Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stress test on a work day?

During mostly working hours?
    /boggle

Deleted
    Clearly the entire world shares working hours with the US west coast.

My guess is that they are doing that for specific reasons. Gives a more realistic indication of typical load. There will be a steady increase in usage as the day progresses, particularly on the U.S. east coast. I'm guessing they are testing overflows as load increases as apposed to just getting slammed right at the beginning of the session. Don't know for sure but it's how I would test it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not discuss this in the thread all about the stress test? O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

It would make sense to do it on a workday -- so that the ArenaNet guys are all there. I think?

The timeing of it starts during primetime in the EU and advances through at least part of primetime US. Even on a weekday they'll get plenty of stress test data. If all else fails and servers are not hitting capacity they can close down some of the 48 servers they had up last beta and transfer people from the closed ones to other servers to increase the load.

I know the timeing is inconvenient for many US folks but more than likely the time was set to let them have all hands on deck in the office and data centers.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    The US-East section of the test seems to be @ 2:00pm. I'd normally be in class. Summer vacation ftw!

Deleted
    they clearly made it to overlap with diablo3 release

aint gonna work

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by devonizer View Post
    they clearly made it to overlap with diablo3 release

aint gonna work
    Its noon to 8pm *in my time zone* the day before d3 drops so I really doubt that.

Deleted
    for me (europe) d3 is released 3 hours after the gw2 test starts (8pm aswell)

Quote Originally Posted by ccjustice View Post
    It would make sense to do it on a workday -- so that the ArenaNet guys are all there. I think?
    Exactly they have to work long weekend hours for BWEs why do that for a simple stress test

And the D3 timing is just a coincidence its a couple weeks after the first BWE gave them time to fix the issues they identified, and still gives them time to work on it for a couple more weeks if soemthing else goes wrong for the next BWE

its so SHOCKING that a dev actually uses beta to beta test the game, what a novel concept after being in the D3 "demo" beta its refreshing

Well in europe it is a week night...so *shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    Prime time for Europe and GW2 server teams will be working because it's a Monday. Go figure!

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait for the stress test.
    Pffft @ D3. If I wanted to play a dungeon crawler, I could go smash it out in Dungeon Siege 3. It makes D3 look like prehistoric crap. So disappointed. Waiting 10 years for D3, and that's all Blizz has to offer? LOOOOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Pffft @ D3. If I wanted to play a dungeon crawler, I could go smash it out in Dungeon Siege 3. It makes D3 look like prehistoric crap. So disappointed. Waiting 10 years for D3, and that's all Blizz has to offer? LOOOOOL.
    Are you serious? Dungeon Siege 3 was horrible in comparison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jschulth View Post
    During mostly working hours?
    /boggle
    Probably a reason for it
    They must offer it to everyone that prepurchased, and still want a bunch to test but not as many as last BWE. So they put it on a weekday when enough can play but they know many will have real life matters to attend as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I recall DS3 receiving at best so-so reviews and a lot of player dissatisfaction. Not to mention it had tons of PC related issues [the platform the franchise was created for...]. Also, developed by Obsidian- epitome of a AA dev house.

Dungeon Siege 3 was kind of a failure.

Edit: Not questioning your opinion on D3. Just kinda odd to point out DS3 of all ARPGs in the time since D2.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-11 at 05:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I recall DS3 receiving at best so-so reviews and a lot of player dissatisfaction. Not to mention it had tons of PC related issues [the platform the franchise was created for...]. Also, developed by Obsidian- epitome of a AA dev house.

Dungeon Siege 3 was kind of a failure.

Edit: Not questioning your opinion on D3. Just kinda odd to point out DS3 of all ARPGs in the time since D2.
    Yeah, and there's a lot of things I could nitpick about D3 as well, but popular vote shows that EA, Activision, and Blizzard are the best at making you buy crap and think it's gold. As a matter of fact, you already replied to my D3 beta gripes.

I like how we went from talking about the day picked for the stress test to talking about D3 and Dungeon Siege...

Anywho... I can understand the day picked but the hours seemed a bit strange. Typically a lot of people are working during those hours and most won't be on until maybe 3 hours before the stress test is over. I guess they want to see how their servers handle a steadily growing server load? Only stress tests I have seen, in other games, were during prime hours when most people are not working and are playing at their typical play times.
    Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

As a matter of fact, you already replied to my D3 beta gripes.
    Ah, I see. Don't really notice names. I am a compulsive "What's New" clicker.

Pretty flimsy charges of bad VO [they got some of the best VO actors/fan favorites] though.

OT: Anet don't give a flip about vacation days. Deal with it.