Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is this prejudiced, or should she just stop crying?

So I have been reading over the "sluts" thread in this forum today, and it definitely reminded me of something I figured off topic might like to discuss. Also, this is going on in my hometown/collegetown/current town so its relevant to me. Im going to link the article, but ill give a summary as non-biased as I possibly can right now

LINK: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1464666.html

Summary/TL;DR : Jordan Ramos is a self described "plus-sized woman." She went to a bar one night, was allowed in the bar, and was served alcohol, but was barred from dancing on a platform at the bar. I frequent this bar occasionally, and its one of over 50 bars in a 3 sq mile radius, and the platform in question is a fairly large stage next to the DJ platform (this is a club where those "sluts" from the other thread frequent). After being refused service and leaving, she came back a few weeks later and was still refused service. She claims this is discrimination based on size, but if a private company admits you, and serves you, do they really have to let you dance on a platform that advertises directly the fact that attractive women come to this establishment? Where do people draw the line with whats their god given right and whats just silly?

Im sure you can see my opinion in the summary, but I am going to do my best to sit back and see what MMO-Champion has to think about it

UPDATE 5/14:
    Said podium she was trying to dance on has been taken down in the club now, not because of her or anything, but because of all the media attention drawn to it the fire Marshall inspected it and it wasnt up to code

Also, this made international news; check out this video from (I think) Taiwan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTARoxgMEYU
    Last edited by Sistine; 2012-05-14 at 11:05 PM. Reason: UPDATED 5/14

Deleted
    Privately owned business can bar anybody they like with having to give a valid reason, she would be better off finding another club.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Right to refuse service" is a fundamental right of all businesses that people seem to forget because they think "the customer is always right" is somehow the law of all businesses.

Guess what, people. It's not. If the bar doesn't want you on their dance floor because you're fat, you have two options. One : lose weight. Two : go somewhere else. It's that simple.

But of course everyone wants to blame everybody else in the world for their own problems. This screams the standard "I'm big and it's society's fault" line that you tend to hear.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Private bar, they really don't have to say or do anything and can in the future post her picture and ban her from the bar anyways.

Protest all she wants she is just wasting her time. Find a bar who will give you better service and give your business to them.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Privately owned business can bar anybody they like with having to give a valid reason, she would be better off finding another club.
    This. Also, her "plus size" is a self-afflicted issue, just like someone who takes up and becomes addicted to cigarettes. You wouldn't see a chimney smoker being able to cause a stir over not being allowed to smoke at a We Have Healthy Lungs Club meeting (cause those probably exist somewhere and all). If the establishment wants a certain type of woman dancing on their platforms and she isn't one, the options are conform or go elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah a private bad has the right to do this, doesn't change the fact that it's really shitty, unless she is big enough where they are worried about her breaking something... which I doubt was the issue.

The establishment can refuse her service for no reason. Even if its obvious its because of her appearance, there is nothing she can do about it.

Well, that's one bar that she won't be getting into any time in the next 50 years!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindahuge View Post
    This. Also, her "plus size" is a self-afflicted issue, just like someone who takes up and becomes addicted to cigarettes. You wouldn't see a chimney smoker being able to cause a stir over not being allowed to smoke at a We Have Healthy Lungs Club meeting (cause those probably exist somewhere and all). If the establishment wants a certain type of woman dancing on their platforms and she isn't one, the options are conform or go elsewhere.
    Yeah. She'd actually have a right to complain if it was a discrimination issue, but all of those are things that people cannot really change (disabled, gender, race, religion, etc etc).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by megrim View Post
    Well yeah a private bad has the right to do this, doesn't change the fact that it's really shitty, unless she is big enough where they are worried about her breaking something... which I doubt was the issue.
    If she's upset that most people find her unattractive, she should lose weight. It's not the bar's fault society is how it is. Ugly people deter customers.

I think it's safe to say most people don't want to see an oversized person slutting around on a podium. She's perfectly aware of that or at least should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    If she should be annoyed at anyone but herself for being overweight then it should be the people who don't find her attractive, not the owners of the club. If she was to dance on the stage then chances are some people would get up and go somewhere else, losing the club money in the process. It's up to her to change her apperance, not the club owners to change everyone who comes in to their club so they don't find her off-putting.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a matter of time until ugly is a protected class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

refusing her housing or medical care because she's fat would be an issue.

but not letting her dance?

yeah she needs to shut up immediately.
    Signature Nazi's suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    Just a matter of time until ugly is a protected class.
    MNnah i believe the US has laws that protect certain trades like Model Agencies and Hooters where the looks of their employees are of the essence... I suspect this would also include bars and discos...

10+ Year Old Account
    Im so glad that the people of MMO-Champion feel the same way as me. I did actually go to the bar when she held the protest (I wasnt protesting, on the contrary i was showing my patronage) and there were quite a few people outside, which really scares me! The fact that people will rally behind her, and show their support on an argument that is flawed from the very basic fundamentals it stands for....... ugh, made me lose faith in humanity for a bit

Business have a right to refuse someone service for basically any reason they deem fit. Admittedly, this seems a little... harsh, but the bar has its rights, and the girl should honestly just accept it. If it's really that big of a deal, she can go find another club that will let her dance.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

Deleted
    It's harsh and shallow, though I suppose businesses can do as they please within reason. The best thing she can do is simply vote with her feet and find somewhere else to frequent that is more lenient and tolerant. I do feel for her, though - society places too much emphasis on looks that will only fade away as time goes by.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah absolutely Rheck... like I said Iowa City has plenty of bars, and as of a census from I believe 2004 has the highest concentration of bars in a 1 square mile radius per capital of any city in the midwest (this includes st Louis, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc). Plenty of other choices, and besides the Union IS the scummiest stella/guido/bro bar in Iowa City, not saying I dont love it from time to time but you dont go there to oogle at fat chicks. I really hope that doesnt sound insensitive, but it probably is

Quote Originally Posted by Sistine View Post
    I really hope that doesnt sound insensitive, but it probably is
    I think you're okay. Sensitivity was the last thing people expected from this thread.