Setting a price for items on the AH

So my barb is 34 or so now and the stash is filled with normal rares ... i kinda like to unload on the AH but having truble setting the price, does anyone have some *rules* that could help ?
    and more importent does ppl actualy buy stuff there ?

i went there thinking i would price rare normal drops around 5-10k BO but after browsing a bit around i see most are posted around 50-100k BO ...... does ppl actualy pay that ?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Prices are really going to be inflated right now because people have no idea about the true worth of items. My personal suggestion would be to set your price at a point where you know that it will sell and sell fast. Chances are that the majority of those high listing will never sell and will start dropping in price quickly.

if you would browse more you'd see that there are many for below 10k, too.
    in the end it depends on the item. if its really good. stats are totally random, just because its rare it doesnt mean its any good, it can be a rare with 5 stats and no one will buy it for even 1k if its crap.

but on the other hand, lots of people dont know whats really good, yet. so pricing is a bit of a pain.

The economy is in a complete state of flux right now. We will figure out more of what things are worth later, its going to take weeks before it becomes stable.

Personally I think they are charging to much for the items in hopes someone will be desperate enough to pay. I think you are much closer to the value (that people will pay for).
    (On Dark Iron, US Realm)

Yeah ... my idea was kinda * what would i pay*

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now no one knows what to list at. The auction house interface is absolutely terrible. I've tried placing things at around 3k and a perfectly itemized rare I found at 30k. Will anything sell? I have no clue, but we should get a better feel for it by next week when more people start looking to buy for alts and such.
    Last edited by Aoyi; 2012-05-17 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Iphone typos

ive been selling my rares for 500-1000. Works for me

ok a small update ... rares sells for 10k bo pretty fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using this rule of thumb

Bid price = 10x the sale price to a merchant
    Buyout price = 20x the sale price to a merchant

Rare helm sells for 300g to a merchant?
    Sell it for 3000 bid, 6000 buyout

Keep in mind there are somethings that probably won't sell well at all (bows with STR, etc...) You'll can probably shard them or sell them to a merchant.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    On the EU servers some rares are already down below vendor costs, which is very silly indeed. It's mostly flooded with junk. The economy is totally messed up right now, it's going to take a while to stabilise.

My suggestion is to find the lowest price and undercut it slightly unless a vendor would take it for more and if thats the case just vendor it. Thats the case with any online auction house. That's the rules of supply and demand. If there is no price for what you have or yours is better than whats on sale then raise the price.

People who talk about hating undercutters and they only buy the product right above the last undercut are just buying something for slightly more from someone who undercut the third person who undercut the 4th person and does nothing to stop undercutting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    My suggestion is to find the lowest price and undercut it slightly unless a vendor would take it for more and if thats the case just vendor it. Thats the case with any online auction house. That's the rules of supply and demand. If there is no price for what you have or yours is better than whats on sale then raise the price.

People who talk about hating undercutters and they only buy the product right above the last undercut are just buying something for slightly more from someone who undercut the third person who undercut the 4th person and does nothing to stop undercutting.
    But there's not a item in the AH that is 100% same as the item you are selling, beside a few exceptions. So undercutting the lowest makes no sense. Your item might have excellent stats, like str, vit, life leech, a chance on hit effect and the item you're undercutting may have int, dex, str and gold find. No one will buy that and the item you're selling is worth 30x more most likely

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    On the EU servers some rares are already down below vendor costs, which is very silly indeed. It's mostly flooded with junk. The economy is totally messed up right now, it's going to take a while to stabilise.
    Then buy it and resell I guess.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Deleted
    rare items arent really "rare"
    rare items arent really good every time. I had a ton of this yellow shit. Dont push this into the AH.

If You find an item what you dont need for your class but you say, if i would be a "Insert class" this thing were cool. If you have a lot of stuff, dont go for high price, the auction cant be canceled, its duration is 2 days and you can only have 10 at the same time.

If you lacking of Gold: Stop training your crafters, I for myself invested over 300thousand of gold into these bastards and i wear a single piece from them, 300000 for a piece what isnt "oh wow", the AH offers sometimes realy good rare gear for <20k, this auction are selled nearly instant, but this gear brings you really forward.

And 20k isnt a lot, dont destroy your items, just sell them. Go for magic gold on Items and you earn these 20k in one hour.