Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    So, is this games pvp better than GW2 spvp?
    How does it work really?
    Since I understand it's a diabloish kind of game...
    Do you just click and then join a queue to be matched up against someone?
    How many are playing it, are there long queues?
    Do you need to be max lvl to take part or when is it available to you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    So, is this games pvp better than GW2 spvp?
    How does it work really?
    Since I understand it's a diabloish kind of game...
    Do you just click and then join a queue to be matched up against someone?
    How many are playing it, are there long queues?
    Do you need to be max lvl to take part or when is it available to you?
    Diabloish ? Where did you get that from ?
    And no you don't need to be max level for it . Matched arenas are a bit complicated not just click and match .
    Leveling up is unique . You level up whenever you want but you only need to be at a bonefire. When you level up you spend an increasing amount of souls to increase one of your base stats (strength, endurance, vitality, dexterity, intelligence, faith, attunement, humanity) and you also get some passive armor and resistances increase on every level up .
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arian21 View Post
    Diabloish ? Where did you get that from ?
    And no you don't need to be max level for it . Matched arenas are a bit complicated not just click and match .
    Leveling up is unique . You level up whenever you want but you only need to be at a bonefire. When you level up you spend an increasing amount of souls to increase one of your base stats (strength, endurance, vitality, dexterity, intelligence, faith, attunement, humanity) and you also get some passive armor and resistances increase on every level up .
    I dont know much about diablo tbh, but both games seems to be dark and coop while not an mmo, am I wrong?=)
    How do you join in pvp then? Are there many people playing it? Is it better than GW2 spvp?=)

10+ Year Old Account
    dunno about gw2 but dark souls pvp is NOT just matched arena

If you are human (is required for some stuff in the game, default you are undead) then someone can invade you with some special items in the game and chase you until you or he dies . you (or he) earn a big chunk of souls and some stuff I don't remember .
    Also dark doesn't mean the same . Dark Souls is active block game not click to kill . Also it has no skills just armor and weapons/jewelry that differ and point to a huge amount of different builds .

An example . I started a warrior and am now 56 soul level with Man-Serpent Sword +10 and going for the item that i need to unlock it up to +15 (the sword is a greatsword but if you have enough strength you can wield it as a onehand)

Game is too complicated to analyze in 2-3 lines but it is NOTHING like diablo . Please don't call it again like this cause this game is so unique it might be its own category .

Btw can you tell me some info about gw2 spvp?
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

I dont know much about diablo tbh, but both games seems to be dark and coop while not an mmo, am I wrong?=)
    How do you join in pvp then? Are there many people playing it? Is it better than GW2 spvp?=)
    Well the pvp and coop are a bit different I think than other games.

To start, you are in an undead state. To take part in most of the coop or pvp you need to be in your human form. When you're human, if you are in an area you haven't beaten the boss of, there is a chance you'll be invaded by an enemy player and you two can fight to the death. The winner receiving humanity and souls (currency of the game). Under those same conditions you can also see summon signs to summon friendly players to help you defeat bosses or invaders.

Most people that invade you are going to be around 10% of your level, but it's possible they will be much lower level than you. Invaders can only invade people who are within 10% lower than them but there is no upper cap. A level 50 guy could invade a level 500 guy (and with the right build/gear/skills, beat them!), but not the other way around. It really all depends on the area of the game.

That's the basics of it, it goes a good bit deeper than that. There is also an arena where you can "queue" up for just regular old dueling matches.

I can't really compare it to GW2 pvp since I never played GW2, though. Sorry.

Just picked this up during Steam sale, and I'm greatly enjoying it, though i did have a 30 min fight with GFWL. Rolled a Wanderer and I spent the 1st 2 hours, after the tutorial area, just fighting those skeletons, so I could get used to the combat and controls. Somewhat confident, I made my way into the city and ran around in there for a while. I eventually made my way to the boss on the bridge and got him (second try, though it was close). I haven't attempted the dragon yet, but I did go around him and got the armored boar (cheesed that kill LOL). Not really sure where to go next, but I still have to get past the knight with the curved club at the bottom of the tower leading to the bridge, so I may go back there. I also have the armored knight at the top of the spiral tower near the boar (he rapes me), though I did get the other armored knight before the bridge (guarding a ring).

