Page 1 of 2
LastLast

No one uses buyouts on the AH?

I was making my first purchases with the in-game gold auction house and had difficulty finding items I wanted in my level range that had buyouts in the price range I wanted. On the bright side, just about any item I could dream up was there.

The disheartening thing is, the majority (seems like 75%) of auctions don't even have buyout prices.

Even when sorting on buyout prices, I had to sift through 45+ pages of N/A's to get to the lower end of the buyout ranges.

Do people just not know that customers want instant gratification and don't want to wait hours or days to get their item?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    That is one thing that surprised me as well. I can understand not having a buyout on a higher level item in hopes of pushing the price up with bids, but on the lower level items you need to have one. At the lower levels, people don't want to bid, they want to buy and get it asap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you should do a more specific search. I know what you're talking about, but I've never had 45 pages of bid-only auctions to go through to find something relatively cheap for the slot i wanted.

Deleted
    You need to refine your search if you're getting that many returns for a search.

As to why so people list without setting a buyout I'm less sure. Considering you only have 10 AH slots i would've thought the best option would be to price items very competitively in terms of buyout to shift things quickly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I don't really understand why you'd bid on a lower level item when there's a day and a half left on the auction but by the time it's over you won't need it anymore...
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    I was making my first purchases with the in-game gold auction house and had difficulty finding items I wanted in my level range that had buyouts in the price range I wanted. On the bright side, just about any item I could dream up was there.

The disheartening thing is, the majority (seems like 75%) of auctions don't even have buyout prices.

Even when sorting on buyout prices, I had to sift through 45+ pages of N/A's to get to the lower end of the buyout ranges.

Do people just not know that customers want instant gratification and don't want to wait hours or days to get their item?
    Just a word of advise, if you look on the search page, at the bottom you can search for specific text (Says something like legendary words etc), the box right next to that says maxiumum buyout or something similar. If you put a value into that (ex 1000), then hit search, everything that is returned WILL have a buyout from 0-1000 gold, and all of the no buyout items will not be returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Enders View Post
    Yeah, I don't really understand why you'd bid on a lower level item when there's a day and a half left on the auction but by the time it's over you won't need it anymore...
    totally agree

15+ Year Old Account
    In my case, I honestly forgot to put a buyout when I created the auctions. Now I'm fucked because I can't post anything until the auctions end (you can't cancel after the first 5 minutes).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    In my case, I honestly forgot to put a buyout when I created the auctions. Now I'm fucked because I can't post anything until the auctions end (you can't cancel after the first 5 minutes).
    Ouch, that seems like it needs to be fixed. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to cancel if there aren't any active bids

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enders View Post
    Well, someone could in theory try to scoop up a bunch of bargains for resale....

...but the fact that glancing sideways at the auction house fills up your quota of auctions makes that pretty illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Ouch, that seems like it needs to be fixed. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to cancel if there aren't any active bids
    Yea it's pretty annoying, I guess they want to encourage people only posting quality gear that has a good chance to sell, and at reasonable prices or else you waste all your slots on dead items that no one wants. If you could cancel then there'd be no penalty to just posting any old junk.

Deleted
    You can't sort by time left either, which is a frustration
    Last edited by mmocfafd1d9a5a; 2012-05-17 at 06:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    It's designed to stop undercutting and mass-listing I believe. Otherwise like on WoW, people will simply continually cancel and undercut. There was also a blue post saying that it's designed to make people stop, think, and list actual valuable items on the AH, rather than flood it with junk. If you know you can't cancel for 48 hours, then you should take more time to ensure you're listing your best items and what will sell, not just every junk item you pick up.

Unfortunately, right now, the AH is pretty much every junk item everyone has ever come across, and a lot of people are accidentally listing without buyouts - and also not realising you can't cancel, or that there's a 10 item limit, and then realising they've listed junk and can't do anything for 2 days.

I think it's just one of those teething problems. It's going to take several weeks, if not months, for the AH to show any reliability imo.

I find it interesting to see buyout prices for level 10 items for 25k up to even 200k gold. Are you really going to spend that much gold on a level 10 item?

The price of items is not well established yet, so people don't really know what to list and for how much, leading to the outrageous buyouts. The way the system works is also not well understood yet. Give it a few weeks and it should start making more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheCripple View Post
    Just a word of advise, if you look on the search page, at the bottom you can search for specific text (Says something like legendary words etc), the box right next to that says maxiumum buyout or something similar. If you put a value into that (ex 1000), then hit search, everything that is returned WILL have a buyout from 0-1000 gold, and all of the no buyout items will not be returned.
    ^^This!

Once I figured out that putting a max price filters out the no-buyout auctions, I always do that on everything. Even stuff I don't know the price of I put a large max price in there to filter out the no-buyouts.

15+ Year Old Account
    This frustrated me aswell. If only there was a "has a buyout price" checkbox .___. Takes ages to find stuff now, unless you spend some time adjusting search settings. Still, there's lots of pages to go through until you find items that you can actually buyout.

And the buyout sorting of items on the "Recommended items" window does not even work. .____.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    ^^This!

Once I figured out that putting a max price filters out the no-buyout auctions, I always do that on everything. Even stuff I don't know the price of I put a large max price in there to filter out the no-buyouts.
    Oooh.. This helps out a lot!
    Last edited by Kuja; 2012-05-17 at 06:50 PM.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

It's common practice in a new "mmo" game. People don't know the value of things yet. The smart ones set a min price and long duration to get an idea. The impatient ones set low buyout for instant gratification. The morons set the price so high nobody will buy it.

its really easy to know the value of items in d3, how much would this cost from a vendor, how much gold do i have at the lvl this item is available for, would i really spend ALL my gold on an item that will be upgraded in 5 more hours.

most act 1 items should only be worth 2k-10k gold the higher end being rares that have really good stats. anything more than that and you wont have ppl buying your shit, i cant say for act 2. as i am not there yet.
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

Deleted
    Sold a buyout staff for 500k, seems they do