Thread: Crafting

10+ Year Old Account

Arrow Crafting

Hello,
    I`m new to D3, played D1 and D2.

Where should one keep the level of the crafting skill? in par with this char level? So far - I am lv 12 - it looks that crafting will be very expensive and that it levels only when you buy that skill lv up thing, not when you craft.

Another question: crafting recipes; will they all be available automatically when you increase your crafting level, or will we find rarer recipes, etc ?

what do you guys know so far, what did you craft?
    thx, have fun!

Some recipes you learn others you get as drops, maybe from random event rewards. As far as leveling it id try to atleast keep it at pace with your current charecter level. BTW WE ARE ALL NEW TO D3 lol

Not sure if we should keep it up, someone else can answer that, but I do know it is expensive as hell. I just got my BS to level 5 and Gem to level 2 and it cost me a ton of gold. I'm sitting @ 400g now. I did find a staff of herding in act 4, I think it's for cow level or something.

I wouldn't recommend crafting at all until you get to 60, it is extremely expensive and the randomness of the rewards isn't worth it while leveling, you could find a similar item from a vendor without the risk and for cheaper.

I don't know about finding recipes, maybe somebody knows for sure.

yeah crafting is hell expensive, but then, atm I don't really have any other thing to spend gold on. Got a few good pieces off it, when not getting any decent drops so it's definately worth it so far. I haven't come across any random recipe's out in the wild, it's all when I level it up. I"m about level 15 and i'm a level 3 or 4 crafter.

It's not really worth it while leveling tbh. At level 25 I've only gotten 3 items out of it that were useful compared to the drops I've seen. Rares drop like candy, considering all the mini-bosses, act bosses, and I've seen about 7 from just random champs/uniques. You lose money salvaging too, most blues my level go for about 75-150g to vendors, and subtle essences last I checked were about 18 gold per so... a lot more profitable to just vendor, especially weapons.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea it`v very expensive so far... but we`ll see. once one has 3-4 toons, maybe it gets better!

---------- Post added 2012-05-16 at 04:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    It's not really worth it while leveling tbh. At level 25 I've only gotten 3 items out of it that were useful compared to the drops I've seen. Rares drop like candy, considering all the mini-bosses, act bosses, and I've seen about 7 from just random champs/uniques. You lose money salvaging too, most blues my level go for about 75-150g to vendors, and subtle essences last I checked were about 18 gold per so... a lot more profitable to just vendor, especially weapons.
    yeah I was thinking that it`s better just to sell my blues and level up the crafting, without actually crafting anything so far...

I've generally been leveling mine up whenever I have a decent amount of gold to do so... as beanman said, not much else to spend it on. While it is expensive, my friends and I have crafted quite a few pieces of gear that have stuck with us for a while - weapons for my barb especially. It will be much more useful at 60, of course, but having it leveled up prior to then can't hurt you either.

I leveled it to 2 on my DH, absolutely not worth it. The useful items I ended up with were replaced quickly and I probably spent like 15,000g on it. I then realized I could have saved that gold and bought some stash space for gearing my alts.

does it reset in each difficulty?
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

dont waste money crafting things. Just put it towards the training. If you're level 12, you dont want lvl 12 crafting, it doesnt work like that. As long as you can make stuff above your level, you're up to date.

Even if you manage to craft something worth wearing, you replace it in a couple of levels anyway. Not worth it. As you said, crafting doesnt give you skill ups either.

Mines levle 3 and got decent but it's def a gold sink

Keep your crafting up with your level and make weapons if they're of equal level. Been running around with the same 2 hand xbows i made like 5 levels ago because they were such a huge dps upgrade from my previous ones (17 dps each to 25 dps each and most drops are just now getting towards 24 dps)