Monks and Spears

After beating normal mode, I went to the AH to upgrade my weapons, and got a couple 1H spears that were pretty cheap. +DEX, Lifestealing, and well over double the DPS my current weapons (axe and fist) were doing. I equip said spears, and go to lay waste to zombies in Nightmare, and I'm not doing shit for damage. My Character runs with the spears out, but any time she attacks the spears are on her back. I turned normal damage numbers on, did some testing, and went back to my old weapons (the less than half DPS, less Dex, everything) and I'm doing more damage with them.

So, my question is, although Monks can equip 1H spears, do they apparently not work? Anyone else seeing any issue like this?

Im unsure tbh, at one point in the beta i was using spears and they were working fine dmg wise. Im level 50 on my Monk atm and i havent tried any weapons but fists since the end of act one when i was using daggers and they were working fine i think. Personally id go back tot he AH and get on decent fists, ones with + spirit generation or + HP per Spirit used are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    Im unsure tbh, at one point in the beta i was using spears and they were working fine dmg wise. Im level 50 on my Monk atm and i havent tried any weapons but fists since the end of act one when i was using daggers and they were working fine i think. Personally id go back tot he AH and get on decent fists, ones with + spirit generation or + HP per Spirit used are amazing.
    Aye, everything but the spears were well over 40k per BO when I was checking. I'll have to save up some money and buy some other 1H weapons. The graphic when I have the spears are just like I'm using a fist weapon, but I have the spears on my back instead of my hands, which is why I was getting concerned. (That and everyone and their mother was doing a ton more damage than me, even kitted out in everything I can do to do damage instead of health regen or evasion.)

Afaik they still contribute to your damage, there just aren't weapon animations for the Monk for all weapons. It's primarily because they use a lot of martial arts like attacks with their fists, so that's what the animation is. I've used various spears as I've been leveling up and have never noticed myself doing poor damage. Granted, I haven't done any side by side comparisons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was under the impression that "monk weapons" gave a damage bonus. Is this not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    I was under the impression that "monk weapons" gave a damage bonus. Is this not the case?
    Do you have any kind of reference or anything for this? I'm not aware of anything anywhere that suggests this?

I'm using 1H spears on my Monk and doing lovely damage, sounds like a bug to me. As long as you can equip the weapon it should serve you well as long as the stats make sense.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.