Page 1 of 2
LastLast

D3: Offline character creator?

With all the inability to play offline issues, anyone think that something like this would be a good solution to the whole online issue? Could it work? Or is it impossible technically without risk?

By offline character creator I mean a completely separate character list where you can make a character for offline play only. He can't access online content and could only be used for those without an internet connection for the single player story. He would also be on your computer and not on a server.
    This prevents character hacking or RM hackers Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or it opens up a potential loophole that some exploiters can use to get awesome item dupes and win real money on the RMAH.

There's no problem with having to be online to play the game, people need to stop whining. It's not like it isn't plastered 4 times on the box that an internet connection is required.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Agallochh View Post
    Or it opens up a potential loophole that some exploiters can use to get awesome item dupes and win real money on the RMAH.

There's no problem with having to be online to play the game, people need to stop whining. It's not like it isn't plastered 4 times on the box that an internet connection is required.
    I'm fine with the only online. I'm just thinking about other players feelings.
    And how exactly? The character is not attached to a server nor is he online usable? Whats the loophole?

Maybe all items created in such offline single-player experience could be Bound and Untradeable? ^^

I bet Blizz could think of something. But they won't.
    Spelling and grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kworal View Post
    Maybe all items created in such offline single-player experience could be Bound and Untradeable? ^^

I bet Blizz could think of something. But they won't.
    Why wouldn't they? Your character wouldn't be attached to a server. And as for "Will it happen?" You never know?
    Maybe an expansion feature?

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Why wouldn't they? Your character wouldn't be attached to a server. And as for "Will it happen?" You never know?
    Maybe an expansion feature?
    I'm a strong believer that Blizz only chose such a feature (constant online connection required, and events spawned server side) to prevent pirating.

The whole game could be like Diablo 2 and not require (but give as an option) to be connected. People who wanted to play with friends did, people who wanted to play offline and alone, did.
    Spelling and grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit. True story.

I'm a strong believer that Blizz only chose such a feature (constant online connection required, and events spawned server side) to prevent pirating.
    Pirating? How?

The game can't be pirated (by conventional means) because the events happen server side, not client side. Thus, you NEED to be connected to Battle.net servers to play the game, otherwise it'd be an empty world.

The only way to pirate seems to be to emulate the server side on the background or have a pirate server.
    Last edited by Kworal; 2012-05-16 at 11:50 PM. Reason: can't for can, derp

The game can be pirated (by conventional means) because the events happen server side, not client side. Thus, you NEED to be connected to Battle.net servers to play the game, otherwise it'd be an empty world.
    Source for this? And even so fan negativity and press could still have the potential to push a separate developed story mode for those with no connection.

I think this is a brilliant idea, and think its annoying that Blizz haven't added this feature already, I am at Uni, and for some reason, has blocked access to online content in games, so, I cannot play this game at all.

They did add an offline mode into Starcraft 2, why not Diablo...?

This.

I find it highly irritating though, as I had lag issues in a single player game which resulted in heavy flashbacks of Ragnarok Online, the MMORPG I played between 2003 and 2005. I moved my character just to have it placed 7 steps back 4 seconds later. There were no downloads running or anything. It is another example for piracy making games worse for the paying crowd. I am just waiting for the workaround allowing pirated copies of the game to work offline, giving the superior product not to me but to the guys unwilling to pay.

I do believe, though, that Blizzard will release an offline mode in probably 7 or 8 years, just as they removed the copy protection from the last official LoD version.

You also have to look at the view that not EVERYONE has an internet connection. While it may seem beyond any of us to comprehend what it would be like without high speed anymore there are still a lot of pockets out there that don't have any access to the internet. My cousin is the perfect example. He is by far one of the biggest D1 and D2 fans I've ever known and he was so pissed about D3 being online only that he teared up a little =/. Pathetic yes but Blizzard needs to take all of their fans into consideration. And it would be nice to have an offline mode for those times when your connection goes down or something. Last night I could barely play because it was raining so heavy that it was effecting my connection.

Quote Originally Posted by atomix590 View Post
    I think this is a brilliant idea, and think its annoying that Blizz haven't added this feature already, I am at Uni, and for some reason, has blocked access to online content in games, so, I cannot play this game at all.

