Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    do it better yourself then
    any game which prevents me from playing it on MY computer because of a third party is a broken game. Blizzard needs to allow solo play without access to any network connection, especially when its proven they cannot guarantee availability.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    any game which prevents me from playing it on MY computer because of a third party is a broken game. Blizzard needs to allow solo play without access to any network connection, especially when its proven they cannot guarantee availability.
    No, they dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    It's like snow in britain. We get disruptive snow here for a couple of days every year or 2, it happens so rarely that it's cheaper to just put up with it than it is to invest in all these massive unnecessary purchases to deal with it.

It will all be forgotten within a week, the cata launch was just as frustrating but how often do you see that mentioned nowadays?
    WOW had server problems for WEEKS at launch ...

End WOW result: 8 billion dollars revenue after 7.5 years.

Diablo's single server per continent structure for millions of people is simply too new and too massive to launch without trouble.

Same company , same success rate no doubt.

Diablo 3 just made hack/slash back mainstream again ... just like WOW made MMO's mainstream.
    The rest of the competitors only deliver half baked copycats (just fill in the massive number of (upcoming) MMO's fails over all these years).

So call Blizzard amateurish.

You have no clue about anything.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-05-16 at 10:23 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    That's totally how easy and quick it is brah
    If you have a game/server park that is developped with scalability in mind, then load balancing can easily be solved by plugging in extra server racks.
    I do understand that the first few hours can be very hectic, but 24 hours after launch, things should have been running reasonably smooth. And it didn’t.

Blizzard knew the amount of AP holders and pre purchases and should have anticipated this kind of load in the first few days and they should have been prepared by having extra servers, having more different regions (to ease up on the load peaks) and by having a queue system in place.
    The error 37 and error 75 appear to be a server capacity problem. And that could have been solved before launch.

And stop with the “brah” shit, it is old, annoying and makes you look like a child.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    More servers is not the answer to everything.
    Christ, be realistic.
    More server capacity IS the answer to server capacity problems. Which is what error 37 and 75 is.
    If the majority of the problems rise at peak time, then it is quite obvious that your current server park cannot handle the load, and you have to come with a solution that balances load.
    I do realize that you cannot extent into infinity though, let that be said.
    I also do realise that a server infrastructure is not easily extended if you hadn’t taken scalability in mind, but I do think blizzard has enough knowledge to have thought of a system that is scalable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    What if then a ton of people stop using the cars and they need to be scrapped because too little people use them? Launch day will usually be the highest peak of any game and after that, the need of those servers will be dimished. It's a temporary problem that will be solved and since companies do not like to waste money by using temporary fixes to solve such an issue it will be hard to argue that it's what's best for the company as a whole.
    In a world with outsourcing, do you honestly think that Blizzard is the rightfull owner of all these servers?? I am betting a lot of money that a number of these servers is on a hire basis, just to be flexible with server parks and not having to buy servers that sit on a shelf for half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by patcherke View Post
    If you have a game/server park that is developped with scalability in mind, then load balancing can easily be solved by plugging in extra server racks.
    I do understand that the first few hours can be very hectic, but 24 hours after launch, things should have been running reasonably smooth. And it didn’t.

Blizzard knew the amount of AP holders and pre purchases and should have anticipated this kind of load in the first few days and they should have been prepared by having extra servers, having more different regions (to ease up on the load peaks) and by having a queue system in place.
    The error 37 and error 75 appear to be a server capacity problem. And that could have been solved before launch.

And stop with the “brah” shit, it is old, annoying and makes you look like a child.

More server capacity IS the answer to server capacity problems. Which is what error 37 and 75 is.
    If the majority of the problems rise at peak time, then it is quite obvious that your current server park cannot handle the load, and you have to come with a solution that balances load.
    I do realize that you cannot extent into infinity though, let that be said.
    I also do realise that a server infrastructure is not easily extended if you hadn’t taken scalability in mind, but I do think blizzard has enough knowledge to have thought of a system that is scalable.

In a world with outsourcing, do you honestly think that Blizzard is the rightfull owner of all these servers?? I am betting a lot of money that a number of these servers is on a hire basis, just to be flexible with server parks and not having to buy servers that sit on a shelf for half the time.
    4 million rats trying to enter one single hole is always giving problems. Period.

And you were wrong about the 24 hours case. In EU and US it is hardly a problem at the moment ... 30+ hours after launch.

Comparing it with MMO's is silly as these have dozens of different realm servers (welcome dead servers 4 weeks after launch ...) (like WOW's own 900 world realm servers). D3 was a WORLD first: having ONE server cluster for MILLIONS of players per continent. NEVER DONE BEFORE (not even in COD because of the SPREAD...)

And not even discussing bandwith limitations at all.

So patcherke it is time you come to the REAL network administrator worlds for once.

