Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I'm not sure if you understood that I was talking about the pets. There's no "handbag doggy" in TL1. There's a wolfdog-style dog in it. And yes, I have it installed. I'm talking about the Papillon in TL2.

Unless, of course, this "handbag doggy" was in TL1 through some mod, which isn't what I'm talking about, though.
    Oh, I thought you said "handbag doggie" in reference to the fact that pets carry vendor trash for you. I use cats for my pets.

Yeah, I guess we can have a long debate about this. Warcraft has a cartoony feel, but I'm not talking about cartoony. I'm talking about 5-year old "kiddy" feel. Also, having a cartoony look or a kiddy look has absolutely nothing to do with running on low end machines.
    I'm still not so sure about this. How can you expect to make a "realistic" game that looks even like Diablo III run on netbooks? I think the art style is deliberate AND used to make the game run on low end stuff. Warcraft III was just cartoony, especially compared to, say, Stronghold 2 or Galactic Battlegrounds.

Well, I'm not 100 yet, so as I said, I suppose it'll get harder. There's just no point in creating a character on any other difficulty level than elite, though.
    I REALLY don't think it's going to get harder. If it's too easy on the hardest difficulty setting for you, it's just too easy of a game.

Here I was thinking it's stated clearly in the game itself that strength increases ALL weapon damage, and on the wiki that it includes ranged weapons.
    I thought you were talking about requirements to use the items. I guess it is odd that strength increases damage, but other stats increase damage in less noticeable and less optimal ways (focus allows you to strike with both weapons at once and dexterity reduces the damage penalty of glancing blows). I've been focusing a lot on defensive stats, so I hadn't really thought this issue through, so you make a very good point.

Oh, you don't understand. Of course there are tons of good things about the game. There's just absolutely no point in listing them all. Obviously there's like 98% good and 2% are the things I listed. This thread will have 407 pages of praise for TL2, so there's no point for me to jump on that wagon. We all know the good parts, so I just wanted to point out what are the negatives for me personally. I hope I did it in a constructive manner. If not, I apologize.
    I highly doubt an almost-indie game like this will be getting anywhere close to 200 pages, but your points are all fair enough.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Who still goes by Metacritic scores these days. -.-
    Apparently Bethesda, since they screwed Obsidian over for missing a Metacritic score by 1 point.

The game overall has been quite fun for me. I started on Veteran, but I'm thinking I should have started on Elite. Hopefully we'll see a mod that increases difficulty, so it's not a super big deal (I had to do the same thing in Fallout 3/NV). I hadn't paid much attention to the game since beta and I was surprised by the removal of the skill trees. I think what they have works, since the trees are not very tall, but now I have to rethink my Necromancer class.

10+ Year Old Account
    My god, I'm getting so tired of Elite mode... I don't find it particularly hard, it's just so god damn annoying and boring. No, I really don't fancy spending 5 minutes kiting a normal Champion mob just to have it drop one green and constantly chugging potions, because that's what Elite is about, kiting for ages and chugging shitloads of potions. Not to mention the bossfights with infinite adds, making the fight take closer to 15-20 minutes because all you do is run around the room and kite everything. That's probably what pisses me off the most with this game, infinite adds. It's just lazy design. To me, it ruins the fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Apparently Bethesda, since they screwed Obsidian over for missing a Metacritic score by 1 point.
    That was so fucking retarded. I don't blame Obsidian for going solo with their next thing.

Deleted
    <3 <3 My Engineer.

---------- Post added 2012-09-22 at 04:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post

Anyway bought the game as I was writing this. I hope I can keep my demo character in full version, can't find info on that anywhere.
    Of course you can, right from where you stopped.

Just download the demo if you're not convinced, it's worth your time.

I never understood why people felt it looked like a kid game. I never viewed it like that till I hoped on this forum actually. It's just different is all.

I still feel like the difficulty isn't high enough for Elite mode. Also the stat/gear system is pretty shallow. Overall the game is wonderful!

Everything feels so tight, precise. Anytime I die, I messed up. Monsters are interesting to fight, bosses are spectacular. The sheer speed of the game is phenomenal in the particular way high level D2 characters felt.

TL2 may be a nearly perfect game. Holy smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    I never understood why people felt it looked like a kid game. I never viewed it like that till I hoped on this forum actually. It's just different is all.
    Same reason why some people think Mists looks childish. It's just random hate/ignorance/what-have-you. The Torchlight style may be simple, but it works wonderfully for the games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    And the modding scene hasn't even started properly yet .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

I still feel like the difficulty isn't high enough for Elite mode. Also the stat/gear system is pretty shallow. Overall the game is wonderful!

Everything feels so tight, precise. Anytime I die, I messed up. Monsters are interesting to fight, bosses are spectacular. The sheer speed of the game is phenomenal in the particular way high level D2 characters felt.

I'm really wondering about this;

On my engineer, I'm currently level 17. I'm playing Sword and Board with a focus on additional stun and healing. The sword is actually a claw, so I'm investing only in DEX and VIT. He's running pretty well so far. I just walked into wall for the second time since lvl6, where it seems to be better to farm a level or two more before progressing safely.

On my Mage..thing..character, I'm getting my ass handed to me or I'm quaffing potions at a speed that would kill me if it were normal water irl. Thankfully, it's a game. Especially ranged character seem to tear me apart. This specific character is built around Focus/Vit/Dex. The lack of proper selfhealing evidently seems to be one of the things that makes game pretty hard on elite.

