10+ Year Old Account

Question Is there a new Final Fantasy MMO coming?

All,

I hear some of my fellow co-workers keep saying that Square is making another FF MMO .... ?? Any legit word on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Video Games Discussion

Next time, please check the forum you're posting in.

I highly doubt it. They're stilling trying to clean up FF14's mess.

They're too focused on overhauling XIV, so I really don't think so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sapit View Post
    I highly doubt it. They're stilling trying to clean up FF14's mess.
    What is up with FF14 ?? Is it any good??

They're probably talking about FFXIV 2.0. They've been overhauling the entire game since its launch (it was probably one of of the worst launches for a game ever, the game was just horrible on almost every level) and at the end of this year they're doing a soft re-launch for PC. It is getting a fresh launch for PS3 though so that's the most likely thing they're talking about now that I think of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    They're probably talking about FFXIV 2.0. They've been overhauling the entire game since its launch (it was probably one of of the worst launches for a game ever, the game was just horrible on almost every level) and at the end of this year they're doing a soft re-launch for PC. It is getting a fresh launch for PS3 though so that's the most likely thing they're talking about now that I think of it.
    Oh ok. I haven't played it. Is it any good at all now that they have tuned it a little ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer5266 View Post
    Oh ok. I haven't played it. Is it any good at all now that they have tuned it a little ??
    I haven't played it since beta, to be honest, but it was pretty horrible at the time. I get newsletters from them occasionally, outlining their plans for the overhaul. They haven't really addressed any of the biggest issues with it, from what I've read.

I've been getting newsletters from them, and from what they're going on about, they're addressing the issue all wrong.

One of the complaints about XIV was that terrain was just... monotonous. They literally had, say... 5-10 or so different 'tiles' that they just copy/pasted everywhere to make a 'quick and easy' large zone. They claimed that was what they had to do in order to make zones with no loading screens. So one thing they mentioned they want to do for 2.0 is to redo the zones so they're more unique, but re-introduce loading screens.

I wish I had the newsletter to show you, but it was sent out months ago. I'll see if I can find it, cuz it's actually kind of an interesting read, to see what they have planned for 2.0.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting! I am intrigued now. FF14 looks ok on the website, but man, if it has issues, what next?

How much is it to play anyway?

FFXIV has come a long way, but yes, it still has issues. The biggest one being that the game was built on an engine entirely unsuitable for an mmo. For this reason, many engine related issues cannot be fixed, and will not be until the release of 2.0.

So if you are interested, but lag issues bother you, and/or if your computer video card isn't up to snuff, you would be better off waiting until 2.0 releases. If you are a type that can overlook engine limitations for the time being, now is a good time to give the game a try and see if you like it. If you subscribe for the current $10 a month for three months before 2.0 beta's launch, you will get to keep that price for life.

What is FFXIV like? The first thing I'll say is that it isn't WoW. You can solo in it, all the way to level cap if you want, but you will be missing out on a lot of content if you do. Soloing at this point mostly exists to give you something to do in between a party. I don't know for certain if that will change in the future.

The battle system is not based on rotations. You will probably develop a general order of things, but if you spam your attacks, particularly by whatever comes up first, you won't get far. Classes have combos, two or more skills that when done in the right order, and from the right position, cause a much bigger attack than on their own. For parties, they had something similar called Battle Regimen in which party members chain certain skills for a big attack, or to cause debuffs. However, this has been disabled for now, until 2.0 I think.

FFXIV has an old school, somewhat sandbox feel to it. The armory system is such that, all you have to do to change class is to change weapons. This means it's important that much of the content be available to you at anytime (needing only your highest level class to unlock it), which leads to a somewhat sandbox feel. With only a few exceptions, there are no quest chains outside of the main story. Side quests are simply found on the map when you are a high enough level to access them. The game is definitely more geared to an adventuring type who likes to explore and be a part of the world around him/her. Lore posts, events, and community games on the Lodestone/forums are common.

Other content available are class quests, Grand Companies (Similar to a choosing a faction except we're all on the same side of the war. Each Grand Company has it's own quests and ranks), jobs, instanced and open world dungeons, and instanced primal fights (like Ifrit). The Hamlet Defense event is going on right now, for level 45 or higher.

Getting into the group content might be an issue for new players. An LFG is confirmed to be in the works for 2.0, but it isn't implemented yet. Right now there is only the player search, but few people use it. Many players have already settled into their own groups. However, you might have luck trying your servers forums to find a linkshell (guild). Also, the game isn't very new user friendly, although, once you get the hang of it, it isn't bad. In 2.0, I believe the controls themselves will probably work more like WoW. You can get information on the controls and other things on the front page of the Lodestone.

For more information on 2.0, scroll down to the bottom of the page for the PDF's here: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...ser/index.html
    Last edited by Selenity; 2012-05-22 at 02:46 PM.

I'd heard square were working on an unnamed free to play title...not heard if it's a final fantasy one though, i'll try to find the video, at 12.45

Last edited by Lagwin; 2012-05-18 at 06:15 PM.