They did add an offline mode into Starcraft 2, why not Diablo...?
    I know. I mean if this outcry I keep hearing get larger they could very well develop it for a future expansion or something. But I assume the amount of development that would go into a change in system for offline play would take a while.

SC2 is a perfect example. But since we are dealing with RM it may slightly differentiate.
    I'm almost 100% it'll get brought up as a concern at blizzcon 2013.
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-05-17 at 12:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with the only online. I'm just thinking about other players feelings.
    And how exactly? The character is not attached to a server nor is he online usable? Whats the loophole?
    Well I am not well versed with loopholes, but there are people out there who are.

Like in WoW, if you have noggenfogger and some speed increase (rocket boots I think) and use your boots and auto-unstuck + a d/c macro on a wall inside BWL near Nefarion,that is otherwise impenetrable, you can launch yourself out of the zone and get an invincibility buff. You were then able to enter battlegrounds from your location, and you'd be impossible to kill.

I would have never known about that or even considered trying to use those items in such a way if it weren't for these exploiters. Just saying, there is a possible chance they can figure out the way, and just saying "not on a server, not online usable" doesn't mean a loophole isn't there.

Also, I think the randomly generated loot and even rare spawn mobs are all on blizzard's servers, and if you aren't connecting to them online, you won't be getting item drops or rare spawns. Just my 0.02, I don't claim to know how the servers are really run, so this is purely speculation.
    Last edited by Agallochh; 2012-05-17 at 12:03 AM.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Also, I think the randomly generated loot and even rare spawn mobs are all on blizzard's servers, and if you aren't connecting to them online, you won't be getting item drops or rare spawns. Just my 0.02, I don't claim to know how the servers are really run, so this is purely speculation.
    This is why I added the whole "maybe an expansion feature" thing. They may need to copy the whole game off server for offline play.

Source for this? And even so fan negativity and press could still have the potential to push a separate developed story mode for those with no connection.
    Sorry I can't find a proper source, it's knowledge gathered all over the web (and in less honest pirating websites where ol' capt'n Hackalot tries to crack games).

Deleted
    The only reason diablo 3 doesn't have offline play is because they couldn't be arsed with it. The quality of blizzard games is dropping hard.

Real money auction house where blizzard gets a cut of every deal? Since when did people decide that buy to win is a valid cash shop method.

So glad i didn't buy diablo 3, now i can buy torchlight 2.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessxpersists View Post
    You also have to look at the view that not EVERYONE has an internet connection. While it may seem beyond any of us to comprehend what it would be like without high speed anymore there are still a lot of pockets out there that don't have any access to the internet. My cousin is the perfect example. He is by far one of the biggest D1 and D2 fans I've ever known and he was so pissed about D3 being online only that he teared up a little =/. Pathetic yes but Blizzard needs to take all of their fans into consideration. And it would be nice to have an offline mode for those times when your connection goes down or something. Last night I could barely play because it was raining so heavy that it was effecting my connection.
    Ha, the imaginary poor man that doesn't have an internet connection joins the forums.

And that poor chap played Diablo 2 on what exactly ... His thumb ?

Nope he got a PC and that PC is connected in 99.9 % of the cases to the internet in - like all PC's these days.

But who knows that poor man doesn't have electricity either and perhaps he is living on the street too.

Sorry, but Diablo 3 is published for people who have internet.

And if you don't have that or can't afford it, I think playing a game is not your highest priority...

And for those on the move: every decent hotel has internet and I am not interested in those "hotels" without that fascility.

Quote Originally Posted by Waff View Post
    The only reason diablo 3 doesn't have offline play is because they couldn't be arsed with it. The quality of blizzard games is dropping hard.

Real money auction house where blizzard gets a cut of every deal? Since when did people decide that buy to win is a valid cash shop method.

Your so negative. If your not a fan get out and stop gloating. It's good to give people options. Especially if they are vocal about it.
    Not that I mind being online 24/7
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-05-17 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waff View Post
    Go for it, Runic deserves your money. Me, I'm sure I'll end up playing both.