Page 1 of 40
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Athene pulling out of World First Inferno race due to 'nerf'.

Hey guys, just saw Athene's vid of him explaining why he is leaving the race for world first inferno clear. Basically, they were running four monks and using some crazy rotation so that they effectivly never took any damage whatsoever, a strat which was then hotfixed to be pretty much impossible by blizzard.

So, questions arise;

Do you think Athene's strat was exploiting?
    Do you think it's fair that Blizzard nerfed it?
    Will Athene be a dick and try and claim some kind of moral high ground? (Oh, we did most of Inferno pre-nerf etc, etc)

While I do feel bad for Athene on a personal level what with all the time he and his mates must have invested into this, I cant really say im surprised it got changed. I mean, they said they were effectivly halfway through Act 3 with only 5k hp, bit ridiculous.

UPDATE: He is apparently re-entering the race, now using some kind of 4 Demon Hunter setup.

Last edited by Xothic; 2012-05-19 at 03:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Sounds like an exploit and all I can say to them dropping out because of it is "lol".

Nerfing the use of 4 of the same class with one specific ability to make things easier doesn't really count as a nerf to me. If you can't use 4 Demon hunters, Barbarians ect.. to do the same thing than it makes sense to me. I also play a monk so it's not like I am agaisnt the class or anything.

Sounds like he and his friends tried to cheat this one for a world first like he has in the past for world firsts not at all surprised by this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post
    Sounds like an exploit and all I can say to them dropping out because of it is "lol".
    Its the only way he knows how to win. When its taken away, he claims stuff is too easy and then quits. Its pretty sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't sound like a nerf to me. Rather, they just fixed an exploit that was being used. Nerfing is when they make something easier.

It is NOT an exploit. It is an extremly clever use of game mechanics. But it is fair that they nerfed it, because it was obviously OP.

I think athene does this every time he tries to get something 1st. Instead of doing it the correct way he finds a way to cheese or exploit it so he can do it the easy way. I don't feel bad for him one bit and i'm glad blizzard caught on and fixed it.

To me it wasn't an exploit, but it was something that should get fixed. Athene did nothing wrong by using this, Blizzard did nothing wrong by fixing it. I can understand Athene pulling out since, how the hell are they gonna stay competitive now?

I think they saw how far ahead Krip and Method were, then decided to come up with this BS story to be honest.

Either way, eh lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamlore View Post
    Athene...exploiting? You don't say...
    I wish I could thumbs up your post.

Deleted
    Sounds like clever use of in-game mechanics. It was a fair ability they had, it was a fair way they used it.
    I do think it's fair that Blizzard fixed it, though something like this should have been seen in the beta and fixed since then.
    And if Athene claims a high moral ground he'd be in the wrong. I do understand him being unhappy since him and others put some effort in doing this right, but it was an overpowered ability. It is like in WoW when someone gets a really powerful ability. It's not their fault their class becomes overpowered, it's not an exploit, but Blizzard has to fix it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabuko View Post
    It is NOT an exploit. It is an extremly clever use of game mechanics. But it is fair that they nerfed it, because it was obviously OP.
    My thoughts exactly.

Using abilities in a rotation to achieve something like this isn't really an exploit. Either way though, tough luck.
    Hi

Deleted
    Every exploit is "clever use of game mechanics". But it's certainly not intended to be like this. "Yeah inferno mode is really hard but if you take 4 monks you should be fine."

People that think it's an exploit are ignorant to what an exploit is. This is no way is an exploit, but obviously an oversight by Blizzard. So no not an exploit, yes blizzard needed to fix it. Also obviously at this point like he said there's no way they can level other characters in time to catch up to other people in the race.

I would not say its a" nerf if there was a setup that made the whole party basically invincible.
    pulling out because they fixed that is just childish. i would not call them cheaters of exploiters, but they were clearly using a mechanic that was obviously not working as intended. I'm glad they fixed it before anyone could be word first of anything because of that.

I don't like athene, I'm here for the lulz, but personally I cant consider this 'exploiting'. If you have 4 friends, and say, 'HEY! Lets all chain use this skill right after one another', how is that in any way exploiting? As for blizzard hotfixing it, that's kinda funny and lame. Funny because I don't see this skill as OP, but a potential for OP with 4 monks who actively PLAN to chain use it, which needs to be taken into consideration, but to hotfix it this soon is questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    While I do feel bad for Athene on a personal level what with all the time he and his mates must have invested into this, I cant really say im surprised it got changed. I mean, they said they were effectivly halfway through Act 3 with only 5k hp, bit ridiculous.
    I'm not sure how much time someone could have put into this when the game is just over 3 days old...

I'm not saying it's not effort, just saying this isn't the weeks-long effort you see guilds put into full clears of new raid tiers.
    Cohost Saturday Morning WoW
    www.saturdaymorningwow.com

As always.
    Athene can never play like everyone ? he always is like "I tried something that may be considered exploit, and then they nerf, not my fault bro"
    I like him, nice and funny videos, but come on, just play this as it mean to be played.
    And the "no-stream" thing is really stupid.

Blizzard always said they'd nerf tactics which trivialised inferno. They followed up on the promise.

I'm surprised Athene hasn't learnt basic common sense. A tactic which makes you utterly invulnerable to all damage indefinitely? Yeah, he really should've seen this coming.