It is a game: not a life.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-05-16 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    I am with you OP. No offline mode was the WORST IDEA EVA.

Manage to lvl11 right in the middle of a dugeon when I got kicked out. Then no possible login. So not only are servers full, but they are unstable and probably kick players left and right. For a dungeon crawler, that's a bad bad idea..
    ^ Tru that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    ^ Tru that.
    I don't even believe it because tru is written true.

As he said "in the middle of a dungeon", what dungeon ? In D3 you come back at a restore point. Loss of time is what ? 20 seconds ? Also the connection leech is not ended within 15 minutes, so the log in (IF it already happened) is immediatley, since the server session is still active.

it reminds me too much of someone who thinks about a WOW dungeon talking like that.

So not true. I call the challenge. No one is going to whine much if you lost connection since the FAST fun and restore is compete different than a WOW dungeon crawl.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-05-16 at 11:20 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskmourne View Post
    I've been playing without experiencing a single error message or disconnection. I must say: amazing job Blizzard.
    Same with me. Took me about 35 minutes to log in. Could play without any bugs or lags (a rare thing already *cough SWTOR cough*), and could log in the next day without any problems.

Good job Blizzard. Great launch.

<insert "why so many servers for launch?" comment here>

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Same with me. Took me about 35 minutes to log in. Could play without any bugs or lags (a rare thing already *cough SWTOR cough*), and could log in the next day without any problems.

Good job Blizzard. Great launch.

<insert "why so many servers for launch?" comment here>
    same here

10char

I pretty much agree.

They have enough experience, and then the stress test from beta, to know this would happen. They have the resources to do what needed to be done, but the reality is they knew it would only be needed at launch, and probably for expansion launches. So 2-3 times. Why spend the money to create a system to fix it when at most, you will use it 2-3 times? And in the end, while your customers will be upset, they already bought the game and will keep playing anyway. It was purely a business decision. It wasn't worth the money.
    I don't like it. I don't agree with it. But that is what happened. Because if they wanted to fix it, they could have. The problem seem to be that there were just far to many people hitting the game servers at once. So they could have had a seperate system up front that would queue people after logging in, and then connect them to the game server at a rate the game server could handle. Yes, it would have required additional hardware and several programmers / network engineers to get it working. However, it could have been done. It just wasn't worth the investment since it would only be needed at launch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    4 million rats trying to enter one single hole is always giving problems. Period.

And you were wrong about the 24 hours case. In EU and US it is hardly a problem at the moment ... 30+ hours after launch.

Comparing it with MMO's is silly as these have dozens of different realm servers (welcome dead servers 4 weeks after launch ...) (like WOW's own 900 world realm servers). D3 was a WORLD first: having ONE server cluster for MILLIONS of players per continent. NEVER DONE BEFORE (not even in COD because of the SPREAD...)

And not even discussing bandwith limitations at all.

So patcherke it is time you come to the REAL network administrator worlds for once.

It is a game: not a life.
    Those 4 million rats entering the same hole is the problem, everyone knows that, nobody is discussing that or denying it.
    We are discussing WHY there weren’t more frigging holes for those rats.
    Don’t you think, as a REAL world network administrator that designing ONE server cluster for millions of players, was a smart move to start with? Bandwidth wise AND server capacity wise?
    If everyone is going through the same log in server at the same time, ofc there are capacity problems. That is not hard to find out.

And sorry, yes it was 20 hours after launch when I tried it yesterday, not 24, I’ll give you that.

I am very well aware of limitations, but let us be honest: do you think, as network administrator, there was nothing more that could have been done beforehand to anticipate the problem everyone knew was going to be there?

Things like :
    More different regions with their dedicated server park ?
    Temporary extra servers to catch the load?
    A queue system for moment when shit does hit the fan and you are near or at full server capacity?

And before you make assumptions again: I am working in IT. If our team pulled this trick on a customer, I am sure we will be in trouble.

That being said: I am sure the network admins are working overtime right now to fix the issues asap, and respect for that, but I also do think that things (or the majority of them) could have been solved proactively instead of what is happening now.
    The only feeling I got yesterday was that I was using software of a third world company, and not from such a big one like Blizzard.
    I also know that I won’t be playing the next few days until everything is really stable. It is not worth the hassle. I have more fun to do with my free time than to wait on a login.
    I am still convinced they could have done more. Period

It is funny. While all of you moaners have been wasting hours of time creating more and more eloquent ways of abusing Blizzard for their (in your opinion) apparent lack of ability in launching Diablo... I have been playing for hours with very few interruptions thanks entirely to Blizzard's ability to shift server resources to accommodate new users. Server downtime is over just as was posted by Blizz... so enough forum crap, back to the game =)
    5% of people think. 10% of people think they think. The other 85% of people would rather die than think.