I'm not sure, but I bet that everyone that's face rolling Elite content right now, is an engineer, or Berserker.

Obviously, this is on HC mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Same reason why some people think Mists looks childish. It's just random hate/ignorance/what-have-you. The Torchlight style may be simple, but it works wonderfully for the games.
    It's not "think. Even you know it's childish. Who cares, it's about gameplay. If you still enjoy wow today, who cares about graphics. That said, MoP and minipet combat is definitely another step closer to kiddy
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-09-22 at 07:18 PM.

I'm going to overanalyze a bit here, but I don't think TL2 is a nearly perfect game at all. It does what it intends to do VERY well, but it does very little to go outside the box. A perfect game would be one you couldn't imagine the entire medium having existed without for so long. TL2 is more like Endless Space in that regard. It almost executes its genre perfectly, but missteps at important parts (for Endless Space, the combat was the misstep; TL2's misstep seems to be the lack of difficulty). To be fair, at least Runic didn't try to do something too amazingly out-of-the-water like Diablo III did with the RMAH and all legendary items being weaker than rares and fail at it. It just succeed at those risks either is my point.

Of course, the modding is a HUGE draw for the game and I'm hoping for a mod to come out in short order that increases the level cap and fixes the difficulties. Later on, there will NEED to be at least one mod that adds an entire new level of items. Three classes of items just don't cut it for me.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I'm really wondering about this;

On my engineer, I'm currently level 17. I'm playing Sword and Board with a focus on additional stun and healing. The sword is actually a claw, so I'm investing only in DEX and VIT. He's running pretty well so far. I just walked into wall for the second time since lvl6, where it seems to be better to farm a level or two more before progressing safely.

On my Mage..thing..character, I'm getting my ass handed to me or I'm quaffing potions at a speed that would kill me if it were normal water irl. Thankfully, it's a game. Especially ranged character seem to tear me apart. This specific character is built around Focus/Vit/Dex. The lack of proper selfhealing evidently seems to be one of the things that makes game pretty hard on elite.

I'm not sure, but I bet that everyone that's face rolling Elite content right now, is an engineer, or Berserker.

Obviously, this is on HC mode.
    Interesting setup. I'm also running Engineer, and I have found the joys of having a giant f-ing cannon. Seriously, the cannon burst ability is literally one-two shotting everything when I play with my buddy on Veteran mode. We're probably gonna try Elite as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Lashmoo View Post
    Interesting setup. I'm also running Engineer, and I have found the joys of having a giant f-ing cannon. Seriously, the cannon burst ability is literally one-two shotting everything when I play with my buddy on Veteran mode. We're probably gonna try Elite as a result.
    Aye, cannon is fun Veteran is definitely, noticeably, easier than Elite though. Don't expect to be able to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    The most important mod right now is a full-respecc mod. I really want to play around and try out different talent trees.
    http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=34271

Quote Originally Posted by Lashmoo View Post
    I'm all about cannon right now. Cannon and spider mines. It's great for mowing through mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    That seems rather risky, really don't want to mess something up :s
    Rather wait for a mod.
    A mod will likely be more risky, but we won't know until the editor is actually released. If I remember correctly, characters (not your account) are the things that get flagged and if all you do is reset your skill points, it should not flag your character. This might be a bug, but it's the way it works until they patch the game (hopefully) later this week.
    Last edited by Truhan; 2012-09-22 at 07:50 PM.

The game is pretty damn great, and rewarding, just how an ARPG should be. While it is far from perfect, it makes you want to continue playing by simply being engaging and fun. It approaches the genre differently than D3, and in some ways, especially the distribution of the loot and side quests, it does things much better (I just realized how much I missed low level sets and fun legendaries).
    All in all, very much worth the money, even before all the juicy modding that is about to happen. And I highly recommend it to any fan of the genre.

Still waters run deep.

Thank you

resetskills on console worked perfectly.
    Last edited by Blackdecker; 2012-09-22 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturate View Post
    The game is pretty damn great, and rewarding, just how an ARPG should be. While it is far from perfect, it makes you want to continue playing by simply being engaging and fun. It approaches the genre differently than D3, and in some ways, especially the distribution of the loot and side quests, it does things much better (I just realized how much I missed low level sets and fun legendaries).
    All in all, very much worth the money, even before all the juicy modding that is about to happen. And I highly recommend it to any fan of the genre.
    I agree entirely. It's as if Runic let ARPG be ARPG. Blizzard just had to micromanage every detail. Change small subsections of what made ARPG great. Mess with the core of the game (loot) to be able to implement a RMAH.

I too, think the game is far from perfect. Occasionally buggy even, but it does not mess with the concept of ARPG. Also, sometimes you really need to be on the ball on boss fights, take out ranged fast before they swarm you. I love that, thinking tactically.

I am lukewarm about the game so far because I am generally worn out on the ARPG genre after the mess of Diablo 3.

Playing on Elite right now, and I have mixed impressions. I like the game, but the AI feels ... strange, for the lack of better word. Mobs don't really swarm me as much as chase for a while, then leave me alone if I am over one screen away, making it super simple to kite them. Bosses spawn infinite adds, which is not bad, but (at least on elite) bosses have hundreds of thousands of hp, even in Act1 (my 250 cannon crits hardly move the hp bar of General Grell, for instance), leading to 15 minute long fights of nothing but running circles and taking shots as long as my bots can restore my mana.

Not sure if its like this later on.