Poll: Do you want a Warcraft 4?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Warcraft 4: Either a prequel or set far, far in the future

I just watched all of the Diablo 3 cinematics and they were pretty amazing to say the least. They ring true to the Blizzard spirit of creating quality games with compelling storylines. The dark nature of the story, coupled with compelling twists and finally top notch animation makes for some great cinematics. Starcraft 2 has some respectable cinematics too, while Warcaft has typically always had the most impressive cinematics of all.

The storyline for Warcraft was just amazing and it was a fantasy saga all in itself, even removed from the games. Now it seems that World of Warcraft has left it's taint on the series. Blizzard is forced to churn out lore at will for deadlines for patches, and this rushed attitude has resulted in a serious dip in quality. It is hard to go through modern WoW lore and not cringe especially when you compare it to that of Warcraft past.

While I understand that World of Warcraft simply makes too much money to simply discard. I would wager that even the folks at Blizz HQ know that it is not a masterpiece in any sense of the word. But it does pay the bills. So this makes me wonder why they do not create Warcraft 4 and let it exist together with WoW. As we all know World of Warcraft is in decline. Not dying, just in decline. And as such, it would be smart for Blizzard to make plans as to what will happen in the event of WoW not being profitable anymore.

They could begin development on Warcraft 4 and place it many, many years in the future, or alternatively many, many years in the past. It would have no effect on the current WoW universe and they would still have room to create whatever lore they wanted for the current WoW without worry. If set in the past, it could be in the time before Sargeras turned evil, back in the days when the Titans fought the Old Gods or even prior to that. If set in the future, it could be comprised of completely new characters, characters that merely have mild connections to the Azeroth of the present.

*This would be highly beneficial in three ways:

1.) The complete and utter fan craze and hype around Warcraft 4 would renew interest in WoW and easily boost subscriptions by millions. Just take a look at the hype around Diablo and Starcraft. People would go ape-shit for Warcraft 4.

2.) It would give them a basis for WoW 2. If they decide to scrap the current WoW at any point in the future, they would have existing and compelling lore for a WoW 2 and would not have to wait additional years just to release a few Warcrafts.

3.) Warcraft fans are growing up. And as such, many of us are more attracted to darker storylines. Something gritty and compelling, not something PG. WoW is too mainstream for Blizzard to truly make it as dark as the Warcraft RTS games, but a new RTS could be as gritty as they please.

In summary, Warcraft lore and community has suffered greatly from the popularity of WoW. However, all is not lost and Warcraft can once again climb to the heights of Blizzard games such as Diablo. But for that to happen Warcraft fans need a real Warcraft game, something they can bite into. Blizzard should start development on Warcraft 4, either set in the past or far in the future so as not to interfere with the cash-cow, WoW.

What are your thoughts on a Warcraft 4?

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    3.) [I]Warcraft fans are growing up. And as such, many of us are more attracted to darker storylines. Something gritty and compelling, not something PG.
    This is silly. Age doesn't imply what you think it does. And an M rating doesn't mean better.

Skelington wouldn't mind a Warcraft 4. It would certainly be an improvement over WoW, but he would prefer it takes place in the future, so as to actually continue the storyline(even after WoW butchered it). Whether he buys it or not is a different story, as he's been put off to blizzard games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    This is silly. Age doesn't imply what you think it does. And an M rating doesn't mean better.
    I'd have to disagree with Skelington on this point.

I think that for example the backlash on Pandas is partly because a lot of the people that grew up with WoW are a lot older now. Not that there haven't always been silly things in WoW, but I think that the fanbase is less tolerant of these things. I'd wager that the majority of the Warcraft fanbase is over 18, as opposed to most other games being in the 10-14 bracket.

You have to mature with your audience me thinks.

Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

Deleted
    2.) It would give them a basis for WoW 2. If they decide to scrap the current WoW at any point in the future, they would have existing and compelling lore for a WoW 2 and would not have to wait additional years just to release a few Warcrafts.
    People still don't realise that WoW 2 is completely pointless and retarded ?

Stopped reading there...

Problem with prequels is we kinda know it's gonna turn out okay. There may be large gaps in the established lore, but surely nothing too important can happen there, or else it would have affected the outcome of other events. I think stories should always go forward, or be compelling to a smaller location if it's a prequel. Just a ramble I guess.

I dont think they could make a original WarCraft game until the 2 Starcraft expansions come out, you dont want 2 RTS's competing over eachother when they are made by the same person

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Wouldn't mind if they just scrapped WoW altogether and focused on Warcraft 4.
    Sadly this would never actually happen because WoW keeps Blizzard afloat financially. It funds the development of all the other quality games that take millenia to develop.