Surprisingly, I really haven't raged yet, though I did die a stupid death once when going to get my corpse, losing 3K souls, which bummed me out a bit. Then again, I've only really fought one boss.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 08:22 AM ----------

While I haven't PvPed a whole lot in DS yet (just a few invaders in my limited play time), from what I have seen in videos, I would say DS is a bit more tactical in combat vs GW2. Both games can have a lot of movement, but you really need to know your timing in DS, whereas GW2 is a bit more spammy. One wrong move in DS, like in PvE, can cost you the match. DS also has parry and backstab, which can turn the tide of the battle. Watching PvP in DS is much more satisfying than GW2, that's for sure. I could easily watch a tourney in DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Just picked this up during Steam sale, and I'm greatly enjoying it, though i did have a 30 min fight with GFWL. Rolled a Wanderer and I spent the 1st 2 hours, after the tutorial area, just fighting those skeletons, so I could get used to the combat and controls. Somewhat confident, I made my way into the city and ran around in there for a while. I eventually made my way to the boss on the bridge and got him (second try, though it was close). I haven't attempted the dragon yet, but I did go around him and got the armored boar (cheesed that kill LOL). Not really sure where to go next, but I still have to get past the knight with the curved club at the bottom of the tower leading to the bridge, so I may go back there. I also have the armored knight at the top of the spiral tower near the boar (he rapes me), though I did get the other armored knight before the bridge (guarding a ring).

Surprisingly, I really haven't raged yet, though I did die a stupid death once when going to get my corpse, losing 3K souls, which bummed me out a bit. Then again, I've only really fought one boss.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 08:22 AM ----------

While I haven't PvPed a whole lot in DS yet (just a few invaders in my limited play time), from what I have seen in videos, I would say DS is a bit more tactical in combat vs GW2. Both games can have a lot of movement, but you really need to know your timing in DS, whereas GW2 is a bit more spammy. One wrong move in DS, like in PvE, can cost you the match. DS also has parry and backstab, which can turn the tide of the battle. Watching PvP in DS is much more satisfying than GW2, that's for sure. I could easily watch a tourney in DS.
    The Knights become surprisingly easy if you can master the circle strafing and quickly roll out of the way of attacks that drain tons of stamina to block. For the one at the top of the tower, make sure you run up to him, don't get locked in a fight on the stairs as he'll just use his overhead swing to destroy your defense every time. Keep block held and start strafing right of him in a clear area, getting as close to him as possible - don't give him any range on you as it's significantly in his advantage. Once he starts an attack combo (take a minute or two to learn the patterns), release block and strafe quickly behind him to either backstab or hit him with a heavy swing. Immediately block and continue strafing unless you knock him over and repeat.

If he manages to knock you down, you can use the stairs as a brief escape route: Make sure you stay locked on and back off down the stairs. If you create a distance between you both, he'll go for one of a couple of large, lunging attacks that don't work if you're around a corner on the stairs and gives you the chance to use some Estus. Run all the way to the bottom and confront him in the open, so you can continue circling him. This tactic also works for the knight in the Undead Burg, regardless of level. I beat the Undead Burg knight at level 10 and the one at the top of the tower at 15 - I got my ass kicked repeatedly by the one with the huge club because my knight's movement speed when fully geared made it impossible to avoid his attacks. When I realised removing armour meant I could move far faster, with almost no change to damage taken from him (he basically one-two shots you regardless), I beat him in my third try without armour... though it was probably try 39 including fully armoured attempts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    The Knights become surprisingly easy if you can master the circle strafing and quickly roll out of the way of attacks that drain tons of stamina to block. For the one at the top of the tower, make sure you run up to him, don't get locked in a fight on the stairs as he'll just use his overhead swing to destroy your defense every time. Keep block held and start strafing right of him in a clear area, getting as close to him as possible - don't give him any range on you as it's significantly in his advantage. Once he starts an attack combo (take a minute or two to learn the patterns), release block and strafe quickly behind him to either backstab or hit him with a heavy swing. Immediately block and continue strafing unless you knock him over and repeat.

