Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    It's not like WoW, but you should definately give it a try anyways. If you only stick with 1 genre of games, you'll not only become quite bored with gaming, but you'll also miss out on the best games, especially if you only stick to MMOs. It is just like with music.

it's more like guild wars was, your world is instanced

Not true at all, they both also have gear grinds where you have to pray to the Diablo gods that the right stuff drops (IE When playing my eventual Time Wizard later I don't want DH bows).

Quote Originally Posted by Udontknowme View Post
    so ive never played any of the diablo games, but im excited for tonight anyway. then i started reading up on the game and stuff and ive always thought it was kinda like wow, but it seemed more like a singleplayer game? is this the case?? can u see other ppl while questing?do u raid and stuff??
    D3 is nothing like WoW.

It is a dungeon crawler hack and slash RPG.
    It has a 4 player co-op mode, with each new person joining your server increases the difficulty, xp, and loot drops (more people = more loot).

D3 is used by a controller, or by mouse click to move (or hold to move to that direction).

You can check youtube for gameplay footage. Or, if you've played Dungeon Hunter for the Iphone/ipad, then it's a better copy of that.

Deleted
    Please... don't hurt... my... feelings and don't compare Diablo to WoW!

When will people learn, Diablo isn't WoW...

The genre of Diablo is completely different - it's a hack n' slash. Moreover you don't have the "Holy Trinity" of classes (tank, dps, healer), all the classes are there just to smash through hordes of enemies. And there are many differences between those two games. One huge similarity, yet so different - you get loot, better loot is harder to obtain, but still - in Diablo 3 items get randomized stats, whereas in WoW certain epics have their stats set in stone.

Once again, and don't take it personally, I don't want to harm anyone or tell them bad things about them, but please, do not compare Diablo to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    To answer your title alone : absolutely 11,000,000 times NO.

To answer your actual post : there is small co-op play supported (up to four people), but if you are playing solo the only time you will really see anyone else is in town. Once entering combat areas you won't see other people as it is all, in essence, "instanced".
    This is pretty much what I got out of the beta as well but to add, the entire diablo series takes the "grind" mindset to an entirely new level. It's grind to the max once you've been through the game once.

Be prepared to do the same thing, over and over and over with variable talents hitting the same mobs you killed before.

but if it's anything like the previous diablo series, the story will be second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I guess you are from a younger generation. I'm myself 30+ and grew up with games that usually required a lot of work from the player himself. Games have changed over the years and become much more user friendly. Diablo harkens back to a time when gaming wasn't about getting instant gratification, and you either like that style or you don't. There's not much of middle way here.

See my answer to "ZeroEdgeir".

I love difficult games but not farming, it's pointless to farm content over and over again when you already saw the ending. If you could play Inferno or at least Hell from the start it would be better. I love difficulty but i don't like the idea of knowing what will happen next with just a few more mechanics and a bit harder.

It's kinda like WoW, i used to raid in TBC because i liked the idea of dying a lot in a boss until you kill him to finally see the next one. That's "good" farming and real difficult for me. Now what happens is that you kill bosses easily in LFR / Normal so when you kill it in Heroic it doesn't feel awesome anymore, and you already know what boss is coming next because you have killed it, it's just now it's a bit harder.

I am only 19, but that thing of generation is bulls**t. Just because i don't like to farm / this kind of progressing ( Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno ) doesn't mean i like easy games.

Its very different but that said allot of aspects of wow actually came from Diablo 2. Talent setup was pretty much a copy from Diablo 2 ( that said blizz didnt come up with the idea of talents)

Runes , gems, items from diablo had a big influence on WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    My money says you grew up when at least the XBox/PS2/GameCube were the current consoles available on the market, making you about 9-11 in the year 2002. It's a matter of perspective of different generations. The challenge level in the Diablo-styled games, once you get up to higher difficulties, is what drives you to complete it over and over, the reward is getting those items you really want. If the game's loot wasn't randomized, and system wasn't designed to promote farming, nobody would play beyond one playthrough, cause there would be no replay value, short of the varying classes.

The instant gratification you are looking for, is going to come from spending like 2 hours playing, having completed a fair chunk of a single Act's storyline, killed ALOT of demons and undead, and got a pile of shiny treasure to show for it. It is far more faster-paced than WoW ever will be, and totally reliant on your skill level, and not a group, to beat any content.
    I'm 18 this month so i'm 'quite' young (e.g. I played ps1, dreamcast, gameboy color in my childhood) but I also played Diablo 2 and it was a very big game in terms of everything I played as a child... Later xbox/ps2/gamecube were also big things.. But I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, as one of my favorite childhood games is Diablo 2, the same with quite a number of my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. Made by the same company, that's it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    but if you are playing solo the only time you will really see anyone else is in town. Once entering combat areas you won't see other people as it is all, in essence, "instanced".
    care to explain what the hell you´re talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people have said D3 is a single player game. Its not, It was not designed as a single player game. Jay Wilson, specifically stated that D3 was created as a co-op game from the ground up. Single player is simply an option in D3. This is a heavy community game. Just because you can play single player, does not mean its a single player game.