The best compromise would be a Warcraft game set in a time so distant from WoW that the lore can't possibly interfere.

Deleted
    If they did WC4 in the past then the war between NE, troll empires and AQ/AN empires could be the case. Maybe throw in pandaren and/or tauren? Vrykuls?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    The truth you have spoken makes me cry!

New sig too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post

Deleted
    3.) [I]Warcraft fans are growing up. And as such, many of us are more attracted to darker storylines. Something gritty and compelling, not something PG.
    since the first game was released 18 years ago i´m pretty sure we´re already grown up for quite some time. why not pg? and where does this "many of us are more attracted to darker storylines" come from? how do you know?

Deleted
    I'd say one set into the future would be better for one set into past would have to be set into an alternate future, otherwise most races could not be represented at all.

And who doesn't want a Warcraft 4?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Most likely won't happen.

... Oh and even if it does, knowing Blizzard it won't be for the next 20 years.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

How about WC4 takes place after the events of WC3: TFT? Ignoring all the crappy WoW lore.

If not, I'd like them to remake Warcraft 1 instead

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    How about WC4 takes place after the events of WC3: TFT? Ignoring all the crappy WoW lore.

If not, I'd like them to remake Warcraft 1 instead
    "Crappy" WoW lore - cute.
    However, yeah I'd like a remake of WC1 and WC2 and by remake, I mean purely graphical. Heck, they could just use the SC2 engine for all I care.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    However, yeah I'd like a remake of WC1 and WC2 and by remake, I mean purely graphical. Heck, they could just use the SC2 engine for all I care.
    Uhm, but he's right....

WoW lore is crap and butchers Warcraft lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It IS crap if you compare it to Warcraft 3 lore.

Back when we witnessed the transformation of Arthas turning from good to evil. Back when we witnessed Thrall as the savior of his people, finding a new home for them. Back when Cairne did the same thing aswell, and decided to ally with Thrall and the orcs. Back when the Scourge rose to whipe out all of Lordaeron, and to witness how the Scourge rised in power. Back when we meet the night elves for the first time, and see'ing how Tyrande was actually a badass hero instead of the kitchen wife she is today in WoW. And this is just RoC.

The only time WoW gave us good lore is during TBC and WotLK

I don't see why they couldn't create Warcraft IV around the story of WoW.

We have the Original Firelord and Black Flight campaign of Vanilla. We have the War of the Shifting Sands. Then the Campaign against the scourge from Naxxramas. We then have the Outland campaign which include destroying Vashj, Kael'thas, Illidanm, Magtheridon, and Gruul. We then have the Northrend campaign and the Ulduar. Then we have the total destruction of the Black Flight and Twilight Hammer. Then Destruciton of Ragnaros and Deathwing. That itself could make hours of RTS. That's no even including the side stories from the entire game!

No, I have utterly no interest in a new Warcraft Strategy Game. I've always found that Blizzard's strategy games, hell all of their games but WoW, are not much fun to play — at least for me. Now if they wanted to make a spinoff strategy game, partnering with Total War studios I would pre-order that game the second it's announced. I love the Warcraft universe and lore (at least those areas that don't go and curl up in a corner whenever someone mentions Knaak, sobbing meekly), and would love to see spinoffs set in it.

Imagine playing as the Argent Crusade and marshaling your forces against Sylvanas.
    Imagine giving the orders that set out your ships from Bladefist Bay to destroy Theramore as the Orcs.
    Truly reclaiming The Ghostlands as Silvermoon.
    Or playing The Scourge and turning the battle of Icecrown Citadel on its head.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I don't see why they couldn't create Warcraft IV around the story of WoW.

We have the Original Firelord and Black Flight campaign of Vanilla. We have the War of the Shifting Sands. Then the Campaign against the scourge from Naxxramas. We then have the Outland campaign which include destroying Vashj, Kael'thas, Illidanm, Magtheridon, and Gruul. We then have the Northrend campaign and the Ulduar. Then we have the total destruction of the Black Flight and Twilight Hammer. Then Destruciton of Ragnaros and Deathwing. That itself could make hours of RTS. That's no even including the side stories from the entire game!
    Maybe because all of that reminds us of WoW and most of us will be playing Warcraft to get as far away from the crap known as WoW?

It would not make sense for Blizzard to alienate the remaining Warcraft fans by shoving craptastic WoWlore down our throats.

The majority of WoW players are 12 year olds that don't actually even read quest text, so lore doesn't matter in WoW. However, the majority of Warcraft players would be adults with lots of lore knowledge.