If he manages to knock you down, you can use the stairs as a brief escape route: Make sure you stay locked on and back off down the stairs. If you create a distance between you both, he'll go for one of a couple of large, lunging attacks that don't work if you're around a corner on the stairs and gives you the chance to use some Estus. Run all the way to the bottom and confront him in the open, so you can continue circling him. This tactic also works for the knight in the Undead Burg, regardless of level. I beat the Undead Burg knight at level 10 and the one at the top of the tower at 15 - I got my ass kicked repeatedly by the one with the huge club because my knight's movement speed when fully geared made it impossible to avoid his attacks. When I realised removing armour meant I could move far faster, with almost no change to damage taken from him (he basically one-two shots you regardless), I beat him in my third try without armour... though it was probably try 39 including fully armoured attempts.
    Easiest way. Learn the attacks and Parry + Riposte him. Then chain backstabs like an asshat.
    Circle backstab also works, but there is no need to actually get out unless your shield's stability is really weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by solazz View Post
    Most people that invade you are going to be around 10% of your level, but it's possible they will be much lower level than you. Invaders can only invade people who are within 10% lower than them but there is no upper cap. A level 50 guy could invade a level 500 guy (and with the right build/gear/skills, beat them!), but not the other way around. It really all depends on the area of the game.
    To be more specific.
    If you're a Darkwraith (or Dickwraith griefer), then you invade infinitely upwards after the initial 10% offsets. (Red / Black spirit invaders).
    If you're a Blade invader, you invade infinitely downward after the initial 10% offsets. (Blue / Spirit of Vengeance invaders).
    If you're a Forest Hunter you invade anyone in that zone. Regardless of levels.
    In arena you're based off brackets.

Remember, unless you're in the Kiln and purposely PvPing or doing Arena. Do not expect to always have a friendly 1v1 PvP. Sometimes expect a 3v1 buttfuck in some zones, especially co-op heavy zones. (2 possible co-op phantoms). Note, they're called phantoms due part Demon's Souls.
    Invasion in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls is most of the time griefing unless you're in a few designated areas that have become the norm.
    Don't expect fair fights in Xbox360 and PC ones as there may be hackers. PS3 has the least amount of hackers if you wish to participate in PvP.
    Also latency is king. (Lagstabs, hurrr).
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-01-09 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    If you're a Darkwraith (or Dickwraith griefer), then you invade infinitely upwards after the initial 10% offsets. (Red / Black spirit invaders).
    If you're a Blade invader, you invade infinitely downward after the initial 10% offsets. (Blue / Spirit of Vengeance invaders).
    If you're a Forest Hunter you invade anyone in that zone. Regardless of levels.
    In arena you're based off brackets.

Remember, unless you're in the Kiln and purposely PvPing or doing Arena. Do not expect to always have a friendly 1v1 PvP. Sometimes expect a 3v1 buttfuck in some zones, especially co-op heavy zones. (2 possible co-op phantoms). Note, they're called phantoms due part Demon's Souls.
    Invasion in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls is most of the time griefing unless you're in a few designated areas that have become the norm.
    Don't expect fair fights in Xbox360 and PC ones as there may be hackers. PS3 has the least amount of hackers if you wish to participate in PvP.
    Also latency is king. (Lagstabs, hurrr).
    Thanks for going into the specifics, I wasn't positive on Darkmoon Blades so I didn't want to give any misinformation.

Also, you may hear a lot about pvp "etiquette" like bowing before fighting and not using estus or humanity to heal, but you will not always run into people who actually employ said etiquette. So if you bow, don't be surprised to have a sword plunged into your backside.

Deleted
    I got DS in the winter steam sale and have run into trouble. I don't like looking up guides for games on my first playthrough, but I'm really stuck. I'm playing a pyromancer, and I've gotten to the 2 Gargoyles on the rooftop, but I just cannot defeat it. I only have 8 fireballs and I run out of them before I even kill one. I've been advancing vitality, endurance and intellect, but it have a feeling that doing intellect is not improving my spell damage, despite it saying in the tooltip/explanation that it should. Is there any way, other than googling it to determine how a pyromancer should skill up in early game?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    I got DS in the winter steam sale and have run into trouble. I don't like looking up guides for games on my first playthrough, but I'm really stuck. I'm playing a pyromancer, and I've gotten to the 2 Gargoyles on the rooftop, but I just cannot defeat it. I only have 8 fireballs and I run out of them before I even kill one. I've been advancing vitality, endurance and intellect, but it have a feeling that doing intellect is not improving my spell damage, despite it saying in the tooltip/explanation that it should. Is there any way, other than googling it to determine how a pyromancer should skill up in early game?
    You won't be able to upgrade your pyromancy hand/get more spells until you get to the Depths, so you need to kill the Capra Demon (who drops the key to the Depths) to do that. He is in the Lower Undead Burg and you need the Basement Key to get to him. I would highly encourage you to use a weapon along with your pyromancies though. It is very difficult to get through the game solely using spells, especially at the beginning.

PS. Intellect does nothing to pyromancies as they do not scale off of intellect. You'd be better off building vitality, endurance, dexterity, imo. Dexterity will improve your cast speeds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    PS. Intellect does nothing to pyromancies as they do not scale off of intellect. You'd be better off building vitality, endurance, dexterity, imo. Dexterity will improve your cast speeds.
    I have only played about 4 hours of the game so far, so I might consider restarting the pyro and leaving off Int. Would you suggest going with strength, dex, or a combination of both?

