....
    in order to do that they would have had to have been like 6-7 hour long movies dude >_>

to capture a book, and condense it to reasonable lengths requires editing, something that was done quite well

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Damnit Spoilers! hadn't seen that scene! But don't worry I wont hold it against you My fault for not having seen the extended editions yet. Might just go order them all now tbh! Time to roam the internets for the ultimate LOTR extended box or whatever I can find... if anyone knows a good shop (EU) or a box set I should get, do let me know... I'll be checking amazon.co.uk, play.com, etc etc
    This is what I own, it makes for a great shelf addition as well :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arcanemage View Post
    This is what I own, it makes for a great shelf addition as well :P
    now THATS exactly what im looking for lets see if i can get it on UK amazon or play.com etc...

omg: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-T...6694105&sr=8-2 17.99 pounds! thats NOTHING! man this is gonna be a GOOD DAY

My mindset for spoilers is that they have a shelf life. And the books were published almost 60 years ago... <_< Saying there's a spoiler for this is like saying someone spoiled the King Kong movie. lol

But, yeah. I intentionally gave that bit of a teaser, just to REALLY sink home the differences the extended edition means. And I suggest getting the Blu-Ray extended box set. The box holding them all is gold, and looks quite impressive on a shelf.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

now THATS exactly what im looking for lets see if i can get it on UK amazon or play.com etc...
    Glad to be of assistance! I'm very certain you can find something on those sites..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I'm so scared of burning myself out on the movies because they're so long, hence why I keep my viewings down to once-per-year! I have the same policy for Spaceballs, which keeps it always funny every time I watch it.

So pumped for the Hobbit. Peter Jackson is such a lucky SOB for being able to convince the studios to let him shoot it in two parts. That had to have been an uphill battle; studios HATE signing on for multiple movies.
    Well, he did convince them to sign on for three consecutive films directly with LOTR and did fairly well with that. They might have some faith in him. Still, I see your point - The Hobbit is a single book and it could very well have been made into a single film. Not as well, of course, but still.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

omg: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-T...6694105&sr=8-2 17.99 pounds! thats NOTHING! man this is gonna be a GOOD DAY
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Lord-Rin...6694353&sr=8-1 That's the Blu-Ray version.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

15+ Year Old Account
    My mindset for spoilers is that they have a shelf life. And the books were published almost 60 years ago... <_< Saying there's a spoiler for this is like saying someone spoiled the King Kong movie. lol

But, yeah. I intentionally gave that bit of a teaser, just to REALLY sink home the differences the extended edition means. And I suggest getting the Blu-Ray extended box set. The box holding them all is gold, and looks quite impressive on a shelf.
    Haha yeah, I was only really joking when I said "spoilers!", as I said, my own fault that I've not seen the extended versions yet

Now i'm stuck between getting this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-T...6694105&sr=8-2

and this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Lord-Rin...6694105&sr=8-8

Double the price for "+11 hous of extra features, auto commentaries and documentaries"

---------- Post added 2012-05-11 at 02:03 AM ----------

I'm a little behind the times and don't have a bluray player yet... I know! Flog me! I recently moved back in with my parents temporarily and I don't think they'd be interested in getting a bluray player, even though they have a kinda small (32") Full HD LCD TV.

and i've been thinking of getting a blu ray drive for my PC but tbh I don't like sitting at the PC to watch films, find it uncomfortable... So I guess it'll be the DVD box set... now I just need to decide which of the 2 that I linked above...
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-05-11 at 12:09 AM.

Do I like LOTR? Hell yea! I started to read the books when I was like 10y old, the first time. Read them again when I was around 15-16 and understood more. I've never really liked to read books, but I still managed to go through most of Tolkiens books before I was 16. My fav. book is The Hobbit, because it's more.. Fun?

I was superhyped when the first movie came. I was only 11 years old and had just read the first two books. I was in love with the world and imagined myself being there all the time. We got it on DVD and I think I saw it 20 times or so until The Two Towers came. I'm not lying here, but I have seen The Two Towers over 200 times. Every day after school, me and a friend always sat down and watched The Two Towers while eating some food. Most of our friends were older than us so we had to wait for them to finnish school / eat / whatever and killed our time with TTT. From the day I got TTT on DvD till like 1 week before RoTK came to cinema we almost saw the movie every day.

Return of the King is still one of the most epic experiences I've had ever. I was so in love with the world and I loved the movies. When you're a teenager you don't look for mistakes or care about the big differences between movie and book so it was amazing!

Short after I bought the DvD extended box and got a Minas Tirith statue with it. Seen them a few times and watched all of the extra-CDs. The work behind the movies is insane. We had a marathon few months ago with all three extended versions and will most likley have another just before The Hobbit.

I really hope The Hobbit is just as good, since it's my fav. book ever it has to be!

Edit: Must tell you a fun fact. I usually watched RoTK before falling asleep. And for about 2 weeks in a row, I fell asleep during the movie and always woke up when they zoomed Aragorn in just before he says "For Frodo!" and charge into the orcs at the black gate just to fall asleep directly after.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gah i'm lying in bed on my laptop and I just can't decide which box to buy! As far as I know the first one I linked doesn't have extras; and people here have been saying the extras are a must see... but it's £20 extra. WAT DO!

edit: just seen that both boxes contain 12 discs... If the 2nd box has extras etc, but they both have the same amount of discs, mthen surely the first box i linked must have some extras too? and its half the price...

edit2: Ok i need to learn to read, first box set: "To top it all off, the extended editions offer four discs per film: two for the longer movie, plus four commentary tracks and stupendous DTS 6.1 ES sound; and two for the bonus material, which covers just about everything from script creation to special effects."

First box set it is

edit3: looking at the pictures of both the ones I linked, just realised they're the same lol... just 1 is double the price o_O

derp moment #3 this evening...
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-05-11 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    It's amazing to watch the production for that movie, especially the costume and set design portions.
    That part made me chuckle, for a different reason.

So, I've never watched any LOTR movies / read the books. A friend let me borrow the first movie off of him. To be fair, I wasn't giving it 100% of my attention (I was doing homework while "watching it"), so I stopped watching it about 30 minutes in, and told him that. I told him why I didn't like it, and to aggravate him (jokingly, of course) that it had "horrible production values!". Now, whenever I hear the word "production" (or talk about anything movie related with him), I'm sure to bring up that LOTR had "horrible production values!".

In case you can't tell, I don't really think that, and I am aware that I didn't give it a fair chance.

Anyway, hope I didn't derail, just wanted to share my experience with LOTR and it's production. =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Good for you, man! They are brilliant pictures, especially the Return of the King.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    That part made me chuckle, for a different reason.

So, I've never watched any LOTR movies / read the books. A friend let me borrow the first movie off of him. To be fair, I wasn't giving it 100% of my attention (I was doing homework while "watching it"), so I stopped watching it about 30 minutes in, and told him that. I told him why I didn't like it, and to aggravate him (jokingly, of course) that it had "horrible production values!". Now, whenever I hear the word "production" (or talk about anything movie related with him), I'm sure to bring up that LOTR had "horrible production values!".

In case you can't tell, I don't really think that, and I am aware that I didn't give it a fair chance.

Anyway, hope I didn't derail, just wanted to share my experience with LOTR and it's production. =p

Oh you silly troll. Give the movie a shot, the production values are great man!
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." --Billy Joel

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” --John Lennon