Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Nooby: Why are so many people on WoW nasty?

Hello all!

I am definitely a confirmed utter noob at this game. I've been playing something like 4 days, and I am admittedly not remotely good at it; but I am having a world of fun learning and playing.

Though it's not probably the most ideal or easiest for someone as inexperienced, I chose to play a Night Elf Druid because that really is what appeals to me the most. I've been going around and trying to enjoy it, but I find that everywhere I go, especially if I try to test the waters of the PvP battlegrounds or once (never again) a dungeon... everyone is really quite mean about my stats etc.

"LOL a 15 druid. You're no use to anyone, just leave."
    "Your stats are awful. Just leave."
    "AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Look at this noobs stats"
    etc etc ad infinitum

And It's just so demoralising and simply crap. The first time I attempted to play a dungeon I got voted out before we'd even started. It's just ruining the game for me in terms of the multiplayer aspects...

So... I guess I'm looking for maybe some sort of affirmation that it's not always like that? That at some point it gets a bit better... or... when you were a noob were you 'abused'?

Nice to meet you on such a sour tone. I'm Sean, and barring that, I love this game. (why did it take me so long to consider trying it out?!?!)

15+ Year Old Account
    Just fed up with it most likely. They think just because they've played the game for 7 or so years, that everyone should know their class and the stats they need, and if someone is indeed a new player, they're a nub (Well lets face it ,they kind of are seeing it tells you everything the class does and need, but of course no one reads it).

From what i've gathered. The players who acts like that. Talking crap about other people's gear etc. Are usually bad themselves. Only they aren't new to the game. And if you've only played the game for 4 days, you'd probably best do some solo things for a little longer untill you get a somewhat grip on how things work. That way you won't have to hear all moaning and bad mouthing. It'll get better though. Untill it then gets worse, when you become better than them. And will have to wait patiently for them to find the entrance to the dungeon after the 23rd wipe. The best tip i can give on how to improve yourself, is to read the tooltips on your abilities. Good luck out there!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    get use to it. online gaming is full of ignorant selfish greedy players that only care about themselves, but in real life they cant act like that cos they know they cant get away with it but online they can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleze View Post
    So... I guess I'm looking for maybe some sort of affirmation that it's not always like that? That at some point it gets a bit better... or... when you were a noob were you 'abused'?
    Yeah, it definitely gets better. If you're not put off by that sort of idiocy (what you described is about as bad as it gets for lower levels, really) then I'm sure you'll thrive down the line.

And welcome.

Played it too long Im used to it and expect other people to know what to do as well, have dealt with too many band players over the years, so sometimes Im a cynical ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    It has a lot to do with the end of the expansion too, people are more forgiving earlier in an expansion, because they too have lower levels of gear and are getting used to their new rotations.

Since you're low level, you are more than likely coming across people who have hit the end of expansion blues, who wanna level up a new toon ready for Mists, or who just wanna do something different than log in and play.

And to that end, they want to make an alt and level it fast, without an hassles. You are seemingly "undergeared" and "underskilled" to these people, and therefore they believe you are hindering their ability to play the game how they want to. What they don't realize, or don't want to understand/deal with, is the lower level dungeons are made to be more forgiving, and less about gear. They're there to support new people.

Honestly, this is just my opinion, but this is what I'd do: I'd get the drop on them first, before they inspect you, maybe have something copied so you can paste to your group as soon as you enter, something like:

"Hey guys! I just bought this game a few days ago and am learning and having fun, so if you can bare with me and add any helpful comments on how I might improve or what I should be doing, that would be really helpful!"

That way they'll be less inclined to be rude (No one wants to feel like a meany to someone truly genuine), and if they are rude, then you know that they are just a horrible human being.

Best of luck to you! The others have said this already, but it gets better at higher levels. My best advice, stick it out til max level, get a feel for your class, and then when the expansion hits, you'll be on the same boat as everyone else

Deleted
    If you've played for only about four days, then to be honest, I wouldn't want you to be the tank or healer in a dungeon with me either. Even at level 15.

While most WoW players will consider low level dungeons easy, they're really a big step up from questing.

So I suggest you
    a) continue questing for a while.
    b) read up a little about dungeons and your class, such as the tank/healer/dps roles and which stats you need - nothing in-depth, just the basics.
    c) when you do a dungeon for the first time, go as dps, since that is easiest and least likely to cause a wipe.

10+ Year Old Account
    As soon as you make your way past 20 and the Trial Accounts, everything gets a lot better, as you only meet people invested in the game.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Deleted
    When I started playing (mid-BC) I was afraid of joining dungeons if I hadn't read up on tactics, and I don't mean lvl 70 dungeons I mean stockades and all the way up.
    I didn't think I knew what I was doing at all, and didn't wanna slow down other people or mess up because I was inexperienced.
    When I actually got to level cap the guild I was in was short a person for kara so took me, they said no pressure whatever cause I didnt have a clue what it was going to be like. Turned out my guildies were all pretty crap which I didn't know until I beat all but 2 of them on nearly every fight without ever being there before and without a single epic equipped.