I picked up a spear which seems to require agility, and I like it despite not having good stats for it, because of it's stabbing range. If increasing agility speeds up cast animations and increases ranged damage, then I might go 1:2:2:2 Str:Agi:End:Vit. What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    You won't be able to upgrade your pyromancy hand/get more spells until you get to the Depths, so you need to kill the Capra Demon (who drops the key to the Depths) to do that. He is in the Lower Undead Burg and you need the Basement Key to get to him. I would highly encourage you to use a weapon along with your pyromancies though. It is very difficult to get through the game solely using spells, especially at the beginning.

This. It is incredibly difficult to complete the game solely through spell usage. You're going to have an especially tough time trying to just use pyromancies on fire bosses. Get a good sword (The undead merchant in the burg drops one if you kill him) and learn to use in in conjunction with your spells. Also, go human and summon Solaire if you're having a really tough time, or see if there are some people who have put down their summon sign. Even though it doesn't work the greatest, the co-op in this game is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've gotten to the 2 Gargoyles on the rooftop, but I just cannot defeat it. I only have 8 fireballs and I run out of them before I even kill one.
    Ged gud skrub.

No, seriously, you should get better at the game. Meaning, for example, that you actually have to use melee weapons regardless of your class. Pyromancy, sorcery and miracles aren't meant to be the only or probably even major way of doing damage. Think of them as a tool to use when it's not possible, or not safe, or not effective to engage the enemy in melee combat.

ib4 people telling him how to get the Drake Sword
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    No, seriously, you should get better at the game. Meaning, for example, that you actually have to use melee weapons regardless of your class. Pyromancy, sorcery and miracles aren't meant to be the only or probably even major way of doing damage. Think of them as a tool to use when it's not possible, or not safe, or not effective to engage the enemy in melee combat.
    This is good to know, as I was thinking of making a caster for my second play through.

10+ Year Old Account
    So. I'll explain the stats. It is rather necessary. Else it is a bit trial error ish at the beginning, and it can be frustrating as it does make your run more griefy.

Vitality: Health, pretty standard, soft cap 50. HP increases as a bell curve.
    Attunement: Amount of spells you can attune. Max 50 stats / 10 slots.
    Endurance: Increase bleed resist, equip weight, stamina. Stamina caps at 160 at stat 40.
    Strength: Increases damage and equipment requisite for the respective weapons / shields. Soft cap 40.
    Dexterity: Same as strength, just for dex items.
    Strength and Dexterity weapons are two types. Strength tends to be slower, stronger hitting. Dexterity faster and weaker.
    Resistance: Physical, Fire, Poison resist. (Useless don't get it, consider it a troll stat).
    Intelligence: Requirement and modifier for int related spells. Also may be requirement for weapons.
    Faith: Same as int, except for faith related spells and weapons.

Weight cap, you have 3 movement speed. 25% weight, 50%, and >50%. 25% and lower = fastest, then 50%, then >50% = fatty. Obviously has their trade off and depends on your play style.
    Since you don't want to look at a guide, I'll leave this for you to make a decision on how to build your character. A lot of people have their own preference and such.

Note, pyromancy are non stat scaling spells. They scale by the upgrade of your pyromancy flame.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-01-11 at 07:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Note, pyromancy are non stat scaling spells. They scale by the upgrade of your pyromancy flame.
    Thanks for taking the time to put that together. That's exactly what I need. I'm almosy back at the gargoyles again on my pyromancer restart. The biggest failing I believe was that I put nothing into strength, and everythig in vit, end and int. This time around I'm doing much smoother with almost 17 in strength already. I got the morningstar from the lift-shaft area and am one-hitting most normal mobs now. I should have a much easier time of it against the gargoyles now.

I'm also going to spend a little time getting my agility up and get a bow.

I'm also going to spend a little time getting my agility up and get a bow.
    I have found the bow to be quite useful. Pulling enemies is useful, and I have found some mini-bosses to be much easier with a bow, (like the armored boar and the 1-legged scorpion thing that shoots lightning (seriously, WTF is that thing!?).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have found the bow to be quite useful. Pulling enemies is useful, and I have found some mini-bosses to be much easier with a bow, (like the armored boar and the 1-legged scorpion thing that shoots lightning (seriously, WTF is that thing!?).
    The titanite demon by the blacksmith?

10+ Year Old Account
    Titanite demon / Faceless Demon. Used / killed to get Demon Titanite for upgrading certain weapons.