Its nothing like WoW. Thats like saying Halo and Max Payne are the same type of games. Sure they both shoot guns, but thats about it.

Diablo has been a multiplayer game from its inception back in 1996.
    Battle.net was created for Diablo multiplayer.

There is the option to play alone, but technically you could also do that in WOW....don't join a guild, don't make friends, solo quests to your hearts content. (but damn, what's the point?)
    That goes against the intent of Blizzard with both of these games.

You'll find Diablo 3 is a much richer experience by embracing multi-player, also the loot drops are better when you have more players in your game instance.
    More players causes the monsters to scale up in difficulty, and scales up the loot they drop.

As for similarities to WOW, there are quite a few:

You get to min/max gear to your hearts content, and customize your skill tree to fit your play style.
    It has the rune system which is very much akin to wow's glyph system.
    You have health, mana, fury, and various other energy resources depending on your class.
    both are role-playing games, where you get experience points and gain levels.
    Some classes can buff other players with auras, and battle shouts etc.
    Medieval fantasy settings, however the art style and music is far darker than wow.

But yeah, it doesn't play like wow, youtube some gameplay footage to see what I mean...

hope that helps people trying to decide if they want to give D3 a shot. It's going to be a hell of a game.

For myself, I'll continue raiding in wow and play diablo too!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
    Medieval fantasy settings, however the art style and music is far darker than wow.
    Love your whole post, but just wanted to add that I really want to see more rainbows and unicorns in my D3.

Oh memories.

I don't wanna sound rude, but how hard it can be to go watch some youtube vids instead of having this thread show up every second day now.

Lots of people seems to be wrong. It's not a singleplayer game with multiplayer option.

It's an online coop game with the ability to play solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Differences between an MMO and Diablo.

-No persistent world! In an MMO there is a world out there and you venture forth into it, this world is persistent and it's lay out is set in stone. Durotar will always have the same layout and it's mobs will be exactly where you left them the last time you leveled a toon there. In Diablo the world isn't persistent, there is no capital to stand in just the lobby on bnet or in town in your own private instance with up to 3 of your mates, the world will only be there whilst your logged in, once you log out that world disappears into the void. Equally if we had Durotar in D3 (we don't but....yeah) then no 2 Durotars would ever be the exact same, it might have different ratios of monsters and Razor Hill won't be slap bang in the middle of it this time, instead it will move every time you create a new game.

-Solo play! In an MMO then certain areas are balanced around having a group of a certain size and are designed to be impossible to solo for the most part. At no point was my DK ever meant to bitch slap Arthas on his own, no him and his guild are meant to do it together. In Diablo my DK is meant to be able to solo Arthas, it might be harder and sometimes you might not have the raw numbers but at some point my DK will be able to slay everything from LK to DW without the need for allies.

-Random! In an MMO then my Awesome Sword of Awesome will always be the same as the next Awesome Sword of Awesome, it will drop of a boss who constantly casts Puddle of Awesome that the group must avoid and Ray of Awesome which must be soaked by the Tank popping his Shield of Awesome or another defensive CD. In Diablo my Awesome Sword of Awesome might have better or worse stats than the next guys Awesome Sword of Awesome, his might have 20% Enhanced Damage whilst mine only has 15%, his might have +1 to Should of Awesome whilst mine has +1 to Shield of Awesome. Not only that but the dude who dropped my Awesome Sword of Awesome might no longer have Ray of Awesome the next time I meet him, he might have Rain of Awesome instead.

No trinity! In an MMO your either of 1 of 3 things at any one time, whilst in Diablo you will be what you want to be whenever you want to be it. There is no Tank, no Healer and no DPS, you yourself are all 3 or as much as each one as you want to be. If you character can't survive a few hits then you might want to bring in a defensive skill, if you can't kill mobs then you need to find a more effective DPS skill and if your in a group you might want to sacrifice one of your skills for something that everyone in the party can benefit from. The choice is yours, if that monster keeps handing your ass to you then your problem, not that the monster requires a Tank and a Healer whilst your just a DPS trying to solo.

Think that covers most of the key differences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    My money says you grew up when at least the XBox/PS2/GameCube were the current consoles available on the market, making you about 9-11 in the year 2002. It's a matter of perspective of different generations. The challenge level in the Diablo-styled games, once you get up to higher difficulties, is what drives you to complete it over and over, the reward is getting those items you really want. If the game's loot wasn't randomized, and system wasn't designed to promote farming, nobody would play beyond one playthrough, cause there would be no replay value, short of the varying classes.

The instant gratification you are looking for, is going to come from spending like 2 hours playing, having completed a fair chunk of a single Act's storyline, killed ALOT of demons and undead, and got a pile of shiny treasure to show for it. It is far more faster-paced than WoW ever will be, and totally reliant on your skill level, and not a group, to beat any content.
    I'm 19 and have enjoyed the Diablo series for the last 13-14 years. Don't quite think the generation has everything to do with wanting instant gratification.
    Last edited by Cinnamohn; 2012-05-14 at 05:48 PM.