But the fact is I felt bad when I thought I would be bringing the team down, and battlegrounds were the same, I never joined them unless I was lvl X9 or X8 (bgs are now in brackets of 5 of course)
    When I see new players I wonder why they don't feel like I did back then

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow has one of the largest online gaming communities out there. That also means it will come with the largest collection of bullies, griefers, emotionally deprived, shallow and self opinionated people. More on mass, more chance of trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    It took you 4 days to get to level 15? Enough said.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-05-17 at 01:20 PM.

Now that you have played 15 levels, if you are still unsure what stats you are supposed to look for in gear, then you should do some research outside the game. I like this site: http://www.noxxic.com/wow/. Just pick your class and spec and it will help explain a good rotation, the stats you want on gear, which gems to use, and which talents are good. It also helps pick glyphs. Just ignore the people complaining. The only time i complain at lvl 15 is if the tank doesn't know what they are doing, but as a dps at that level, it doesn't matter if you suck still. Never queue as a tank until you have played the instance as a dps so you know the path to follow.

---------- Post added 2012-05-16 at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Volbian View Post
    It took you 4 days to get to level 15? Enough said.
    Way to be positive. He's complaining about people like you.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because there are zero consequences to your actions in world of warcraft. If people are allowed to act like assholes, they are going to act like assholes.

Deleted
    I am sympathetic but... I've been levelling a new character these past few days, during which I was treated to a druid who had joined as a healer and actually tried to heal an entire dungeon in a feral spec, with feral gear.

In game I never see people talk about "stats" in the context you've used, but I do see in low levels people making those complaints with stats replaced with a mix of "strength" "agility" and "intellect", for example I might see an 85 say "your stats are bad" talking about reforging, but when it happens at the very start of the game where reforging isn't possible it's usually because someone is using the wrong armor type or primary stats entirely.

Which makes me wonder if you're like the druid I mentioned above. It's a shame people act that way but if you're going to assume a role in a dungeon with other people, it's important that you understand the basics of how to carry out that role, which I recall the game does a good job of teaching you early on. There's always google but feel free to ask people here for help if that is the problem.

Deleted
    I play wow for 6 years now. Ive meet thousand's of morons and emotionally disturbed ppl who i did quests, dungeons, raids, etc...
    From my experience is just saturation+fustration+stupidity... and they are rdy to unleash internet rage. With time you will meet also cool friendly and helpfull ppl and you will know how to deal with internet retards better. So welcome and gl

When other people need to rely on you, you're held to a bit of a higher standard.

I can't echo your experience because I've always done my research and at least made my best attempt when grouping. I wasn't the best player, but was an adequate one and don't remember ever being abused. Maybe on one or two occasions, but it was usually the other person having a problem with me. Try and identify what the problem is.

Even if they don't need to be so mean, they may be pointing out a real problem. Are you wearing the right type of gear for your class and role? Are you performing the role you signed up for when you entered the dungeon? (i.e. you're not queuing as tank and then not tanking, or queuing as heals and then dpsing the whole time, right?)

You don't need to be an expert, no one expects you to be an expert when you're new. Just try to at least have the right basic stats (intellect if you're healing or balance dps, agility if you're feral, stamina also if you're tank), understand what your role is, read some tooltips and wing it from there, you have plenty of room to learn.

There's a whole world of info out there on every little thing you need to do and you don't need that yet, just look for basics. People may not get nicer, but they'll get quieter. I don't think I've had anyone complain at me for the entire expansion thus far.. they're still not people I want to hang out with and would invite to my wedding or anything, but they sure are a lot quieter.

The first time I attempted to play a dungeon I got voted out before we'd even started.
    Though considering there is a timer that does not allow you to be kicked within the first 15 minutes of a dungeon, I suspect you may be exaggerating a tiny bit about your experiences.
    Last edited by neccowafer; 2012-05-17 at 12:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some quick advice.. the game is at the point now where between MMO Champion, Noxxic, Elitist Jerks and maybe half a dozen more web sites that players no longer have patience for new players.. take a few minutes and learn your class/spec.. Feral Druid = Leather Agility Gear, Moonkin= Leather Caster Gear (although at 15 cloth caster gear (int/stam) is fine. Don't try and tank and or heal for a little while yet, learn the ebb and flow of the game and dungeons learn your limits and then have fun.
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You get all that OP?
    So pretty much read up everything you can about the game before you play it. We wouldn't want to exploring anything or learning on your own. And don't you dare expect anyone to give you advice in a kind manner, because you really should know better. /sarcasm

Honestly wow's community is just another reason why I'm so excited for GW2. Anet has a zero tolerance policy on greifing and just generally being a douche because there are no subscription fees to worry about. They will ban you on the spot because they already have your money. In fact they have designed their entire game to encourage a friendly and more enjoyable environment for their players.

10+ Year Old Account
    people aren't going to get any nicer, so don't expect them to

getting better at the game isn't going to make them stop being assholes either, the best bet is to try and find people to play with regularly so you aren't subjected to the usual PUG scum quite as much